Re: What Type of Chevelle Should I Search For.
Given your budget and what you are looking for, here is what I would recommend:
- Buy a 1971 or 1972 (my reason - fits your budget better than a Ď70 will, and you say you want a 70-72.). I prefer the Ď72 as it has a slightly better engine bay electrical layout than the Ď71, but thatís minor.
- Find one with good body and paint - rust repair and a decent paint job alone will cost you $15k or more (yes, ridiculous, but thatís what it is nowadays unfortunately.). Plus the paint jail time - you donít want to go there.
- Find one with a good running small block. Plenty of power in small blocks.
- Find one with a TH350 or TH400 automatic and 2.73 or 3.08 rear gears. You want it for driving and cruising, not racing and speed, and these combos will be just fine for you. (If you find one with an automatic with overdrive like a 700r4 or 2004R or 4l60 or 4l80 consider it a bonus but I wouldnít go crazy looking for one.)
- Find one with power steering and power front disc brakes.
- Put in a good set of Bilstein shocks.
Then just have it tuned up properly and enjoy it.
Later you can upgrade the mechanicals like suspension and drivetrain, fuel injection, etc. if you so desire once you find what you like and donít like about the car.
1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73