• 2 Post By Sludge

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 1:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
1966 Height conundrum

Guys,
Ive almost completed my 1966 Chevelle and have a height issue I cant figure out.
The Chevelle reference CD says the stock bumper heights should be 12.9 in the front and 11 in the rear. Im assuming to the bottom of the bumper. This is with the stock tires which Im assuming were 7.35x14s which are 25.52 diameter.

Front-
Ive added 2 dropped spindles AND 2 dropped springs in the front. The front tires are 245/45-17 and are 25 diameter.
So a total of 4.25 of lowering parts and my front bumper now sits at 12.5.

Rear-
I added 3 dropped springs in the rear. The rear tires are 275/40-18 and are 26.6 diameter.
So 3.8 of lowering parts and my rear bumper now sits at 16.

I have removed weight from the front with the lighter weight engine but probably 150 lbs at the most.
I have removed nothing from the rear.
So how reliable are the dimensions on the Chevelle reference CD? I could not find bumper height dimensions anywhere else.
Tomorrow or Sunday Im going to try to get some measurements between the lower control arm and the frame for reference. Same with the rear axle to frame.

Any clues?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 1:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: 1966 Height conundrum

I believe Chevrolet published specs that show measurements from ground level up to specific points on the frame. That would be the best way of doing your measuring.
David Bates likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

If you haven't driven the car much yet, give it some time to settle in and then measure it, good luck!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
If you haven't driven the car much yet, give it some time to settle in and then measure it, good luck!
I probably have 10 miles on it so far so not much. I guess it could settle some but not inches.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I havent made it back to shop yet but Ive been looking at 1966 Chevelle pics on line. I have yet to find a pic where the rear bumper looks closer to the ground than the front bumper. According to the specs the rear bumper should be approx. 2 lower than the front.
Im really suspicious of the specs themselves.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Why not compare your measurements to the measurements of some TC members that have 66's.Should only take a couple minutes for others to measure their bumper heights so all you would need to do is ask and I think you will get your answers.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:10 PM
Dennis

Send a message via AIM to Sludge Send a message via MSN to Sludge Send a message via Yahoo to Sludge

Go to Gm's heritage web site and download your year specific PDF file. Its got every spec and dimension you could ever need.
67_LS1 and cheveslakr like this.

Too soon old and too late smart!!!
The more you GROW up the less you BLOW up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
Go to Gm's heritage web site and download your year specific PDF file. Its got every spec and dimension you could ever need.
Whoa......why didnt I know about the GM Heritage site?? Thanks for the tip! Very detailed info. The 1966 Chevelle doc was 151 pages!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

OK, new issue.
There is quite a difference between the info on the Chevelle Assembly Manual and the GM Heritage website.
The rocker panel height dimensions are as follows:

Front CAM - 9.76
Front GMH - 8
My car - 8.75
This is with my 2 dropped spindles AND 2 dropped springs.

Rear CAM - 9.53
Rear GMH - 7
My car - 8.5
This is with my 3 dropped rear springs.

Anyone out there that can give me their front/ bumper heights or their rocker panel heights.
Stock or lowered. At this point Im just gathering data.

Thanks

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 8:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I'd ignore those GMH dimensions. The frame height is a couple inches below the rocker and GMH claims 6.9" as the minimum ground clearance of all components, the third member and front lower a arms being the lowest. You can't expect the rockers to be .1" above that.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Ive come to the conclusion that the listed bumper heights in the assembly manual, on the GM Reference CD and on the GM Heritage website are wrong. Absolutely no way they could be correct.
Ive got 3 lowering springs in the rear and Im at 15.75. All three of these sources say it should be 11.
There isnt enough room between my axle tube and the frame, even without the bump stops, to get the rear bumper to 11.
No way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in