Team Chevelle banner

Exhaust smell in cabin

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  427L88 
#1 ·
The exhaust smell in my car has gotten much worse lately so I did the light in the trunk test that someone on this site had recommended and sure enough....light was coming right between the lid and where it meets near the top of the rear bumper. My trunk seal was done by the previous owner and looks new and is still very soft. But when I looked at some pictures online, I don't think its the right stuff. Does this look even remotely correct? The trunk is fully closing and is not loose when shut.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's actually concave in shape. Not from being compressed either. That's the actual shape of the stuff.

#5 ·
:cool: Like Brad said: The seal is installed upside down. The seal should be glued to the side of the lip rather than the bottom, so the seal can move a byte and still be sandwiched in between the lid and the lip to create a water tight seal.

Since you inquired about exhaust smell in the cabin, do you have both the rubber weather seals under the hood?

NICE GARAGE PHOTOS. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Thanks! Under the hood, I just have the one strip that runs the width of the hood along the inside edge near the firewall. Who knows if thats still sealing. I can try a light test on that too.

FOr the trunk, I just ordered the "Soff" brand trunk weatherstripping for a 72 Chevelle. Will that come with glue?

#7 ·
buy yourself a nice fresh new tube of 3M Yellow Death. it's contact cement, so put it on both sides and let it dry. It'll stick instantly and permanently so get the seal lined up good before sticking it on. If it's going to be a PITA like that might be better to use the 3M black glue.

Reactions: NickeyChevelle
#9 ·
I received the new seal today. Looking at it, they for sure put the one on the car upside down. I then watched a video on youtube on installation of these trunk seals and one of the first things the guy says is that he walks around car shows all the time and he often sees these seals upside down. :clonk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.