Ls 6.0 what trans recommendations? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 5:42 PM Thread Starter

Ls 6.0 what trans recommendations?

Installing a lq9 6.0l. What transmission is recommended? Want to go manual but want to see what others think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 6:40 PM
robert

Re: Ls 6.0 what trans recommendations?

4l80e...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
77 cruiser, 67-468 and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 6:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

4L80e
77 cruiser and Kirk's67SS like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 7:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

TUET2066 T56 out of a newer GTO. Has the perfect gear ratios to keep the 6.0 in its power band and double overdrive when you're cruising.
senna likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
4l80e...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
4L80e
Thanks,Does the trans tunnel have to be modified for a 4L80E? I know it does for a T56.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
TUET2066 T56 out of a newer GTO. Has the perfect gear ratios to keep the 6.0 in its power band and double overdrive when you're cruising.
Thanks, still debating whether to go manual or not?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:06 PM
Tech Team
Rick

You will likely need trans hump floor pan surgery with a 4L80E. But if you can choose motor mounts that move the motor forward a little, you will have to cut less on your floor pan.

And even if you don't need to cut, it'll still be an extremely tight fit. Figure out now what you are going to do with routing and clearance against the floor pan for your trans cooler lines. It'll be a lot tougher once the trans is mounted.

I did not need to cut sheet metal for my 4L60E but I'm only running maybe 350 horsepower. If you have a high horsepower motor, a 4L80E would be recommended but it does consume a lot of power before anything useful emerges at the driveshaft.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
You will likely need trans hump floor pan surgery with a 4L80E. But if you can choose motor mounts that move the motor forward a little, you will have to cut less on your floor pan.

And even if you don't need to cut, it'll still be an extremely tight fit. Figure out now what you are going to do with routing and clearance against the floor pan for your trans cooler lines. It'll be a lot tougher once the trans is mounted.

I did not need to cut sheet metal for my 4L60E but I'm only running maybe 350 horsepower. If you have a high horsepower motor, a 4L80E would be recommended but it does consume a lot of power before anything useful emerges at the driveshaft.

Rick
Rick,
Thanks for the info! I hate the thought of having to modify my new floor pan! If its got to be done so be it.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 12:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

The 4L80e will fit with no mods to the trans tunnel.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 2:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

It depends if you plan on remaining with the power level you're at, or you'll some day reach for another 100+ HP os so, and you plan to drag race it or not. If you plan on a greater power level some day, and you want a manual trans, do what I did with the 2005 LS2 6.0L equipped GTO that I had: A TR6060 trans. I slapped an underhood Magnuson roots supercharger on the engine and increased the power level by 140 HP on pump gas.

6 months later I blew the factory stock T56 manual trans while I was on the highway late at night, and getting into the go pedal hard. So I stepped it up by dropping some big coin on the aftermarket TR6060 trans and it took all the beatings I put on it and just kept asking for more. I'd also stay away from the aftermarket expensive dual disc clutches if I were you. many of them make noise and/or don't engage very smoothly despite what all the advertising about them says. Stay with a single disc clutch. I wish I went with my original idea to try a Centerforce brand dual friction clutch, (NOT a dual disc clutch). And DEFINITELY stay away from ceramic disc clutches because many of them are not street friendly in their operation. They either make noise, or chatter when they engage, or both.

Some guys who have ceramic disc clutches actually talk about how they have to do a burnout whenever they take their car out for a street drive in order to heat up the clutch disc just so it won't chatter every time it engages. Very ridiculous. And yet, vendors like Monster will tell you that their ceramic clutches are the best thing since sliced bread. Buyer beware

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 2:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
It depends if you plan on remaining with the power level you're at, or you'll some day reach for another 100+ HP os so, and you plan to drag race it or not. If you plan on a greater power level some day, and you want a manual trans, do what I did with the 2005 LS2 6.0L equipped GTO that I had: A TR6060 trans. I slapped an underhood Magnuson roots supercharger on the engine and increased the power level by 140 HP on pump gas.

6 months later I blew the factory stock T56 manual trans while I was on the highway late at night, and getting into the go pedal hard. So I stepped it up by dropping some big coin on the aftermarket TR6060 trans and it took all the beatings I put on it and just kept asking for more. I'd also stay away from the aftermarket expensive dual disc clutches if I were you. many of them make noise and/or don't engage very smoothly despite what all the advertising about them says. Stay with a single disc clutch. I wish I went with my original idea to try a Centerforce brand dual friction clutch, (NOT a dual disc clutch). And DEFINITELY stay away from ceramic disc clutches because many of them are not street friendly in their operation. The either make noise, or chatter when they engage, or both.

Some guys who have ceramic disc clutches actually talk about how they have to do a burnout whenever they take their car out for a street drive in order to heat up the clutch disc just so it won't chatter every time it engages. Very ridiculous. And yet, vendors like Monster will tell you that their ceramic clutches are the best thing since sliced bread. Buyer beware
That’s why you can just run an LS7 style clutch and it’ll hold up to power and drive nicely. Even the LS1 clutch can take abuse and hold up fine. My buddy has a 500whp 6.0 in this Chevelle with a 230,000 mile T56 (not rebuilt) and he beats the hell out of it. He put in a used...USED Stock LS1 clutch and it handles it. It’s crazy, the T56 is the only transmission I’d run. He even told me he’s amazed that everything even works 😂😂

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 3:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Thatís why you can just run an LS7 style clutch and itíll hold up to power and drive nicely. Even the LS1 clutch can take abuse and hold up fine. My buddy has a 500whp 6.0 in this Chevelle with a 230,000 mile T56 (not rebuilt) and he beats the hell out of it. He put in a used...USED Stock LS1 clutch and it handles it. Itís crazy, the T56 is the only transmission Iíd run. He even told me heís amazed that everything even works 😂😂
Justin, LS7 clutches are said to be very robust and provide smooth operation, so I fully agree with you there. However, I think you've misunderstood part of my last post about my GTO.

When I blew the factory stock T56 trans in my 2005 GTO, I WAS STILL using the factory stock clutch and the car only had 11K on it's clock. And the 140 HP that the small roots supercharger added was too much for the T56 trans. I didn't even drag race the car, but I was heavy on the throttle every single day on the street, and I ran sticky drag radial tires on the back, so there was significantly less tire spin than with the standard radials. So rather than jerking around with the T56, I just went right to the TR6060 trans, (which I believe are the ones that the later model Vettes, and Camaros come with). But I probably should've either went with a CenterForce clutch or the stock LS7 clutch when I had the TR6060 trans installed. I never blew the aftermarket clutch I had, but it was noisey at certain RPM, and that's despite spending $1700 on it!!. I did NOT like it
Steve R likes this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 8:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
The 4L80e will fit with no mods to the trans tunnel.
Good to know. Thanks!
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 8:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post

6 months later I blew the factory stock T56 manual trans while I was on the highway late at night, and getting into the go pedal hard. So I stepped it up by dropping some big coin on the aftermarket TR6060 trans and it took all the beatings I put on it and just kept asking for more. I'd also stay away from the aftermarket expensive dual disc clutches if I were you. many of them make noise and/or don't engage very smoothly despite what all the advertising about them says. Stay with a single disc clutch. I wish I went with my original idea to try a Centerforce brand dual friction clutch, (NOT a dual disc clutch). And DEFINITELY stay away from ceramic disc clutches because many of them are not street friendly in their operation. They either make noise, or chatter when they engage, or both.

Thanks. I agree dual disc clutches are not good and ceramic make a alot of noise. I got a lot of work before i get to this point but im just thinking so im asking. Appreciate the input.
BillyGman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in