Team Chevelle banner

68 chevelle factory 427

18K views 69 replies 31 participants last post by  1966_L78 
#1 ·
My friend has a 68 chevelle SS with a factory 427. There were 5 accidentally released and now only 1 remains. From my understanding they were used to test boat motors and never intended to be sold. Her father ordered a chevelle and an el Camino in 68 and it was sent to him. He didn’t know what he had until a man from Pennsylvania found him in the late 80’s and offered a substantial amount for it. He told him the details of the car and said that the other four were in a junk yard. She has all the paperwork and we are doing research now. Can anyone help

#4 ·
She is lucky to have paperwork, otherwise it’s just a tall tale that won’t or shouldn’t be believed.

Post copies of the paperwork, trim tag, casting numbers at the rear of the block, stamping numbers in front of the passenger side cylindernhead and at least a partial VIN, someone can help decipher what they say.

Steve R

#9 ·
A good friend of mine had a ‘69 SS 396 and when he blew the engine under warranty, the dealer covered it but they didn’t have any 396’s in stock. They asked him if he was alright with them installing a new 427, so he thought about it (for a second) and said “well I suppose that would be alright!” So, there were some 427’s in ‘68 & ‘67 Chevelles, but not from the factory unless it was a COPO I suppose. Still doubtful in a ‘68.

Reactions: SS427Rick
#11 ·
Being a boater no way would someone or even GM test a boat engine in a lightweight car. Not that there is a huge difference but the cam for starters would be different. So that part is certainly a story. My number matching 68 had the wrong fan (59 Chevy AC Fan) and the drivers side kick panel had a pull vent not available with AC. So it happens especially in a year of a strike, they just ran out of stuff ie Buick and Oldsmobile interiors in 68 Chevelles.

#12 ·
it might happen IF the part was to be at the plant. there was never a 427 engine ever shipped to any plant that assembled Chevelles

Reactions: 1966_L78
#17 ·
Here is a possible scenario.
Car buyer goes to dealer #1 and says he wants a brand new 68 Chevelle with a 427. Salesman at dealer #1 explains that is not available. Car buyer leaves in a huff.
Car buyer goes to dealer #2 when scene is repeated.
Car buyer goes to every dealer till he finds a salesman that says he will see if he can pull some strings but it will be a little costly and buyer can’t tell anyone. Salesman orders a Chevelle and after it arrives he swaps in a brand new 427 engine. This same salesman can do anything. He can get a four door SS. Or even a station wagon SS. He is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. The buyer thinks they got something special and the salesman made a little extra that month. But a 427 from the factory haven’t seen it yet.

#22 ·
Some things to ponder...

First, as stated, there were no 427 engine shipped to assembly plants where Chevelles were assembled... What "factory" would this have been installed at?

Secondly, on a factory "test mule" would there be any documentation (stuff that would go WITH the car, like a built sheet) regarding what engine was installed... If it was "Chevrolet Engineering, wouldn't they just pull an SS396 off the line and install the 427 for testing? Therefore, documentation would be for a 396 car. Since it wasn't truly production, there wouldn't be a window sticker, and with a window sticker anyway there wouldn't be option codes or prices for the 427 engine... We all know that because the factory DIDN'T install 427s in 1966/1967/1968, people like Don Yenko and Fred Gibb went to GM and Vince Piggens and eventually set up something through the COPO program for the 1969 years after getting GM to agree...

Next, If NO ONE else has been looking or heard THIS story, how did some guy find the other 4? And what wrecking yard? How would someone find the VIN of the lost car?

IMO, most likely a dealer-installed 427, IF even that...

For cars like the Z16, there is a list of VINs, correct? But no one has heard of the same for this alleged car?

#27 ·
Either the guys over at the Mustang Forum are all having a good chuckle over riling us up or this is a tall tale handed down over the years. I doubt we’ll see documentation that comes anywhere close to what is being claimed.

After reading the replies, I doubt we’ll see anything further from the OP.

Joe

#28 ·
he seems to have become scarce already.

My first car was a 66 chevelle with the ultra rare 426 Hemi and SuperStock leaf spring rear suspension. Very few of these built at a secret skunkworks plant in Tennessee.

;)

#30 ·
I’ve got you both beat. Mine was a 63 Chevelle SS with a factory 454. Both car and engine were prototypes. Secretly ordered by JFK and for obvious reasons he couldn’t use it. That’s how I ended up with it. It sometimes takes people in high places to pull the right strings. Oh yah it also had a red telephone in it. I used that phone to talk to Marilyn Monroe.

#32 ·
My possible scenario:

A college friend of mine, who cruised the street of Fort Worth with me in the '60's and 70's, had a 66 SS 396/ 375 hp Chevelle. We knew the parts manager at Bill McKay Chevy in Fort Worth and ordered a complete L88 engine and installed it in his Chevelle. We street raced and went to the drag strip often with that Chevelle and we have discussed often what happened to that car when he sold it. If it is still out there, with that engine, some guy is claiming he has a factory installed L88 in his Chevelle. The 60-70's were fun times on the street with the Muscle Cars that were being sold. I am 73 and still enjoy cruising in my 70 SS 396 Chevelle and 2008 Corvette Z06.

#34 ·
My possible scenario:

A college friend of mine had a 66 SS 396/ 375 hp Chevelle. We knew the parts manager at Bill McKay Chevy in Fort Worth and ordered a complete L88 engine and installed it in his Chevelle. If it is still out there, with that engine, some guy is claiming he has a factory installed L88 in his Chevelle.
Exactly what I was thinking regarding the OP of this thread. Plus adding a story of the "other 4" cars. I often thought about installing an L88 into a '67-68 Chevelle, making it look "factory". Never did it though.

#37 ·
1 of 5? There were 5 documented Dick Harrell '68 Chevelles with 427s. Maybe it's one of these? Dealer installed 427s though. There was a great article in Chevy High Performance about this one: https://www.yenko.net/features/2004/May2004.htm

I have seen one of the other ones in person at a car show in La Harpe, IL. It also had the simulated hood scoops, sweet cars.

#50 ·
Really looks like it says 400 horsepower on the bottom because the only difference between both decals are the HP numbers, either 400 or 435
I'm sure you already knew that. :thumbsup:

#42 ·
Chas, they aint tricky if you make them mechanical like I did. Easy peasy. Here's the "clean" side. Make a repop of a old EDELBROCK progressive tripower linkage for the other side.

The hard part was getting the right restricted PV channel in the center carb. I should sell this thing; I dont think i'll ever use it again. Anyone looking to shed some HP over a single 4bbl, and spend $2500 for the whole enchilada? :)

PS, this was the "pinnacle" of shiny bauble appearance in my car. Polished tripower, and polished 074 Winters heads. They made great power, and were a total PITA sealing wise. Trailer queen or drag car stuff. Not all the time stuff.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.