Ls 6.0 what trans recommendations? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 6:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
My very biased opinion is a TH400, gear the rear for whatever RPM you want on the highway.

Or M23Z and rear geared for highway.

Using a numerically low rear gear without overdrive keeps driveline speed down and there's a ton of benefits to doing that.
I have a 12 bolt with 355s. Thats what i plan on using.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 6:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Here is my response.

Hint, it requires 3 pedals,

70 Test drive - YouTube
I like three pedals. Just trying to keep cost down. T56 is not cheap.

Mike
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 6:53 PM
Tech Team

Re: Ls 6.0 what trans recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
It depends if you plan on remaining with the power level you're at, or you'll some day reach for another 100+ HP os so, and you plan to drag race it or not. If you plan on a greater power level some day, and you want a manual trans, do what I did with the 2005 LS2 6.0L equipped GTO that I had: A TR6060 trans. I slapped an underhood Magnuson roots supercharger on the engine and increased the power level by 140 HP on pump gas.

6 months later I blew the factory stock T56 manual trans while I was on the highway late at night, and getting into the go pedal hard. So I stepped it up by dropping some big coin on the aftermarket TR6060 trans and it took all the beatings I put on it and just kept asking for more. I'd also stay away from the aftermarket expensive dual disc clutches if I were you. many of them make noise and/or don't engage very smoothly despite what all the advertising about them says. Stay with a single disc clutch. I wish I went with my original idea to try a Centerforce brand dual friction clutch, (NOT a dual disc clutch). And DEFINITELY stay away from ceramic disc clutches because many of them are not street friendly in their operation. They either make noise, or chatter when they engage, or both.

Some guys who have ceramic disc clutches actually talk about how they have to do a burnout whenever they take their car out for a street drive in order to heat up the clutch disc just so it won't chatter every time it engages. Very ridiculous. And yet, vendors like Monster will tell you that their ceramic clutches are the best thing since sliced bread. Buyer beware
I have a single disk ceramic, I wish I went organic. That thing holds the power though... But holy crap is it a pain to take off with sometimes. It is VERY grabby to where I sometimes chirp the tires taking off or it seems like I can't drive a manual. I do know it can take any beatings I put it through though.
BillyGman likes this.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 7:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

The 3.55 is kind of "no-man's-land" for gears. It's typically too deep for guys wanting to run highway speeds without an overdrive and too short for double overdrives in T56s.

A single overdrive would be best but I'm not a fan of the options currently available.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 7:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
The 3.55 is kind of "no-man's-land" for gears. It's typically too deep for guys wanting to run highway speeds without an overdrive and too short for double overdrives in T56s.

A single overdrive would be best but I'm not a fan of the options currently available.
3:55 works great with the .75 OD of the 4L80e.

I wish my 4L80e had a better OD like .62
Kirk's67SS likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
The 4L80e will fit with no mods to the trans tunnel.
When I had the TCI 6x installed in my ‘67 Malibu, they had to modify the tunnel. It’s the same body as a 4L80.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 9:31 PM
Team Member
Tom

The 2.73 12bolt posi in the 70 conv is a PURE, 100%, direct bolt-in. Absolutely ZERO mods required.

The Muncie I built with M22W gears, is a PURE, 100%, direct bolt-in.
The shifter that Hurst sells for the 69-72 Chevelle with a Muncie is also a direct bolt-on, plus the addition of a replica M U N C I E handle. Behind the healthy SB400, it all works great and hiway rpm is nice.

Bottom line, EVERYTHING fits with zero modifications.
LeoP likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 9:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
3:55 works great with the .75 OD of the 4L80e.

I wish my 4L80e had a better OD like .62
Yeah, that's a good combo. But the OP seems to be leaning towards a manual transmission.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 2:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
I have a single disk ceramic, I wish I went organic. That thing holds the power though... But holy crap is it a pain to take off with sometimes. It is VERY grabby to where I sometimes chirp the tires taking off or it seems like I can't drive a manual. I do know it can take any beatings I put it through though.
Yeah, I guess it's about trade-offs, eh? Thanks for your honest review on the ceramic clutch disc you have. That pretty much lines up with the things I've heard about them, so I guess what I've been told was fairly accurate. I appreciate your input on that.

Quote:
The 3.55 is kind of "no-man's-land" for gears. It's typically too deep for guys wanting to run highway speeds without an overdrive and too short for double overdrives in T56s..
Tom, it also depends on the rear tire height that's chosen. A 30" rear tire height is going to create a much different engine [email protected] given MPH on the highway than a 26" or 27" tire height will given the same rear gear ratio. I've found this online tool to be very useful for determining that....(you can even type in O/D if you know exactly what the O/D ratio is in the trans in question).....

https://www.richmondgear.com/wp-cont...alculator.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
When I had the TCI 6x installed in my ‘67 Malibu, they had to modify the tunnel. It’s the same body as a 4L80.
Ya know, for some reason these GM A-body cars really vary when it comes to body/chassis dimensions. Maybe it's due to them being manufactured a half centiry ago, and the floor boards sagging. I don't know. But your claim above reminds of how I had such a tough time installing the TCI TH400 in my 70 Chevelle. It wouldn't fit!!! And although my trans is a racing piece with a transbrake, and manual reverse pattern valve body, as far as I know, the case itself if factory GM with stock dimensions.

I thought I would have to beat the trans tunnel up with a sledgehammer, when I had the car on my brother's lift. But my brother had an idea that we used: He cut a 2X4 piece of lumber to the length we needed, and stodd it up underneath the trans tunnel, while I lowered the car slowly downward with the lift, using the weight of the car to tweak the tunnel and floor board in order to make enough room for the TH400 trance to fit without making contact with the tunnel. t worked nice, but I was very surprised that I had to resort to those measures just to get a standard factory TH400 case to fit, when these cars were available from the factory with TH400's. And yet some guys here didn't have any problems even installing 4L80E's in these cars.

The same goes for the trouble I had installing the tall deck block 632 cid engine I have into my car. I had to cut the frame to get the oil pan to fit while another guy who used to be on here installed the same engine into his Chevelle with the same oil pan, and he didn't have to cut the frame. So for some reason the chassis/frame/body dimensions can vary on these cars.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
Who is they? It can be done with no mods if you know what you are doing.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 9:49 PM
Roy

Garage

I plan on going with a T56 Magnum when I do the swap, but thats overkill if youre not building or boosting it, otherwise you can run a regular T56.

“Alright, alright, alright!”
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 4:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Who is they? It can be done with no mods if you know what you are doing.
I almost had to modify the trans tunnel on my 70 Chevelle simply for a TH400 to fit. I really had to do lots of very forceful tweaking. And although I finally got the TH400 in there, there is zero room. I cannot even install a shield for the drag strip, ( I tried, but no cigar. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do about that). So I might end up having to cut the floor anyway. And all for a trans with a factory TH400 case.

I'm telling you these old cars vary quite a bit. What works for one, won't neccessaily work for another even if it's the same year and model. And I've seen the same variances in the frames of these cars too. I think the quality control 50 years ago was terrible.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 9:04 AM
Tech Team
scott

I have a LQ9 putting 385hp to the rear wheels. Been running a slightly built 2004R in it for 2yrs with no issues. have 4:10 gears and still cruises nice on the highway and can light up the tires at any speed. Its a 72 Malibu. FYI trans is out of 87 grand national.
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean motor.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	608914
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 3:18 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

>>> Or M23Z and rear geared for highway.

killer deal there. I've done a couple of these for guys. 2.73 or 2.56 will work. 3.08 is killer.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in