66 Chevelle frame interchangeability? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 3:03 PM Thread Starter

66 Chevelle frame interchangeability?

I need to know if any other a body frames would fit the 66 chevelle with little or no fabrications needed. I got told I could use a 74 Buick frame by a friend has accordingly “has Made the swap before, with just a little lengthening of the frame. I also am considering making a nascar type tube chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 4:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: 66 Chevelle frame interchangeability?

64-67 Chevy Olds and Buick is a direct swap. I have found more of them in junk yards then I did of a 74 Buick.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 6:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Is your car lacking a frame or have a damaged frame?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

https://chevellestuff.net/qd/frames.htm
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
Is your car lacking a frame or have a damaged frame?
it’s a car I’m planing on purchasing, from what I can tell the car is either missing a frame completely or it is highly damaged
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I doubt the 74 frame will work, the 66 frame rails are narrower.
David Bates and LeoP like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10chevelle View Post
I need to know if any other a body frames would fit the 66 chevelle with little or no fabrications needed.

I also am considering making a nascar type tube chassis.
Wow - that's quite the opposite ends of the scale for solving your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
64-67 Chevy Olds and Buick is a direct swap. I have found more of them in junk yards then I did of a 74 Buick.
This would be a MUCH easier route for you.

FYI - You should at least put your city and state in your signature. This will make it easier for someone to offer you big things like frames if we know how far away you are.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 6:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

Post up some pictures so we can see what you are working with. It sounds like you are going to be upside down on this thing before you even get it in the driveway.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 8:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Post up some pictures so we can see what you are working with. It sounds like you are going to be upside down on this thing before you even get it in the driveway.
I don’t have the car yet, it’s halfway across Indiana and I plan to check the car out in more detail when I get a break from school. I’m just trying to figure out the information before I get the car because even if I don’t buy this one, I do plan to buy and restore a 66 chevelle
RAIDER SS likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've always said its cheaper to buy than build and have unfortunately proven myself right numerous times. (I'm a slow learner)

My advice would be to save your money until you can buy at least a decent driver.
1965stlhrsrdr likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 1:13 AM
Tech Team

64-67 chevelle 2 or 4 dr will work - 67 has diff rear spring pockets

Cutlass skylark and gto are about 4 in longer in the rear and at least cutlass has diff front frame horns
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 1:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966chevelleaholic View Post

Cutlass skylark and gto are about 4 in longer in the rear and at least cutlass has diff front frame horns
Are you sure? I believe all the A body frames are interchangeable for 64-67 including the flat top wagons. Agree on the 67 lower spring pockets for the rear ends, but if the op uses his original rear it does not matter.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 1:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Are you sure? I believe all the A body frames are interchangeable for 64-67 including the flat top wagons. Agree on the 67 lower spring pockets for the rear ends, but if the op uses his original rear it does not matter.
Actually, the opposite is true, the UPPER pigtail on the rear springs is different (smaller), starting in 1967.

While the lower mounts (rearend housing) changed, they still use the same size pigtail on the springs... So if you swap rearends, you can use your existing springs. But if you swap frames, you need corresponding (64-66 or 67+) springs that match the frame...

For the OP, ALL '66 Chevelle frames (except the El Camino and wagon) will swap over directly... Wagons and El Caminos only need the rear portions shortened about 3+ inches, all in the rear-most section in front to the rear bumper brackets ( so all body mounts are in the same location (except the rearmost right behind the rear bumper)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966chevelleaholic View Post

Would it be possible to shorten the rear off the cutlass , skylark or gto, in case I can't find another Chevelle.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Actually, the opposite is true, the UPPER pigtail on the rear springs is different (smaller), starting in 1967.

While the lower mounts (rearend housing) changed, they still use the same size pigtail on the springs... So if you swap rearends, you can use your existing springs. But if you swap frames, you need corresponding (64-66 or 67+) springs that match the frame...

For the OP, ALL '66 Chevelle frames (except the El Camino and wagon) will swap over directly... Wagons and El Caminos only need the rear portions shortened about 3+ inches, all in the rear-most section in front to the rear bumper brackets ( so all body mounts are in the same location (except the rearmost right behind the rear bumper)...
So True

I have a '67 12 bolt in my '66 and the lower spring pockets work good with original '66 springs. Also - I read that the spring pocket mounting brackets that are welded on the differential are actually 3/4" higher on a 67 diff. versus the 66 differential. So I went to order '67 rear springs, only to find out the '67 rear springs have pigtail mounts on both ends of the spring versus a '66 which only has a pigtail mount on the lower end. Won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10chevelle View Post
Would it be possible to shorten the rear off the cutlass , skylark or gto, in case I can't find another Chevelle.
What they are saying is that it wont take much work to make the Cutlass, Skylark, or Tempest frames to work - so If that is what you can find locally or not too much effort to get your hands on a good one; Go This Route!

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in