Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 5:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Re: What Type of Chevelle Should I Search For.

This one from the same site might even be a closer match. Overdrive, small block, disc brakes, Air Conditioning. Might not be as much fun as the big block, but it would suit your needs probably.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...hevelle-malibu
just_a_goodoboy likes this.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daron Craig View Post
This one from the same site might even be a closer match. Overdrive, small block, disc brakes, Air Conditioning. Might not be as much fun as the big block, but it would suit your needs probably.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...hevelle-malibu
Thank you Daron for the link.

I like the seats here. I do not like buckets seats.

Questions:

1. Why are the back tires bigger than the front tires? http://prntscr.com/r3tsd5
2. I do not see overdrive transmission on the link, how do you know this is overdrive? Did you get this from 700R4 ? its states 30% overdrive.
3. What do you mean by "Might not be as much fun as the big block"? What is so fun about big block compared to small block?

I appreciate your response.

Get the simple thing right first.
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_goodoboy View Post
Thank you Daron for the link.

I like the seats here. I do not like buckets seats.

Questions:

1. Why are the back tires bigger than the front tires? http://prntscr.com/r3tsd5

2. I do not see overdrive transmission on the link, how do you know this is overdrive? Did you get this from 700R4 ? its states 30% overdrive.

3. What do you mean by "Might not be as much fun as the big block"? What is so fun about big block compared to small block?

I appreciate your response.

Back tires are typically bigger for the muscle car look. If the car has substantial torque then it can also be for traction. Yes 700R4 is an overdrive trans. Big blocks typically have more power and torque so more fun to drive if you like burning tires. Most Chevelles will have bigger rear tires.

Here is a picture of my 67 SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

You'll get tons of great advice here, and be sure to post a link to any car you're thinking of buying here first for some opinions.

My best advice, for someone who is not mechanically inclined, is buy the best car in your budget. Ideally find something that is pretty much what you want when you see it. Enjoy it from day one. Some things will pop up over time that will need repair etc and you'll spend enough money at a shop for the unforeseen. Don't pick a car with a bunch of upgrades needed at the outset.

It doesn't sound like you've driven in these cars. I think stock suspension and upgraded brakes, maybe upgraded sway bars is all you need to enjoy day to day driving. And these cars are generally pretty reliable... at least in my experience. If you are willing to spend some time looking, commit to seeing a few cars and test driving them to see what you like.

ak
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak 67SD View Post

It doesn't sound like you've driven in these cars. I think stock suspension and upgraded brakes, maybe upgraded sway bars is all you need to enjoy day to day driving.

ak
Hello ak 67SD, thank you for the response. Great advice.

What does stock suspension means? Does this mean the suspension that came with the car in the 70s or upgrade the suspension kit?

Thanks
427L88 likes this.

post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:16 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Yes, stock components but with new bushings etc.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you post your location maybe some guys with 70s or 70-72 can take you for a ride, it will help you decide what you really need.

3.08 rear axle ratio was common with these. If your car has that you dont really need overdrive, a 350 will suit your needs just fine, no need for something thats had a lot of modifications. yrs ago a friend had a bone stock 71 wiht a well tuned 2barrel 307 it was pretty responsive and peppy for what it was. Common engine back then also

For 20-30k you should be able to find a frame off, fairly fresh resto that gets the job done. These arent getting the $ they did 10 yrs ago
which is good if youre buying

Take someone with your or a member that really knows these, have them check out underneath so you know you have one thats been gone through and not hacked up...or just a spray can restoration lots of that out there. Tons of cars that are well detailed underneath/underhood that are worn out, just look nice. Rebuilt componenets are a huge plus

Id avoid the whole # match, your paying money for something that doesnt matter one bit.

Lots of these for sale so be patient and picky, ignore all the 1 of xx super rare come and get it circus ring announcer ads.

Finding a long term owner is a safe bet....ignore the claimed mileage I doubt its accurate, its all about maintenance and condition
Lots of these have had speedometers disconnected and turned back over the years, Its about impossible to verify.

A bench seat colum shift would make a great driver for you...a cheap set of KYBs really firms up the floaty old ride.
Dont expect it to feel like a modern car...a well put together one will drive fine and not feel like its going to fall apart.

Budget 1000-2 in case whatever you buy needs minor things, most seem to. If it needs nothing hurray for you. Collector insurance is cheap, youll want good replacement coverage. Aftermarket AC is just fine (vintage air). Lots of original ac cars are missing the stuff anyways.
Good luck.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 11:48 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I agree with the advice that with your budget a small block engine will be fine. I have no interest in burning off my tires, and if I want to I think my ZZ4 350 with 355 horsepower and the Turbo Hydramatic 350 3-speed transmission would allow me to do that.
Three years ago after retiring and deciding it was time to get a classic car I came across my 67 Chevelle at a local classic car dealer. It was a frame off restoration done about 10 years before. It had been through 4 different local owners. I met 3 of them (the 4th one is now dead). The previous owners are long time "car guys" who buy cars, own them a year or two, make some improvements to it, then are bored and sell it or trade it for something different. One of the previous owners owned it twice. A month before he traded it in to the local classic car dealer he had a local speed shop install a complete FiTech fuel injection system. During his previous ownership a couple of years before, he installed 17" Diamondback redline tires with one-piece Corvette style rally wheels.
I don't have the room, the tools or the experience to build a classic car, so I knew I needed to find the best one I could. I've had a retired mechanic add Vintage Air A/C, Dakota digital dash and aluminum radiator with electric fan.
Click the red "garage" link to the left to see a few photos.
Good luck in your search for your Chevelle.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires

Last edited by darksky; Feb 19th, 20 at 12:16 AM.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 7:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

11. I do plan to ride around town with my Labrador dog in car.

Your lab will eat inside of your car !
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 8:04 PM
ptu
Barry

Garage

It will be really hard to find a car with in your price range. 20K and below will be cars that will need a lot of restoration work. A nice driver will run 30K if you are luckly enough to find one. They are not making any more. Chevelles are running thin. I usually buy in the 10K range, spend $30K and 4-5 years of hard work and end up with a show quality car. They do not drive like newer cars. Lots of work keeping them running, very bad for a novice if you cannot work on it yourself. It will remain broke most of the time, not starting, or not running. In the long run, you would be better off buying a new Camaro which will be more reliable and the dealer can fix. And the gas mileage in Houston traffic will not eat your pocket book. Leave the classics to the car lovers who can keep them running. Not trying to be mean, just practical.
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:03 AM

Garage

You've posed a very open-ended question. Beyond your budget your first issue is which model/body style. It sounds like you are focused on the later body styles of the 69 and 70 models, maybe even 71-72. Those tend to be the favorites.
After that comes how much horsepower do you want. You said that horsepower and speed are not that important to you so, a car with a 350 engine vs. a 396 or 454 would likely suit you fine. (454s can get expensive).
Then do you want stock (generally factory set up) or restomod(ish). Personally, I like stock, but that is a personal choice. And do you care if it is matching #s (orig engine, trans, etc.)? Matching #s cars are a bit to a lot more valuable and cost more.
Then the bells and whistles (options) you want on the car. You mentioned A/C, for instance. You may or may not find the car with the exact options you want, so you might try to be a bit flexible on that.

Finally consider condition- have someone check it out for you, put it on lift and see what the undercarriage looks like. You sure don't want a rust bucket, no matter how pretty it may look on the top side. Make sure the body is not filled with bondo. And have the person checking it out look over the engine and trans, drive it, do a compression test etc. Make sure you are getting at least a decent engine since rebuilding the engine is expensive.

Overall, I think it is worth it to spend a bit more and get a car in better condition, than to spend less and get a project, especially since you are not an accomplished mechanic or body guy.

Since you know you are not a gearhead, you'll need a good classic car mechanic, like you said. You might go find one of those before you buy so that you have someone that can inspect the car for you. And they can tell you more about things to look for, good and bad. Find a shop that specializes in old cars, not a shop that works on old cars too. Such shops are a bit harder to find but they are around. I have a shop like that I have used for years. It is just 2 guys but they are invaluable, and better than anyone else I've come across. You just have to search a bit more. I do a little work, but I'm much better and writing checks for pros to do the work and then driving the car to car shows etc. It is way more fun when the car runs right.

As for looking, you might go into your local Gateway Classic cars showroom. There is one in Houston and they have several Chevelles for sale. I just looked and they just sold one for right at $31K that looks like it might have fit you needs well. But, they have other Chevelles and LOTS of other cars too and you might find something else you like just as well. It is sort of like an indoor car show.

My Chevelle turns 50 in May, and I've had it for 45 years. Chevelles are a blast and I'm sure you'll enjoy owning one, or any other classic car you might get.
Good luck!
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 11:07 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Havenít read the entire thread but following are my recommendations. You are not at all familiar with the mechanical aspects of classic Chevelles. That puts you at somewhat of a disadvantage. Seek out someone from your area that is familiar with Chevelles that may be willing to evaluate a few cars. There are several on this site from your area. Here are some key points to consider.

1. Find a car that is in the best condition both body wise and mechanically. Personally I would avoid anything considered high performance. Perhaps consider a 4 door which will definitely be a little cheaper and also less desirable.
2. If you are going to drive this car on a regular basis you should get AAA because sooner or later you will need a towing service.
3. Find a good mechanic as these cars are 50 + years old and require maintenance. Which IMO is expensive if not done yourself.
4. IMO classic car dealers are not good for several reasons. They will smell a new by like you from a mile away and there is a good chance you will be taken for a ride. If you do decide to purchase from a dealer (although a bad idea) I would highly recommend having an independent party inspect any vehicle BEFORE you make any commitment to purchase.
5. For someone like yourself a newer car may not be a bad idea. A C6 Corvette is in your price range and they are plentiful.

Several years ago a friend of mine came across some money and wanted a (toy/play) car. He said he liked the 60s muscle cars. I ask him if he would enjoy working on his classic. His reply was no. At that point I recommended he buy a newer car. He bought a brand new Mustang Shelby GT. Was definitely the right choice for him.

Last edited by blm; Feb 21st, 20 at 11:31 AM.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak 67SD View Post
You'll get tons of great advice here, and be sure to post a link to any car you're thinking of buying here first for some opinions.

My best advice, for someone who is not mechanically inclined, is buy the best car in your budget. Ideally find something that is pretty much what you want when you see it. Enjoy it from day one. Some things will pop up over time that will need repair etc and you'll spend enough money at a shop for the unforeseen. Don't pick a car with a bunch of upgrades needed at the outset.

It doesn't sound like you've driven in these cars. I think stock suspension and upgraded brakes, maybe upgraded sway bars is all you need to enjoy day to day driving. And these cars are generally pretty reliable... at least in my experience. If you are willing to spend some time looking, commit to seeing a few cars and test driving them to see what you like.

ak
Thank you so much ak 67SD for the advice.

Yes, my goal is to enjoy it from day one and repair and enhance as needed as time goes on. It will be car I keep forever.

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
If you post your location maybe some guys with 70s or 70-72 can take you for a ride, it will help you decide what you really need.

3.08 rear axle ratio was common with these. If your car has that you dont really need overdrive, a 350 will suit your needs just fine, no need for something thats had a lot of modifications. yrs ago a friend had a bone stock 71 wiht a well tuned 2barrel 307 it was pretty responsive and peppy for what it was. Common engine back then also

For 20-30k you should be able to find a frame off, fairly fresh resto that gets the job done. These arent getting the $ they did 10 yrs ago
which is good if youre buying

Take someone with your or a member that really knows these, have them check out underneath so you know you have one thats been gone through and not hacked up...or just a spray can restoration lots of that out there. Tons of cars that are well detailed underneath/underhood that are worn out, just look nice. Rebuilt componenets are a huge plus

Id avoid the whole # match, your paying money for something that doesnt matter one bit.

Lots of these for sale so be patient and picky, ignore all the 1 of xx super rare come and get it circus ring announcer ads.

Finding a long term owner is a safe bet....ignore the claimed mileage I doubt its accurate, its all about maintenance and condition
Lots of these have had speedometers disconnected and turned back over the years, Its about impossible to verify.

A bench seat colum shift would make a great driver for you...a cheap set of KYBs really firms up the floaty old ride.
Dont expect it to feel like a modern car...a well put together one will drive fine and not feel like its going to fall apart.

Budget 1000-2 in case whatever you buy needs minor things, most seem to. If it needs nothing hurray for you. Collector insurance is cheap, youll want good replacement coverage. Aftermarket AC is just fine (vintage air). Lots of original ac cars are missing the stuff anyways.
Good luck.
Thank you so much cuisinartvette for the detailed response.

I am taking good notes here. Good advice.

I like in Houston Texas if any other owners want to meet up and have a good talk. I am still learning. It is a very cool project. For inspection of the vehicle before buying, i was planning on hiring someone along with my education. I am in no rush, and will be learning what to look for when its time for inspection and other checks.

Thanks,

post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 3:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnalph View Post
You've posed a very open-ended question. Beyond your budget your first issue is which model/body style. It sounds like you are focused on the later body styles of the 69 and 70 models, maybe even 71-72. Those tend to be the favorites.
After that comes how much horsepower do you want. You said that horsepower and speed are not that important to you so, a car with a 350 engine vs. a 396 or 454 would likely suit you fine. (454s can get expensive).
Then do you want stock (generally factory set up) or restomod(ish). Personally, I like stock, but that is a personal choice. And do you care if it is matching #s (orig engine, trans, etc.)? Matching #s cars are a bit to a lot more valuable and cost more.
Then the bells and whistles (options) you want on the car. You mentioned A/C, for instance. You may or may not find the car with the exact options you want, so you might try to be a bit flexible on that.

Finally consider condition- have someone check it out for you, put it on lift and see what the undercarriage looks like. You sure don't want a rust bucket, no matter how pretty it may look on the top side. Make sure the body is not filled with bondo. And have the person checking it out look over the engine and trans, drive it, do a compression test etc. Make sure you are getting at least a decent engine since rebuilding the engine is expensive.

Overall, I think it is worth it to spend a bit more and get a car in better condition, than to spend less and get a project, especially since you are not an accomplished mechanic or body guy.

Since you know you are not a gearhead, you'll need a good classic car mechanic, like you said. You might go find one of those before you buy so that you have someone that can inspect the car for you. And they can tell you more about things to look for, good and bad. Find a shop that specializes in old cars, not a shop that works on old cars too. Such shops are a bit harder to find but they are around. I have a shop like that I have used for years. It is just 2 guys but they are invaluable, and better than anyone else I've come across. You just have to search a bit more. I do a little work, but I'm much better and writing checks for pros to do the work and then driving the car to car shows etc. It is way more fun when the car runs right.

As for looking, you might go into your local Gateway Classic cars showroom. There is one in Houston and they have several Chevelles for sale. I just looked and they just sold one for right at $31K that looks like it might have fit you needs well. But, they have other Chevelles and LOTS of other cars too and you might find something else you like just as well. It is sort of like an indoor car show.

My Chevelle turns 50 in May, and I've had it for 45 years. Chevelles are a blast and I'm sure you'll enjoy owning one, or any other classic car you might get.
Good luck!
THANK you so much jimnalph, really really awesome advice. Thank you. Happy Belated Birthday to your Chevelle. Gateway Classic car will be a good visit. And I like your advice about finding a classic car mechanic now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in