• 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib
  • 1 Post By suprdave1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 9:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Sooo, why does it buzzzzzzzz?

So fellas, I’m waiting for all my engine goodies to bless me with their arrival and in the meantime looking at other things and I’m at the voltage regulator. So why does it buzz when the idle drops around 5-600? It doesn’t do it all the time but certainly most, the voltage also drops way down at the same time. New alternator last fall (the old one did it also), checked ground and what not. What am I missing? Is it just junk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: Sooo, why does it buzzzzzzzz?

It's probably ready for a new one. Go to your local AutoZone and get a Wells VR715 solid state regulator. If original looks are important to you, take the cover off the old one and install on the new one.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 11:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Before you replace the regulator check do an a/c ripple test on the alt.

Ripple voltage or (AC voltage) can be measured by switching your digital multimeter to AC and connecting the black lead to a good ground and the red lead to the “BAT” terminal on the back of the alternator, (not at the battery). A good alternator should measure less than . 5 V AC with the engine running. If the a/c voltage is higher than this a diode in the alt if failing.

A/c voltage alternates....so it may cause the buzz.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

Inside original points style external voltage regulators are a set of contact points and some activation coils. The buzzing may very well be the contacts closing and opening many times per second.

With what seems to be with your low idle is maybe the system is not working like it should and with maybe raising the idle speed a tad, maybe this will help. Maybe the contact arm is getting weak due to all of the flexing through the years, maybe the contact points are pitted, and/or maybe it may need an adjustment ?. Alternators do have a varying output due to engine RPM and maybe at this low idle speed things are kicking in and out and the alternator and it's system was just not designed to work properly at that low of an RPM ?.

This is the inside of a point style external voltage regulator (off of my 68 Chevy II Nova):

And while you can replace the old points style regulator with a solid state one and then also swap over the original stamped steel cover, one can still see it has been changed by looking in the area between the mounting surface of the regulator and the underside of stamped steel standoff base. Most will probably never notice but some may. The new solid state regulators do not have the wire wound resistors on the bottom while the older ones normally had them.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Just epoxy some resistors onto the back so it "appears" original

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1 View Post
Just epoxy some resistors onto the back so it "appears" original
And then epoxy on some rivets, an insulator, some stamped steel tracers and then get out the number/letter stamps to recreate the date code and other markings.

Heck, I made my battery topper "appear" original by adding in a Delco Eye on the one filler cap. I have had people comment that it's nice to see an original battery in a car like mine but I have to fess up and tell them it's just a cover.

Jim

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
Inside original points style external voltage regulators are a set of contact points and some activation coils. The buzzing may very well be the contacts closing and opening many times per second.

With what seems to be with your low idle is maybe the system is not working like it should and with maybe raising the idle speed a tad, maybe this will help. Maybe the contact arm is getting weak due to all of the flexing through the years, maybe the contact points are pitted, and/or maybe it may need an adjustment ?. Alternators do have a varying output due to engine RPM and maybe at this low idle speed things are kicking in and out and the alternator and it's system was just not designed to work properly at that low of an RPM ?.

This is the inside of a point style external voltage regulator (off of my 68 Chevy II Nova):

And while you can replace the old points style regulator with a solid state one and then also swap over the original stamped steel cover, one can still see it has been changed by looking in the area between the mounting surface of the regulator and the underside of stamped steel standoff base. Most will probably never notice but some may. The new solid state regulators do not have the wire wound resistors on the bottom while the older ones normally had them.

Jim
From this photo it appears when installed the biggest object for eye attraction is the resistor. Unless you're doing an all original??

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1 View Post
From this photo it appears when installed the biggest object for eye attraction is the resistor. Unless you're doing an all original??
Yep, for doing an all original these little things come into play. Heck I'm used to customizing things and when I bought my 68 I wanted to see what it was like looking more at the originality side of things and boy is there is a lot of good info out there but then too there is also a lot of misinformation out there and this is why I'm adding my views of things here about voltage regulator covers.

Sadly that is a poorly focused picture I found out there but all I'm adding is we have new people coming into this hobby and too many times what they might read on the internet like changing the cap on the regulator will make it look original is kinda misleading. This is why I posted pictures of what I did.

It's just like anything else, how far would one want to take things and what is one wanting in the end ?. Like on my 68, the original regulator got messed with by a prior person and with some work, I got it working as designed but also worried about future failures so I bought a used regulator date coded to exactly what mine is and it's here as a backup. Yep, if down the road I have to replace them with a solid state one I'm not going to spend the time glueing on some donated resistors, stamping numbers and letters on it but if I'm still wanting originality I'll look for yet another correct one for the car.

Even with my 68 and from what I have learned about it and ones from that era, is how much people out there are blowing smoke with what they have. Now maybe they don't know any better, or what, but I get a kick out of cars being in a "stock" class, or in an "original" class that may allow let's say 5 or less modifications and I can easily count 20 or more and some are not small things but large things like aftermarket headers, aftermarket hood, aftermarket aluminum radiator, aftermarket rims, aftermarket ignition systems, aftermarket indash radio's, aftermarket steering wheels, aftermarket underdash gauges, and the list goes on.

Jim
Tom Mobley likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 2:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
Yep, for doing an all original these little things come into play. Heck I'm used to customizing things and when I bought my 68 I wanted to see what it was like looking more at the originality side of things and boy is there is a lot of good info out there but then too there is also a lot of misinformation out there and this is why I'm adding my views of things here about voltage regulator covers.

Sadly that is a poorly focused picture I found out there but all I'm adding is we have new people coming into this hobby and too many times what they might read on the internet like changing the cap on the regulator will make it look original is kinda misleading. This is why I posted pictures of what I did.

It's just like anything else, how far would one want to take things and what is one wanting in the end ?. Like on my 68, the original regulator got messed with by a prior person and with some work, I got it working as designed but also worried about future failures so I bought a used regulator date coded to exactly what mine is and it's here as a backup. Yep, if down the road I have to replace them with a solid state one I'm not going to spend the time glueing on some donated resistors, stamping numbers and letters on it but if I'm still wanting originality I'll look for yet another correct one for the car.

Even with my 68 and from what I have learned about it and ones from that era, is how much people out there are blowing smoke with what they have. Now maybe they don't know any better, or what, but I get a kick out of cars being in a "stock" class, or in an "original" class that may allow let's say 5 or less modifications and I can easily count 20 or more and some are not small things but large things like aftermarket headers, aftermarket hood, aftermarket aluminum radiator, aftermarket rims, aftermarket ignition systems, aftermarket indash radio's, aftermarket steering wheels, aftermarket underdash gauges, and the list goes on.

Jim
Tom Mobley likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 8:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyler

Thanks for the help guys! By no means is my car original, I just got a couple nice big boxes from summit and some nice shiny light heads should be here any day as well. I just figured while the motor is divorced from it’s mounts for a few days I’d hit the rest of the potential issues under the hood too! I’ll have a nice voodoo thingy playing with the lifters when I’m done but I’d rather not have the voodoo in the wires! Thanks guys!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 2:18 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

If you got the engine out I'd buy a modernized engine harness from AAW or M&H vendor. these are quality vendors, not ebay imitations. I put a AAW engine and front harnesses on my 70 what my front end harness fried. I asked them to make it work with a 10SI integral regulator alternator, HEI and electric choke and they made right the first time and plug-n-play.

The original stock stuff was overcharging the batt and cooked off my new red-top dry cell. dang.

AAW and M&H, keep those names in mind.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in