What Type of Chevelle Should I Search For. - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: What Type of Chevelle Should I Search For.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Havenít read the entire thread but following are my recommendations. You are not at all familiar with the mechanical aspects of classic Chevelles. That puts you at somewhat of a disadvantage. Seek out someone from your area that is familiar with Chevelles that may be willing to evaluate a few cars. There are several on this site from your area. Here are some key points to consider.

1. Find a car that is in the best condition both body wise and mechanically. Personally I would avoid anything considered high performance. Perhaps consider a 4 door which will definitely be a little cheaper and also less desirable.
2. If you are going to drive this car on a regular basis you should get AAA because sooner or later you will need a towing service.
3. Find a good mechanic as these cars are 50 + years old and require maintenance. Which IMO is expensive if not done yourself.
4. IMO classic car dealers are not good for several reasons. They will smell a new by like you from a mile away and there is a good chance you will be taken for a ride. If you do decide to purchase from a dealer (although a bad idea) I would highly recommend having an independent party inspect any vehicle BEFORE you make any commitment to purchase.
5. For someone like yourself a newer car may not be a bad idea. A C6 Corvette is in your price range and they are plentiful.

Several years ago a friend of mine came across some money and wanted a (toy/play) car. He said he liked the 60s muscle cars. I ask him if he would enjoy working on his classic. His reply was no. At that point I recommended he buy a newer car. He bought a brand new Mustang Shelby GT. Was definitely the right choice for him.
Thank you blm for the advice. With the help of the forum, I am sure i can learn how to do some repairs sooner or later. I like the advice.

Get the simple thing right first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:39 PM
Tech Team
Jack

https://thumbnails-photos.amazon.com...A1KW39NW5NWZLU

Bitchin' '71's are good buys...

It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 7:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

I would suggest you go to a couple of the local cruise nights. Friday night at Freddyís on beltway 8 and Fairmont pkwy near Pasadena. Also, Saturday night near Kemah in the parking lot of Target near the chic-fil-a. Talk to some people and you might even see one or something else that is for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 1:34 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Havenít read the entire thread but following are my recommendations. You are not at all familiar with the mechanical aspects of classic Chevelles. That puts you at somewhat of a disadvantage. Seek out someone from your area that is familiar with Chevelles that may be willing to evaluate a few cars. There are several on this site from your area. Here are some key points to consider.

4. IMO classic car dealers are not good for several reasons. They will smell a new by like you from a mile away and there is a good chance you will be taken for a ride. If you do decide to purchase from a dealer (although a bad idea) I would highly recommend having an independent party inspect any vehicle BEFORE you make any commitment to purchase.
I bought my first classic car ('67 Chevelle) a couple of years ago from a local classic car dealer and yes while I know a little about cars I could be considered a "newbie". I don't feel like I was taken advantage of in any way. They let me take it home overnight (I left my car there). The next day I took it to the local Firestone dealer who had an open lift and they let me take a look at it underneath, and didn't even charge me for the service.
Granted buying from a dealer, you might pay a little more but not all classic car dealers are going to "take you for a ride". I agree though, taking someone with you who really knows these cars is a good idea.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 7:53 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Cool Re: What Type of Chevelle Should I Search For.

Following are just a couple reasons why I dont like dealers.
1. Dealers for the most part obtain their inventory from private individuals. Then just jack the price up. Why not just skip the 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% mark up and get a classic car from the same source they do.
2. Dealers have little information on the history of the vehicles and/or knowledge of the vehicles they are selling. in many cases they just make a story up. So especially for a buyer with little knowledge this is a bad combo.
3. There have been MANY cases brought to light of some dealers misrepresenting vehicles and even when these dealers are notified of these issues they continue to misrepresent those vehicles. That means in those cases they are intentionally taking advantage or ripping off the customer.
4. The number one objective of the classic car dealer is making money. If they say it is anything else they are lieing. Most of us are involved with classic cars are in it for the love of classics. They arent.
1775SS and Stevieb54 like this.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:09 AM

307 cu in (5.0 L) Small-Block V8 would be a good choice, I have it on my garage, I rarely use it but I quite satisfied with it's reliability.

Interesting facts about electric pressure washers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Know what brands are on the top of the list and what are offering.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

68-72 el Camino....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in