Roller or Flat tappet? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

View Poll Results: Roller Cam or Flat tappet?
Roller Cam 54 70.13%
Flat tappet Cam 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 8:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Roller or Flat tappet?

After reading the Maxima oil thread, and the comment about "who runs a flat tappet here" compared to "who has a car with a catalytic converter". I am very curious to know that answer.

I would like to have a MJ built roller but during my restoration the budget was already stretched, so I have a flat tappet.
427L88 likes this.

70 LS5 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 8:47 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Roller or Flat tappet?

Mike, it took me a while to save for the MJ bullet, and yeah, I paid for and wanted Mark to set up the roller valvetrain.

My 427's solid cam was NEVER an issue. EVEN after I tried to run it in with .100" lash on both #1 valves. ( i kid you not, I have no idea how I screwed up) 30K , TWO break-in procedures as my engine stand rolled one day and all the lifters hit the garage floor ( F-bombed for two days on that one) had Delta regrind the faces, ran her in again and still ticking. No problemo.

So even a hapless idiot like me can run a 7500 rpm solid flat tappet cam successfully. And not a lazy L88 cam either, a really intense modern lobe cam. (same 200" durations as L88 with like 35-40 less seat!) using Isky 8005a springs, and Ti retainers. ( which are not really neccessary)

APPROVAL VOTING is a balloting technique we should use in all our single winner elections. Its really simple, vote for all acceptable choices. The math does a great job of finding a winner, in a large enough sample size.

But most polls, like our antiquated system of real voting, don't allow this.

I vote for BOTH flat tappet and roller.
71350SS and 12stones like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 8:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

The Org. born with engine in my LS-5/M-22 Camino has been running Pennz Oil since new. Now for the last 15/20 years I have been using " Brad Penn racing oil."
My 70 ( FRAUD SS-454 Sta. Wgn.) driver has a 468 with 44.000 miles on the engine. All of the miles are with the Brad Penn Racing oil. Both of my 70s are flat tappet and both use Brad Penn. I have no intention of reinventing the wheel. My flat tappet B.Blocks will use Brad Penn until I no longer own them.
Bob
427L88 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

Like 427, I have one of each.

Very good article below....looks like rollers “ain’t all that” !

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...raulic-roller/
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I've read more about failed aftermarket roller cams than flat tappets over the years. There are pluses and minuses for both. I still prefer a good old fashioned flat tappet.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 11:23 AM
Team Member
Tom

MOST of my engine experience over the past 55+yrs has been with flat tappet cams. And I have NEVER had an issues with any of my flat tappet engines.
Although, I will concede that a roller cammed engine, compared in every identical way to a flat tappet engine, will produce more power. PERIOD. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, does the added expense of a roller cam package (usually about $1000) justify the added gains? That is a personnel call. We recently built a roller cammed, flat top piston SB400 for my son's 73 Vette and he absolutely loves it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1470_zpsigd7ugrs.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	617746   Click image for larger version

Name:	400Dales_zpssychnnuf.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	617748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1459.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	617750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1467_zps7jnuecnp.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	617752  

mr 4 speed, 427L88, OLDED and 9 others like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 11:42 AM

I read so many horror stories about wiped lobes due to no zinc. I know you can get additives and special oils but I was too paranoid. Can't say the rollers actually work any better or worse than the flats.
123pugsy likes this.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I've read more about failed aftermarket roller cams than flat tappets over the years. There are pluses and minuses for both. I still prefer a good old fashioned flat tappet.

Back in the 1980's , US Army's SF groups had a "keep it simple" motto borne from real combat experience. It has real merit. ( now they all wired up and digital).

The other thing Tom ( DZ), and I know you do all your own work, but if I am going to pay a pro like Mark Jones, 1.) I'll do what he recommends, and 2.) that may be the time to add the $1000+ extra, as I did. ( I saved some $$ by reusing my Crower steel rockers. )

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 12:22 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Some of my personal thoughts on the matter:

1) there are still a lot of GM/Chevy trucks on the road that came from the factory with flat tappet cams and lifters....running whatever oil you dump in them.

2) the problem that you run into TODAY is where do you buy decent flat tappet lifters?

3) I don't have the empirical data to back this up, but I have a hypothesis (not a theory) that the success rate of roller lifters in SBC motors is very high.
The second part of this theory is that BBC roller motors have significantly higher failure rates than the SBC, whether the lifter is Morel or whatever brand you like.
I opine that the inconsistency of push rod length in the BBC world is the primary cause of this.....meaning that a lot of amateurs and hobbyists are using the wrong length pushrods in their roller BBC motors and wind up paying the price.

Just my two cents..........

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:34 PM
Team Member
Tom

For the past several years, I have gone to Walmart and bought Rotella 15-40 in 1gal jugs. That's what I've been using in all my engines----------------------- ZERO issues.
I use synthetic 5-30 from Walmart in 5gal jugs for the 04 Impala SS and 12 Tahoe. Both have over 100,000mi.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Walmart no longer has my oil, straight 30 W
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

In my opinion you need the same good oil with a roller cam as you do with a flat tappet.
And if you have a flat tappet with the same duration and same lift as the roller which one will be better.
Neither in my book.
I like my flat tappets much more than a roller cam.
Crower cam saver lifters for my Hydraulic flat tappets and Howards EDM for my solid flat tappets.

Driven BR oil for break in.
VR1 after that or Driven or as DZAUTO stated the Rotella in some types is still decent.

I also got away from valve springs with dampers in them. Beehive Ovate springs now with small light retainers.
StevenS likes this.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

I haven't built a flat tappet motor in many years and when I left the machine shop 80% of our engines were roller. We had camshaft rule circle track motors we did with flat tappets so they had no choice. But I am not even sure today how much of the issue lies in oil. Granted oil is a helper but I think with the metal makeups being used the parts are failing no matter what oil you use.
EyesOpen likes this.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I don't remember anyone mentioning stagnant usage, or starting your engine once in 4 months or so. I doubt I'm unique in that I've got too many cars that just sit, can't drive them all and I'm a busy man. Does a roller cam make more sense in that case? I've got a few ft cams and only had one lobe go south many years back in a 355 that I just ran Shaeffer semi syn. which has descent zinc/phos numbers, but nothing like BP or VR1. I have 2 rollers here, one solid, one hydro., and they both make noise that I don't care for.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 3:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I don't remember anyone mentioning stagnant usage, or starting your engine once in 4 months or so. I doubt I'm unique in that I've got too many cars that just sit, can't drive them all and I'm a busy man. Does a roller cam make more sense in that case? I've got a few ft cams and only had one lobe go south many years back in a 355 that I just ran Shaeffer semi syn. which has descent zinc/phos numbers, but nothing like BP or VR1. I have 2 rollers here, one solid, one hydro., and they both make noise that I don't care for.
I don't know that I would start them if they are just going to sit. I think I would let them sit and only start them when its time to start using it. Its just as bad letting a roller motor sit for long times with an oil with a low cling ability. The rollers are all dry and unnecessary starting is not good. You are better priming it first, or just starting it and going. My race engines used to sit all winter, but I would change the oil in the spring and pour it down over the cam and lifters before initial start up.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in