66 big block heater core - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By keithb

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

Question 66 big block heater core

i've put a big block in a small block chevelle i can find the heater core cover but not a heater core. any one know where i can find heater core?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: 66 big block heater core

They are the same for all 66 cars. Your local auto parts store will be able to get you one
Steve R likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 20, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

eckler chevelle has a cover for a 66 showing the core tubes coming out in the middle of the cover part # 50-324533-1 gm#3016905. if i flip the small block heater core around the tubes will not line up with the cover. im trying to get the tube out from behind the big block valve cover.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty427 View Post
eckler chevelle has a cover for a 66 showing the core tubes coming out in the middle of the cover part # 50-324533-1 gm#3016905. if i flip the small block heater core around the tubes will not line up with the cover. im trying to get the tube out from behind the big block valve cover.
Use a better vendor who well sell you want you need instead of wrong parts. Camaros and novas had BB core tubes in the middle not chevelle

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I used a 1969 BBC Camaro on mine. Cover and heater core. Ordered from Ecklers or something like that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 12:59 PM
Tech Team
Bobby

Garage

The brass heater cores are a lot better. I ordered two aluminum ones before I git smart. Both leaked.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
John

I haven’t put it in yet, but I recently got a copper heater core from Oreillys. Using a a discount available on their site it was just over $50. Brand is Murray. They also sell aluminum for about $10 less but it sounds like most people want the brass and copper.

I called a local radiator shop to see how much it would cost to get my original Harrison end tanks put on a new core and he said $225!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 1:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lew

Garage

This is what I have in my 1965 Chevelle BBC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heatercore1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	628014  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
This is what I have in my 1965 Chevelle BBC.
Looks kind of weird...

As mentioned, the Chevelles used the same heater core and cover for all engines, all had the hoses coming out near the valve cover.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 6:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lew

Garage

That the problem on the 1965 is the hoses come out right behind the valve cover on a BBC (if you have tall valve covers) and the heater hose has to take quite a bend to clear (most of the time they would rest on the valve cover side). Also it can make it difficult to get behind the motor. The 1966-1967 may have some more clearance as they were designed to have a big block whereas mine which is the same as 1964 was not (even though 201 were made in 1965). Also with the lower GM stock valve covers might not be as much of an issue. What's nice about having it over by the hood hinge is that the heater hoses are out of the way and away from the headers which are normally right below. The number 5 tube gets up pretty high going over the number 7 tube.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 6:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

64-67 use the same firewall so there is zero difference for clearance.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 12:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
What's nice about having it over by the hood hinge is that the heater hoses are out of the way and away from the headers which are normally right below. The number 5 tube gets up pretty high going over the number 7 tube.
Oh yeah... My old 66 396-powered El Camino was an ex-racecar, with 2-1/4" primaries on the headers (I recall Hooker Competition). Piece of Sheetmetal on the dash. I ended up reinstalling the factory A/C... Boy were plug changes really fun after that (tough even with nothing on the firewall)... Running those old "Cal Custom" style valve covers so not too tall... Cleared roller rockers though..

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in