I'm a noob with a 70 chevelle SS - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 6:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm a noob with a 70 chevelle SS

As the title states, I am a muscle car noob that has acquired a 1970 chevelle with a 396 BBC from my grandpa, and I really don't know where to start. The motor has been pulled and went over once, and is now back in. I basically just want to get it running at the moment and take care of everything else later. I have parts like the carb, hei, headers, valve covers, and a couple other things, but the rest I will buy as needed.

I guess my question is, what the hell do I start with? I have no clue where I should start working and I guess I am just looking for some advice on where to start and where to go. anything will help, thanks!

I can't get images to post, so here is the imgur link [https://imgur.com/a/pVYvZ5z?third_party=1#_=_]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 7:02 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage
Re: I'm a noob with a 70 chevelle SS

You should start on the brakes and work from there
davidaugust likes this.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 7:08 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello,

Is Grandpa still around? He might be your best bet at getting it put back together and running. You are going to need many skills here - electrical, fuel and mechanical. You will need tools and a multimeter.

We can certainly help you here but it is tough from afar over the Internet. If I were you and Grandpa was not available, I would join a local car club and get to know a few of the gear heads therein. Hopefully, its a club full of hot rodders that crave challenges like this. You provide the money, parts, beer, food and a firm willingness to learn and somebody in that club will answer the call.

You will have a running vehicle much sooner, learn the skills a nooby seeks and make a whole bunch of lifetime friends.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

1. New Air Filter into a Cover and put on that new Carb
2. Brake Pads/ Valve / Springs etc. and Fluid Lines / you can get Pics off the Internet
3. Check if Old Fuel Lines have any Leaks and Replace if necessary ALSO Fuel Pump
4. Shocks and Springs
5. All Wiring Connections and the Battery
6. Based on your pics
A. I have no idea what/why there is a Spark Plug in the value Cover
B. Clean Up the Value Covers and String the Temp Censer Hard Line neater
C. Hook Up the Carb to the Foot Peddle Line and check that it works freely / Power Wire to the Choke
D. New Rad and Heater Hoses with new Clamps
E. I am not a fan of HEI Distributors with the Coil on Top
F. A set of New Spark Plug Wires / you can get Pics off the Internet of how they need to be Hooked up to the Dist

As you start to work on each of the Car's Systems you could do a Thread to us on what to do

And go out and buy a Manual(s) for the Car
https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/HMS-70A.htm

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 9:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Start installing stuff, one thing at a time and you can get advice on each thing.

Where are you located? There might be some members near.
EdCarpenter, Kirk's67SS and kmakar like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

The answer to your question is dependent on so many variables. Certainly a complete assessment is step #1. Until youíve evaluated the condition of all of the components and systems itís hard to find a correct order of attack. If you are going to keep this a running car absolutely suspension and brakes are always your #1 priority. If itís going to be off the road during this process, find and fix any rust before you spend money elsewhere.

I think weíre all looking forward to hearing more from you. Thereís a vast wealth of knowledge here and lots of folks willing to help.
Kirk's67SS and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 4:35 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome and enjoy the car!

Freddy
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 5:32 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

You start wherever you are interested .It should be enjoyable and fun or you will loose interest, it will be a journey but we are here to answer any questions you need to know.The wealth of knowledge here is unreal.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 7:07 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Welcome....this place has the right people who know the right stuff to help you out.

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

figure out what you really want in a done car so you don't have to go back and redo what you already done to make it what you really wanted in the first place. also is it a real SS or not.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Take photo inventory of all your parts. Lay them out on the driveway or garage and we can see what you have. Then start the puzzle one piece at a time.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 8:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I always recommend to make sure the brakes are fully operational. It’s great to go fast and corner, but you always need to STOP.

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 8:25 AM
Tech Team
Gary

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
6. Based on your pics
A. I have no idea what/why there is a Spark Plug in the value Cover
B. Clean Up the Value Covers and String the Temp Censer Hard Line neater
lol, I believe by looking at the pics, it appears that the engine is a work in progress, and that the valve covers are an old crusty set that were placed on the motor to paint it, and the spark plug was used to plug the hole for the PCV valve.

In my opinion, it looks like the motor was painted, and put back in, but that work was not completed. I would be concerned that this engine was almost ready to be started but has not been yet. This could be a problem if Grandpa put in a brand new flat tappet cam and did not have a chance to break it in yet and the next person that fires it up should research this first by looking for receipts before opening it up to see. I guess one could assume a new FT cam is in there and go through a break in procedure upon fist fire up.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Gary

(oo_____oo)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasn0w43 View Post
As the title states, I am a muscle car noob that has acquired a 1970 chevelle with a 396 BBC from my grandpa, and I really don't know where to start. The motor has been pulled and went over once, and is now back in. I basically just want to get it running at the moment and take care of everything else later. I have parts like the carb, hei, headers, valve covers, and a couple other things, but the rest I will buy as needed.

I guess my question is, what the hell do I start with? I have no clue where I should start working and I guess I am just looking for some advice on where to start and where to go. anything will help, thanks!

I can't get images to post, so here is the imgur link [https://imgur.com/a/pVYvZ5z?third_party=1#_=_]

If you would fill out your profile, including where you are located, there may be some Chevelle folks near you that could help.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
If you would fill out your profile, including where you are located, there may be some Chevelle folks near you that could help.
Or at least drop back in....
gman628, Dean 1961 and davidaugust like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in