Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

69 outer grill molding between headlights mounting

For you 69 guys that have these mounted to your header panel, did the OEM header panel have holes drilled to mount this piece of Chrome?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: 69 outer grill molding between headlights mounting

Yes.

71350SS and red68chevL like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Yes.

That.....is an amazing shot. Yours?

71350SS likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Settin' in my garage in the AC.

Thanks

Mike

My

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

MCACN Gold
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 3:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

There should be 2 holes, a larger and a smaller for positioning. I'm assuming you know these were never on a '68??
69SHEVL likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 3:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
There should be 2 holes, a larger and a smaller for positioning. I'm assuming you know these were never on a '68??
Thanks. Well , there was a conversation on here quite a few years ago about this was an early design in 1968 that was deleted. It's in the 68 assembly manual. So, I have early 68, and I like the idea of adding. It's my quirky taste to make little changes like this.

Why are there 2 holes when there is only 1 stud? You mean, 1 for the trim, 1 for the bracket that holds the grill?

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 3:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Okay, I wasn't aware there were 2 designs, I've had a few '68s in here and IIRC they never had them?? So, the original clips have a nub that won't allow the clip/molding to rotate when tightened....maybe the repops don't have them??
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 3:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Okay, I wasn't aware there were 2 designs, I've had a few '68s in here and IIRC they never had them?? So, the original clips have a nub that won't allow the clip/molding to rotate when tightened....maybe the repops don't have them??
I'm not sure they ever were. I'm going to dig around and try to find the original thread.
I'll take a pic of the back side of the molding when I get back home. I didn't see a pin/nub.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 5:17 PM
Tech Team
Ken K.

Scott , when I bought my 69 those trim pieces were missing and no holes in the header. Bought the pieces cut off the pins and attached with two sided trim tape. Looks fine and has been on there 10 years.
red68chevL and 68-13427 like this.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Scott, these moldings you speak of are '69 model parts, not '68. This part on a '68 is part of the grill. No mention or pictures of this in '68 aim. In my opinion the pic you show of the '69 part, held up to your '68, would look good there, using Ken's idea of the double sided trim tape. Terry
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 12:14 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Just curious, were these optional or should they be on all 69's. I have seen quite a few without these.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 1:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Settin' in my garage in the AC.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
That.....is an amazing shot. Yours?

Better make him show you the papers ... you never know with those Jersey castaways

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 6:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Better make him show you the papers ... you never know with those Jersey castaways
No palm trees in North Jersey

71350SS likes this.

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Gentlemen,
Here is the original thread about this topic: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/40-...up-beware.html

I think it's hilarious that it's noted as "dialup beware," BUT the worst part is the photos of the AIM are no longer linked in the thread. I remember reviewing this extensively then (I had no wife, no kids, not much responsibility, and a Chevelle to restore!).
RAMBO and 71350SS like this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Both my 69 Elks had them, and the one that I had painted, I removed and reinstalled them and they did have the little pin/nub to keep them from rotating when tightening.

It funny this popping up, i was just thinking about this same thing (that 68's ought to have them like the 69s do) a few weeks back when i masked and painted my 68's grill.
red68chevL likes this.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in