Please try and post in specific forums

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:07 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Is this crap or not

I was scheduled to get my convertible top installed by Mark's Upholstery in Foxboro Ma tomorrow but he told me he is only allowed to work on my car if it sits in his garage for 3 days before they will touch it. He says the virus will live for 3 days on the car. There is no way I will let my car sit in a garage away from his shop overnight never mind for up to 3 weeks that he says it may require. I googled to see if it is a Ma Coronavirus requirement but came up empty. Sounds like a story to me. What do you guys think? Does anyone know of a good upholsterer in the Boston area preferable in the Foxboro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:14 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Is this crap or not

I have heard that the virus can live on hard surfaces for 72 hours. True? Who knows.
Heís being overly cautious which is his prerogative I guess. Iím cutting everyone the slack they want these days.
Iíve got guys Iíve used on cars before that I would definitely wait for. Is this guy worth the hassle?
shovelrick likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I have heard that the virus can live on hard surfaces for 72 hours. True? Who knows.
Heís being overly cautious which is his prerogative I guess. Iím cutting everyone the slack they want these days.
Iíve got guys Iíve used on cars before that I would definitely wait for. Is this guy worth the hassle?
He has a good reputation. What gets me he told me it's the law but I just got my inspection sticker and they drove in and out. He is not worth it if he is telling me a story. It was a labor only job since I already bought everything since I was going to install it myself but changed my mind. Its not a matter of waiting its a matter of leaving the car there for a minimum of 5 days

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sounds like you can do the job yourself. I’ve gotten to the point I’d rather do something myself than put up with the bull.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:33 PM
Steve

I work in a public agency that has to sanitize vehicles for the Covid 19. The guidelines we were told to use is on plastic the virus can last 72 hours, so I can see his point.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Sounds like you can do the job yourself. Iíve gotten to the point Iíd rather do something myself than put up with the bull.
I can and I did my 70 Buick GS 455 and it came out good, I want perfect. I have been killing myself on this car for the last 3 years of restoration and Murphy has come out very nice but it got the name because it fought me all the way...anyway thanks for the input
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:43 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Pretty selfish of you if you ask me.

If he or any of his crew is in any way vulnerable it is his decision to do whatever he wants to make sure they are safe. Law or no law. I am staying open but I am being VERY VERY careful. I am almost 70 and have a close relative who is going through chemo. If I have to help him with anything I want to be damn sure I am "clean" All of my customers so far have been very good at keeping apart and staying safe.

Personally if you were my customer I would tell you to find someone else to do the job.

That's my take on it.
Greg P, oman, 67_LS1 and 10 others like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:55 PM
Tech Team
Joe

In 2015 I had the top put on my '72. I dropped it off at Fisher-Griffin in Cincinnati late in the day one evening and picked it up two days later around 3:30. How could it take 3 weeks to install a top?
oman likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Pretty selfish of you if you ask me.

If he or any of his crew is in any way vulnerable it is his decision to do whatever he wants to make sure they are safe. Law or no law. I am staying open but I am being VERY VERY careful. I am almost 70 and have a close relative who is going through chemo. If I have to help him with anything I want to be damn sure I am "clean" All of my customers so far have been very good at keeping apart and staying safe.

Personally if you were my customer I would tell you to find someone else to do the job.

That's my take on it.
I am 65, haven't left my house in 2 weeks. Car is sitting in my garage attached to my house. When I got my sticker 3 weeks ago I wiped down the cars steering wheel, shifter, door handle etc with alcohol before and after I got out of the car. I may be selfish but he could have told me this crap before the day it was going in. This was arranged 2 months ago. I am not leaving a convertible with no top at all in a garage for 5 days to 3 weeks somewhere where it can be easily stolen that is underinsured (until completed) or to have it infested with mice or who knows what else could happen to it. This isn't his shops garage its just some garage out back. What happens if someone needs a Ubur. God help anyone who buys food. There is safety and there is going overboard.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

3 weeks?
He was probably hoping you would cancel...JMO
Sounds like he dont want the job right now.
Sounds like it's not business as usual at Marks.
Better safe than sorry for Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 11:04 PM
Tech Team
David

Garage

It's a strange and sad time these days. Me, my wife, family, friends, ALL keep saying, "is it worth dying for?" Well of course nothing is worth that, and the chances are extremely thin that any single contact will be the cause of your demise. The latest chart I saw said that to be safe one had to take off their shoes upon home entry, spray them with alcohol (include the soles) remove ones clothing, throw out the gloves you presumably wore, put the clothes straight into the washer, take a shower.

So what's reasonable? Decisions everyone must make for themselves. I feel sorry for those whose financial situation dictates that they must do something that they'd rather not as far as their safety went. If I'm Mark, I say it's my way or the highway if I'm not hard up for the money.
LKN BCK likes this.

72 El Camino
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 7:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
I want perfect. I have been killing myself on this car for the last 3 years of restoration...
For those of us who live for the perfect car, only 3 or 4 weeks to get there is a blessing.

Time and money is the big hurdle.

Bringing up that insurance value will help you sleep better.
David Bates, Steve R and Binford like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 8:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I used to do small engine work on the side. When I ran into a customer that suspected everything I told them was a lie and figured I was trying to get over on them with anything I did, I'd tell them that they really should do business only with people they trust. Then I'd send them on their way. If you don't trust this guy Mark, don't go there. Seems like it would be best for both parties.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 8:32 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Not crap given the current virus hysteria.

I have an old Chrysler 6 cylinder flathead in a tug we use in our business. Someone screwed up a spark plug hole which caused it to leak compression, which caused it to be lean and blow the head gasket. Itís been in the shop for 3 weeks and was done last week. My mechanic goes to pick it up on Friday. Guy has closed the business up and we cannot contact him. Heís been in same spot for 40 years and we know he will be back but I need my equipment operable to get rid of rental equipment. We will just have to wait.

I donít like being manipulated!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Not crap given the current virus hysteria.

I have an old Chrysler 6 cylinder flathead in a tug we use in our business. Someone screwed up a spark plug hole which caused it to leak compression, which caused it to be lean and blow the head gasket. It’s been in the shop for 3 weeks and was done last week. My mechanic goes to pick it up on Friday. Guy has closed the business up and we cannot contact him. He’s been in same spot for 40 years and we know he will be back but I need my equipment operable to get rid of rental equipment. We will just have to wait.
I am amazed on a regular basis by the lack of minimum business protocol these days. Almost glad I’m retired and don’t have to deal with people like this !

Is it an ego thing,
or
Just a don’t give a hoot about my customer ?
Billdini likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in