Please try and post in specific forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 6:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

brighter headlights

67 have some basic halogens but they just dont do the job
Very few street lights in this town so it makes a huge difference

Any brand, model #? Is there something special I have to do to the wiring?
Dont want anything high buck just something that works.
427L88 likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 7:42 PM
Tech Team

Re: brighter headlights

I have the SYLVANIA halogens, together with relays for low & high beams. The relay keeps them a constant voltage and light don't dim when engine idles. Any 30 amp relay will do. Relays have wiring diagrams on the package if not goggle it and you will find it. Easy hook up lights thru relay. They sell 2 relays together along with a pre wired relay socket, nice clean hook up. Used this set up on my 70 Chevelle. I am in Chicago, the head lights are bright, but then we have street lights here at night.

Relays see link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/via-80238

Or you can get them most auto parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlamp_relay.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	614222  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 20, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I agree 100%............ I did the relay thing to my 70 Driver. Along with the Sylvania Halogen bulbs........... YOU will have very BRIGHT LIGHTS, Along with ALL of the interior bulbs " GETTING MORE VOLTAGE " The dash lights are NOW very bright.
This is best improvement you can do with lighting. Two relays and 2-3 hours of time and you will NOT believe the improvement.
P.S. my stock headlights had the " Orange " look at night, Now the have that White look.
Bob
71350SS, LeoP and Bart_Swisher like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232935477392

I bought theses on Ebay. Plug and play. 1964 Tempest. No relays etc again just plug n play. Easy and very very bright
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 8:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I would agree with the relay setup. The current has to go from the battery, across the rad support, through a bulkhead connector, to the fuse panel, through your headlight switch, pass through the bulk head connector AGAIN at the firewall, then end up at the bulb. That's a long distance and a LOT of connections for voltage drop and resistances to build up.

I noticed a huge difference when I went to relays on my headlights, using regular bulbs that I picked up from Napa.

Another thing you can try if you don't want to do any wiring/relays, pull the bulk head connector apart at the firewall and CLEAN the connections. I used electronic cleaner spray and a long bristle brass brush, got both sides squeaky clean and put it all back together. Haven't had a single issue with those connections since. Also if any of the female connectors looked warped or loose I bent them back into shape with a pocket flat head and small needle nose pliers. This would also help getting power to your coil to help the engine run better and brighter brake lights, etc. It's a healthy thing to do.

Good luck!

Your headlights will be so bright you'll be humming bad to the bone when you walk by it at night.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 9:09 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Anyone use these?https://www.topgearautosport.com/par...onversion.html

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 9:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

As the others have said, the relays and clean connections really make a huge difference and definitely get rid of the orange glow as Bob said. No need for aftermarket light kits etc. $20 and a little time is all that is needed.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 12:03 PM
Tech Team

Relay kit from eBay for $30, plug and play, made a huge difference 👍
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I put the relays on a friends 1960's truck because the halogens he was running were tripping the breaker in the light switch. It worked well and I'm thinking of doing the same on my car.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Another thing you can try if you don't want to do any wiring/relays, pull the bulk head connector apart at the firewall and CLEAN the connections. I used electronic cleaner spray and a long bristle brass brush, got both sides squeaky clean and put it all back together. [/IMG][/URL]
Good advice indeed. Those connections can also keep your car from starting. (as I found out one day). Just be careful with that bulkhead. 50 year old plastic and metal parts can be quite brittle...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 2:45 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I cleaned the bulkhead connector and installed a new AAW lighting harness. I STILL think the relay trick will help. Thank you for the reminder cuisineartvette - I'm looking for low budget things I can do while it sits at rest.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 3:09 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I can vouch for the relay upgrade as well - I did it a few months back and it made a significant difference in the brightness. Even going with a different bulb type is still going to have the issue of the voltage drop as described above with the length of wire and multiple connectors, so this is a good fix either way.

jim
427L88 likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 4:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Do the relay I just did it and wow what a difference!

Turns out one wire was powering everything in my 69 el camino!! It runs between the battery and the fuse box. It has a coupling at the voltage regulator. I've since rewired it all with stranded #10 and installed a capacitor to the battery.. The factory wiring leaves a lot to be desired, not enough circuits to the power source. I also ran ground wires all over the place..

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/thre...happen.246748/
427L88 likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I agree with the above - relays!

Now, I know some people are electrically challenged so I'm not going to say go buy some relays and wire it up yourself (I did that, but I wasn't afraid of it). As an alternative, you can buy a pre-made harness that's quite literally plug and play. All you need to do is connect the main power lead and ground, then connect the sockets onto the headlights, then a plug into one of the original harness sockets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-...MAAOSwbetb9JGO

Or same thing from Amazon:

1966_L78, davewho1 and hydro462 like this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 10:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

I have been thinking about doing this upgrade. I've been running halogen headlights and I've read that you need to be concerned with overloading the main feed into the interior and the headlight switch, potential fire hazzard I guess.

When you guys made the upgrade, did you replace all of the headlight sockets and the wiring from the sockets to the new relays or use the existing components. By installing the relays it would eliminate my concern above, so I'd think the existing sockets and wiring would be fine if they are in good condition.

Any thoughts?

Mark
66 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in