Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

4Likes
  • 3 Post By OO52
  • 1 Post By JJ'65

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Rear seat space on different models?

Well after a hiatus from the hobby for the past 10 years to start a family, I'm back and am looking to purchase a Chevelle. While in kicking around the idea of a 4-dr if the right one comes up, it seems a 2-dr would be a better idea for parts availability and resale.

I have 3 kids (all under 10) that I want a I share he hobby with as well and am curious as to what year chevelles offer a bigger backseat. I looked at a few at a car show over the summer and it seemed there was some noticeable differences depending on years (and I don't know if the post/no post thing matters either). I personally like the 64-67s better. Also, does anyone have any expierence or is it possible to add 3 point safety belts to the rear as opposed to just the lap belts (for safety sake).

Thanks for the help. Hope to be a member with a chevelle before next summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Rear seat space on different models?

Have you looked into a wagon? Values are approaching coupe levels, lots of room for the family and all the kid stuff. Interior parts are hard to find but it seems that more are being reproduced.
71350SS, blm and RAIDER SS like this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:38 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

^^^^ This is not a bad idea. If thinking strictly resale then by all means a two door is the best bet. Never really paid attention but I do know the rear seat room in a 68-72 Chevelle is poor.
The 4 door Chevelle is still nowhere as far as resale and respect. Hopefully that doesn't offend 4 door owners but it is true. The wagon however is considered cool and many are available at all price ranges.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post
Have you looked into a wagon? Values are approaching coupe levels, lots of room for the family and all the kid stuff. Interior parts are hard to find but it seems that more are being reproduced.
May have to start looking at the wagons. I like the look of the early ones (not sure how rare those are), but the 68s+ are just a little too big and wonky looking for me. Are the early wagons like the 4 doors and still operate on an identical chassis so all the performance stuff from the 2 door switches over? Or is it a completely different chassis?

Or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a 2 door...there is certainly more room in the backseat for a little kid than the backseat in my 2nd gen camaro.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 10:25 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

For 1964-67 all Chevelles used a 115" wheelbase. Starting in 1968 they went with 2 wheelbases; 112" for coupes & convertibles, 116" for 4-doors, wagons & El Caminos. Obviously the longer wheelbase has more rear foot & leg room.

Oldsmobile & Buick produced the Vista Cruiser / Sportwagon with 120" wheelbase through 1967, then 121" through 1972.

Also the Monte Carlo came on the 116" wheelbase but never used any of the extra length for back seat room (same with the 118" wheelbase Grand Prix).

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 1:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Cool Re: Rear seat space on different models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShowZ28 View Post
Well after a hiatus from the hobby for the past 10 years to start a family, I'm back and am looking to purchase a Chevelle. While in kicking around the idea of a 4-dr if the right one comes up, it seems a 2-dr would be a better idea for parts availability and resale.

I have 3 kids (all under 10) that I want a I share he hobby with as well and am curious as to what year chevelles offer a bigger backseat. I looked at a few at a car show over the summer and it seemed there was some noticeable differences depending on years (and I don't know if the post/no post thing matters either). I personally like the 64-67s better. Also, does anyone have any expierence or is it possible to add 3 point safety belts to the rear as opposed to just the lap belts (for safety sake).

Thanks for the help. Hope to be a member with a chevelle before next summer!
Buddy of mine up in Anchorage had a '67 small Pontiac station wagon (Tempest?) and it did 90% of what we needed for huntin', fishin', flyin', campin', canoein' etc. AK life style, includin' strappin' canoe on the roof of the vehicle...
64elkynss likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 1:19 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Back when these cars were new, people with 3 kids were buying them. My father moved a family of seven around in a 1957 Chevrolet station wagon for years. These cars didn't get smaller over the years so, I'm bettin' a wagon or 4 door would work out fine. If you're concerned about resale I'm sure you can fit the whole tribe in a coupe for the time being.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 4:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

As Cam pointed out, the early s, 64-67 have the same wheel base and same floor pans, and therefore the same legroom; 2 doors or 4 doors, even wagons are the same...

A little easier to get into the back of a 4-door though, and 4-doors are going to be a LOT less expensive (but lower resale too).

The 4-door is the same from the cowl forward, the dash area is the same, the rear seat upper should swap, and the rear seat lower will work, but 4-doors have radiused corners for ingress/egress, but otherwise interchangible size-wise. All suspension and brake parts are interchangible (spring rates may vary).

Basically, parts availability issues are going to be the doors and door glass and roof... IIRC, weatherstripping is available, new repro door panels and 4-door seat covers are available (all 2-door front bench seats are "split", while the 4-doors have fixed backs (a split bench will swap into a 4-door though)... 4-doors use El Camino windshields and trim, IIRC... rear window channel rust, not sure if anyone makes replacement sheet metal for those, but tail panels, trunk lids are interchangeable, and even the quarter panels from a 2-door can be trimmed to fit a 4-door as needed...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 6:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage

If you are concerned about your kids' safety a 50 year old car is a bad investment.

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in