Please try and post in specific forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 2:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage
194 led lamps

I am thinking on trying 194 led for the dash cluster. I am not sure if it will affect the resistance. Has anyone tried led 194s and how did it work out?
Thanks,Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 2:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: 194 led lamps

For dash illumination, you won't have an issue with resistance. Most are polarity dependant. So if they don't work one way, flip them and they should work. They are usually brighter and whiter. Most are nondimmable, so you'll have to live with the brightness.

Do not use one for the gen light. In this position, the resistance will be incorrect and it may cause charging issues. YMMV
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 4:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I installed a multi (4-6 sides) 194 LED in the light in the cap on my pick up. That dang thing is SO BRIGHT its real hard to look at the light,, Very Bright and VERY White. I also have an LED in my 70 Wgn. dome light its OK, Nothing special. I have low power LEDs in the corner marker lamps in my 70 Wgn.
I do know....... TWO styles of 194-LED, The " 4 or 6 SIDED ones are SUPER BRIGHT, the NON multi sided ones are OK.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

If you want to have brighter dash and marker lights and don't want led, try Wagner 17177 bulbs!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 6:18 AM
Tech Team

I might have to try those Wagner lights. I tried the LED bulbs and it kept blowing the fuse. I restored my whole dash and replaced with brand new bulbs and it looks pretty good and clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF52BAC7-BA8C-4BC0-A12B-D649BA198358_1585304281929.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	620706   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D6648FE-15B3-4974-B19F-26F6DC665974_1585304302249.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	620708  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 6:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage

Nice, I will try the wagner 17177 bulbs. led is not that great too cool of a light, not good on the eyes
paul bell likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

In my 69 I changed all my dash bulbs and my aftermarket (water temp & oil pressure gauges) to led bulbs. Also did courtesy, console and dome lights. Got them from Superbrightleds.com. They are available in cool, natural, warm, green and red. I chose the warm as it is the most similar to the tone of the incadescent bulbs. Not as harsh as cool or natural.
I had tried a couple different incadescent bulbs in the gauges and was not happy with the results. The dash lights were always dim and hard to see. I am very happy with the led bulbs. Was afraid they were going to be too bright but definately dont think so.
Cant say I noticed a big difference with brightness in the dome and console bulbs but they stay very cool when illuminated. I had actually burned my fingers before when trying to remove the incadescent dome light bulb. So the led bulbs wont melt the plastic lens.The courtesy bulbs are much brighter.
I did leave the turn signal indicator bulbs in the dash regular incadescent bulbs as the led bulbs require a different flasher.
Somewhere I posted pics of my dash lights with the leds. Have pics comparing one courtesy light with an led and other with an incadescent. Same with the oil and water gauges. If i can find those i will link them.
rjt427 likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
If you want to have brighter dash and marker lights and don't want led, try Wagner 17177 bulbs!!
I assume these are filament bulbs and ARE dimmable? I would like a brighter dash but need to be able adjust it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
LeoP likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tday815518 View Post
Nice, I will try the wagner 17177 bulbs. led is not that great too cool of a light, not good on the eyes

That's good info. The original 194 lamp is 3.78 watts, the 17177 is 5 watts, Of course, it's dimmable.
LeoP likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 10:33 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Here is a link that compares incadescent bulbs to led bulbs.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...d-project.html

And this thread has a pic of the instrument bulbs done in leds. Mine are not able to be dimmed. But that is not a factor for me. I was willing to sacrafice the ability to dim for bulbs that actually illuminated the instruments.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...ckets-led.html
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

I understand the LED's not dimmable due to their low amp draw. Anyone ever tried adding a resistor to the circuit to see if that would make them dimmable?

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:54 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Dont think they can be dimmed by a resistor. They can however by adding a pulse width modulator. Not sure there is a way to add one of those in an older wiring design.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 7:19 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

LED are great if you know what you are wanting.

LED color temp is available from about 2200k to 12000k. 2200k is amber color, 2700k is normal incandescent, 3000k is a little whiter, 3500k is white. 4000k starts to introduce blue. 5000k is probably brightest light output or lumens per watt. Anything higher than 6500k moves towards indigo / purple and reduces lumen output.

LED are dimmable if driver supports dimming. Incandescent diming is what is called sunset dimming. Moves to more yellow or orange color temp. Standard led diming does not do this it is just lowers lumen output in same color temp range.

I just installed LEDs in my dash nice White color and I can see at night. I put a LED chip over the Arctic Air panel. I purchased 3000k to match incandescent and now will need to change to whiter light to match new dash lighting. The LED I purchased dim just fine.

I also have LED in dome and courtesy lights and cabin is nice bright at night when doors are open.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Chevelle View Post
The LED I purchased dim just fine.

May I ask, which LED bulbs did you buy? You just put them in and they dim with the factory dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 7:33 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Chevelle View Post
. The LED I purchased dim just fine.
Deon, which brand and part number led bulbs did you install?
I did a fair amount of research on led's and as far as I was able to determine without a PWM dimming is not possible.
Also could you please explain what an LED chip is and what an Artic Air Panel is?

Last edited by blm; Mar 27th, 20 at 8:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in