Please try and post in specific forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 67ss4spd

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

1967 Chevelle SS 396 Simulated Wood Steering Wheel Trivia

I've been doing some research about steering wheels on the 1967 SS 396, and I've found some interesting information in the literature. My recent purchase of "The Definitive Chevelle SS Guide 1964-1972" by Dale McIntosh is awesome so far, and I did notice something about steering wheels on page 68, it states the following: "A wood-grained plastic steering wheel was available on any 1967 Chevelle under RPO N34; 5,462 were ordered. Like the standard SS396 steering wheel was the wood-grained plastic steering wheel was now a three-spoke version.

One of the photos says that both standard steering wheels for the Malibu and the Super Sport were the same, "except" for the horn button center cap which says "CHEVELLE" on the Malibu, however the center cap on the Super Sport says "SS". Now, my simulated wood grain steering wheel that I ordered (which is apparently a rare item these days) has a center cap that only shows the Chevrolet Emblem in the center, no "SS". I believe today the reproduction walnut steering wheels also have the Emblem on the center cap. Is this correct?

This is a good discussion about steering wheels, that I had responded to not realizing what center cap I had, until I looked closely at my photos:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/45-...ing-wheel.html

By the way, the repro steering wheels are not nearly as nice as what I remember the original being...but we'll take what we can get right? My next '67 (if I ever find what I want) will have the wood-style wheel!...it just adds so much to the interior appearance...and it does add a bit of the Corvette flair, which is the reason I opted to get it with my order in 1967.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 2:00 PM
Tech Team

I read that, The colored wheels with the chrome have the Chevelle or SS script. The wood wheel center caps were the logo only.
RealRed70 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
I read that, The colored wheels with the chrome have the Chevelle or SS script. The wood wheel center caps were the logo only.
Yes, apparently that is the case. I just wish the repro wheels were closer to original regarding the original simulated wood look. Too much grain on the repros, but I could love with it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: 1967 Chevelle SS 396 Simulated Wood Steering Wheel Trivia

My Bolero Red wheel out of my 67 SS 396 had the SS emblem as the horn button. I canít weigh in on the wood grain wheel, unfortunately.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in