66 Chevelle hood - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

66 Chevelle hood

I have not had any luck locating a OEM 66 Chevelle SS hood . Question as much as I hate to I am goin to purchase a re-pop any recommendations on Manufacture on SS hood, louvers and inserts?
Rick-P likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 12:11 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: 66 Chevelle hood

I bought one from AMD and the inserts from OPG. I believe AMD sells the same inserts.

Overall I was pleased with the hood. The main issue is at the front face, it's probably 3/8" to short. I had a cowl hood that the fit was terrible, so I was ok with the small issue on the new hood.

Also, I did have to modify a couple of the brackets from the Inner brace to outer skin where the inserts bolt in. The had a huge gap that would have cause the skin to distort.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Rick-P likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

Nice are the louvers painted or?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 4:53 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose66chevelle View Post
Nice are the louvers painted or?
Yes, they're painted to match the wheels.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

You're going to hate the repro. My father bought one (as most guys do) well before he needed it. It was a trapezoid shaped, found this out 15 yrs later. The amount of body work that went into fixing it, he could have driven to Alaska and picked up an OEM for cheaper. Now, do I think it's an isolated case, probably. They couldn't stay in business if not.
The lesson here is, be ready to take it out of the box and start fitting right away.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Rick-P likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 5:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for heads up that's why I am doin a little research first. Any suggestions on manufacture SS hoods on what Manufacture would be a better choice. Any input on Resto parts I see OPG has a special now hood that includes Louvers and inserts.
Rick-P likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 6:11 PM
Tech Team
Matt

I've been looking for a rust-free flat hood for years and finally gave up. If you demand high quality (as I do), you may consider Ring Brothers carbon fiber hood.
Rick-P likes this.

1966 Chevelle, mild SBC stroker, factory 10 bolt, 3.08 gears, column shift, Performer RPM intake. 11.70's at 116 mph through 2 1/2 exhaust.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 7:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

question for body guys, how hard would it to be to add /fix the front edge of the hood? cost ?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

toomanymodz You have been looking for 66 non SS hood rust free?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 8:19 PM
Tech Team

what i see with those repop hoods is in senna's 2nd pic the front of the hood sets farther back then the fenders.if this could be pulled out i wonder if it would.seems that if say you buy repop fenders and no hood the fenders set too far back.so i guess the way to cure it is buy repop fenders and hood then they might all line up.if you look at 66ss's on ebay you can tell the ones with the repop parts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 9:35 PM
Tech Team
Troy

That's an optical illusion. The photo I'm posting here shows how good it fits.

The only issue is where the trim piece goes across the bottom edge of the front of the hood. The trim is about 3/8 of an inch to high. Doesn't line up perfectly with the eye brown trim on the fender.

FYI,these are original fenders. So I believe the aftermarket hood actually fits pretty damn good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rick-P likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 10:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
if you look at 66ss's on ebay you can tell the ones with the repop parts.
What I see with repo SS hoods is the hood trim never aligns with the fenders trim, and I usually can see the top curvature of the repo hood is not the same curve as the original fenders.
Rick-P likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 6:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

My repo hood is also a trapezoid. It took me a while to figure it out but the fix was to cut the spot welds on my radiator support and swing my fenders over to make the gaps correct. Until I did that, my gap to the firewall was an isosceles triangle. See...all that geometry in 7th grade paid off.
Rick-P likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 9:14 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
What I see with repo SS hoods is the hood trim never aligns with the fenders trim, and I usually can see the top curvature of the repo hood is not the same curve as the original fenders.
this could be what i'm seeing also.but there is a definate difference in em.but then do the chinese or whoever makes em go by millimeters instead of inches and just get things close.
dansk: i do have to admit that math is thee one thing from school i use everyday,i try to tell my grandson this and he just looks at me like i'm a zombie.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 2:25 PM
Tech Team
Lou

I've got a 65 Chevelle SS. Nothing special about the hood of a 65 Chevelle , they all work. To make a long story short I ended up with three original hoods that I turned into one good one. I was very lucky that I found a guy who boxed up two of them and sent them to me from Colorado to Florida. Price was very reasonable. Although cardboard boxed they arrived safe and sound. I just kept looking and looking and looking. Asking anyone and everyone if that had an extra hood. Found a good bottom and a good top and re-welded them together. Talk about a lot of work . I had read too many stories about the metal gauge and the fit of the reproduction hoods. It's the gauge of the reproduction sheet metal. I don't think they make the same gauge coming out of the steel factories so the fabricators have to use what's available. No sheet metal shop I visited had a gauge that matched. It's just a hair thinner and possibly not as rigid as the original due to the composition of the steel. No excuse for not having the size and shape perfected by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in