Ever get cheated..by a forum member for any kind of transaction? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Ever get cheated..by a forum member for any kind of transaction?

I'm pretty new on this forum but have a perfect track record on the "Corvette Forum" for 10-15 years...if anyone would like to check up on me.

I guess all forums have honest and dishonest members but that's usually easy to ferret out if you ask a few questions before doing business with them.
I've done a lot or business on the Corvette Forum...bought parts, cars you name it...but never been cheated till now. AND I checked up on the individual before sending him my merchandise to work on and paying up front to get it done. This started months ago...now my queries are ignored.

Has anyone else been that unlucky?
...and if so would you care to share via PM what happened to you. I'd be interested in seeing if the individual that has taken advantage of me has done the same to anyone else.

I'll keep the information private if you wish ...and will also explain the bad deal I got in into....and who with.

Happy Trails...Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: Ever get cheated..by a forum member for any kind of transaction?

JMHO, this forum has the BEST People I've ever dealt with. I've bought parts and find them on my doorstep before I even get the money order in the mail. I've sent my trans tailshaft bushing remover/installer kit do several members with the only requirement that they ship it back when done and pay the postage, no charge other than that!!
Dean, Pete 67, 71350SS and 8 others like this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 12:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
JMHO, this forum has the BEST People I've ever dealt with. I've bought parts and find them on my doorstep before I even get the money order in the mail. I've sent my trans tailshaft bushing remover/installer kit do several members with the only requirement that they ship it back when done and pay the postage, no charge other than that!!
Leo is a gentleman who goes above & beyond. He lent me that tailshaft bushing tool about 12 years ago! He even paid to ship it to me & wouldn't let me reimburse him for the cost.

The only "bad" experiences I've had is with a few "fly by night" members who I've given some parts to for free. Never heard a peep from a few of them after they received them. The parts weren't that valuable, but a quick thank you seems like it should've been standard.

On the other hand, one guy was quite appreciative of a spare '67 El Camino tail light lens I sent him. I didn't want any cash for it, but he mailed me a crisp $20 bill. That was unnecessary but very classy.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 9:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Thanks for the post Leo and Pete..

As stated in my post I'm a loong time memeber on the C1 Corvette forum...some of which are also members here.
This forum is GREAT, and I've already had a lot of help on Chevelle related topics...in fact it feels like home.

That's the reason I'm treading very softly on this subject ...I sure my problem is a very isolated...but just testing the water to be sure.
Never the less, I would be amiss if it had happened before with the same individual...and the rest of the forum wasn't warned.

I am not berating this forum in ANY way...and love the forum and will be a member here as long as I have Chevelles (have 2 now). So much so that I bought a lifetime membership shortly after joining.

No one could be more surprised than me to have had any problem ever ...but I assure you I'm not the "little boy hollering wolf".

All the best.....Stan
wes-in-nc and BamaTattoo like this.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I have sold quite a few parts on here...NEVER a bad experience.
BamaTattoo likes this.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:52 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

If itís been a while and your 100% sure youíve been stiffed, you should consider sharing this persons name, forum name, location, etc.
That might be the best way to help save someone else from the same fate.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 1:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Very true but with 89,624 members, I'm sure they are not ALL honest angels.
People have told me how Leo trusted them loaning stuff.

Speaking of that (sorta) I had two 70 Chevelle consoles, one perfect and one with the bottom busted and I accidentally gave a member the wrong one (free, including shipping)

When I saw that i had given away my son's perfect console, I thought about asking him to send it back and I would send the other one but thought oh heck, I'll just patch up the one I kept.
Since my son passed away, I never did do anything with it.
71350SS and BamaTattoo like this.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 5:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have had both good and bad experiences. More good than bad. One guy sent me some parts FREE because he was not going to use them. Another guy who had a very hard to find gear set for my Richmond 5 Speed offered to make a heads up swap for the set I had (which I wanted to swap out of the trans). He actually forwarded his parts to me BEFORE I had the gears out of my transmission. His had been sitting on a shelf for YEARS and he just said "ship your geras to me when you get the chance, they are going to be spares for me anyway so no rush".

On the flip side.....One dork read a "parts wanted" advertisement I had placed. He contacted me and said he had what I needed and indeed he did EXCEPT that it was damaged. When I contacted him he offered to "look around" for another one that fit my need and actually was in good shape. NEVER EVER heard from him again.

On balance I have had good, even great, experiences but the time I got burned leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. Things certainly could be worse and I just blew by the hose job I got.

End of story
BamaTattoo likes this.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Well...ÖÖ.there is or was this guy in Houston named Kenny who used to post cars for sale in the Houston area. He was a scam artist. He would locate cars for sale on Craigslist or in the Houston newspapers and post them on here and represent them as his own cars. His scam was to find someone here who was interested in buying the car and when he did, he would then turn around and approach the actual owner of the car and tell them that he had someone interested in buying their car and for a price, he could arrange to bring the seller and buyer together. He tried to pull that on me on a 69 Chevelle in east Texas. His ad said the car was "complete except for engine and transmission, condition was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10". When I got there, it had no interior, no glass, no front clip, and he forgot to tell me to bring a chainsaw to cut down the tree that was growing up through the engine compartment. That was when I learned about his scam and found out who Kenny was. Had the nerve to ask me to cover his driving expenses.

He did have cars of his own that he kept at some run down repair shop in north Houston. He tried to sell some of them here. But he way, way overstated the condition of the cars. He would list cars that "only needed a little work to get them running again" when in reality, they were so far gone they wouldn't even be good for parts.

So yes, there are some predators here. But we know who they are and they get exposed really fast, like Kenny.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 9:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Very true but with 89,624 members, I'm sure they are not ALL honest angels.
People have told me how Leo trusted them loaning stuff.

Speaking of that (sorta) I had two 70 Chevelle consoles, one perfect and one with the bottom busted and I accidentally gave a member the wrong one (free, including shipping)

When I saw that i had given away my son's perfect console, I thought about asking him to send it back and I would send the other one but thought oh heck, I'll just patch up the one I kept.
Since my son passed away, I never did do anything with it.
Very admirable Dean, that's called "Taking the High Road".

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:25 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mosier View Post
Well...ÖÖ.there is or was this guy in Houston named Kenny who used to post cars for sale in the Houston area. He was a scam artist. He would locate cars for sale on Craigslist or in the Houston newspapers and post them on here and represent them as his own cars. His scam was to find someone here who was interested in buying the car and when he did, he would then turn around and approach the actual owner of the car and tell them that he had someone interested in buying their car and for a price, he could arrange to bring the seller and buyer together. He tried to pull that on me on a 69 Chevelle in east Texas. His ad said the car was "complete except for engine and transmission, condition was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10". When I got there, it had no interior, no glass, no front clip, and he forgot to tell me to bring a chainsaw to cut down the tree that was growing up through the engine compartment. That was when I learned about his scam and found out who Kenny was. Had the nerve to ask me to cover his driving expenses.

He did have cars of his own that he kept at some run down repair shop in north Houston. He tried to sell some of them here. But he way, way overstated the condition of the cars. He would list cars that "only needed a little work to get them running again" when in reality, they were so far gone they wouldn't even be good for parts.

So yes, there are some predators here. But we know who they are and they get exposed really fast, like Kenny.
I knew Kenny and had dealings with him. Met him at the largest swap meet in the area back around Ď96 or so. He had something I needed so went to his home to pick it up. He was a junker to be sure. Fortunately I was local and didnít have to take any risk on him.

The only thing I will say is that he wasnít an active contributor. He was a predator in the classifieds. Oh, he knew everything about Chevelle. You just needed to ask...
BamaTattoo likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:42 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
If itís been a while and your 100% sure youíve been stiffed, you should consider sharing this persons name, forum name, location, etc.
That might be the best way to help save someone else from the same fate.
^ This.

And as a member of that www.corvetteforum.com/forums myself, the piranha will eat you alive if you so much as fail to respond to a shipment status update message a day late because you are out living life. Unfortunately, that forum is a money making machine as it's owned by internet brands and they allow spamming of forums by vendors (even tech forums) and it takes an act of God to get a bad vendor's status revoked.

However, I don't understand how a paid member got scammed using the special forum member only classifieds here. You should contact @Dean about this.

That said, out the bitch.
BamaTattoo likes this.

'69 Malibu
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:56 PM
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
I knew Kenny and had dealings with him. Met him at the largest swap meet in the area back around Ď96 or so. He had something I needed so went to his home to pick it up. He was a junker to be sure. Fortunately I was local and didnít have to take any risk on him.

The only thing I will say is that he wasnít an active contributor. He was a predator in the classifieds. Oh, he knew everything about Chevelle. You just needed to ask...
Ol Kenneth Henson! Hadn't thought of him in years. If you could have bought him for what he was worth and sold him for what he THOUGHT he was worth, you could retire on the spread.
427L88 likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 3:59 PM
Gold Member
Gene

You all know how the traders on the Chicago board of Exchange used to punish the errant ones? There was a $1000 fine for fighting on the exchange floor. They pass a hat, collect $1000 + another $1000 to pay a Bears lineman to show up and bust the guy once good.

Problem Permanently Solved.
BamaTattoo likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 4:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
Ol Kenneth Henson! Hadn't thought of him in years. If you could have bought him for what he was worth and sold him for what he THOUGHT he was worth, you could retire on the spread.
Yep!! That's him! Couldn't remember his last name. But that's the guy!
BamaTattoo likes this.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in