Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bart_Swisher
  • 2 Post By NickeyChevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 8:16 AM Thread Starter

1970 Chevelle NEW build

If I wanted to build a rust free 1970 Chevelle SS, what part of the car constitutes the VIN? Do I need the original frame? Or the original dash? I just want to build a rust free SS that still has the original VIN. I am selling my 69 SS to pay for the project. I am purchasing this body from Ecklers Chevelle I attached a photo. So do I just need an original frame, engine and transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50-10226.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	605582  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 8:48 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: 1970 Chevelle NEW build

I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer to your question. Much will depend on what your state Department of Motor Vehicles considers as a kit car.

Just up the road from me in Arkansas, it would be easy to do and I have friends with no kidding kit car replicas from the 30s titled as original 1930s roadster vehicles. Here in Louisiana, I don't think that would happen. But these guys knew somebody in Arkans and made it happen.

Go online to your state DMV and see what they say.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by six9chevy View Post
If I wanted to build a rust free 1970 Chevelle SS, what part of the car constitutes the VIN? Do I need the original frame? Or the original dash? I just want to build a rust free SS that still has the original VIN. I am selling my 69 SS to pay for the project. I am purchasing this body from Ecklers Chevelle I attached a photo. So do I just need an original frame, engine and transmission.
Ecklers should be able to tell you what you need. When they sell you that body it will come with A Manufacturers Certificate of Title. In Illinois, it would have to be titled as a 2019 Specially constructed vehicle, it will never be a 70 Chevelle. Other here know more than I do but, it illegal to remove a VIN from any vehicle and put it on another in any state.
Pats70ss likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Dynacorn might also be able to help out.
https://dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/chevelle/

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 5:26 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Awesome! Good luck with your project.

Freddy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
Ecklers should be able to tell you what you need. When they sell you that body it will come with A Manufacturers Certificate of Title. In Illinois, it would have to be titled as a 2019 Specially constructed vehicle, it will never be a 70 Chevelle. Other here know more than I do but, it illegal to remove a VIN from any vehicle and put it on another in any state.
I remember reading some time ago about someone using a replacement body and the vehicle was titled as new.

It was required to have all of the emission equipment of a new car.

Quote of the day.
'The difference between trash pick up and a yard sale is the distance the stuff sits from the curb".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Nowadays, most state DMVs will register a home-built car as a 1970 "Chevelle," but if you don't have a 1970 federal manufacturer VIN (as you intend to do) the car will get a funky looking state-issued VIN plate that most often gets riveted to the driver's side door frame (not very original looking, eh?). Representing a home-built car as a real 1970 Chevelle may well be fraud... Depending.

Your idea of a VIN "swap" gets touchy as some buyers have the foresight to check the various ConVIN locations for the ConVIN: which you won't have, and which may adversely affect the potential sale (and someday someone will sell the car). Again there are real concerns over representing the car as something it is not, and that's not even considering how the police would react to such a swap...

Another option to consider (and the best option in my opinion) is to buy a 1970 Chevelle with the factory Z-16 (SS396) or Z-25 (SS454) option, and then take it down to the skeleton. First, de-rust the skeleton, then rebuild the car using all new Sheetmetal. No rust plus no worries about "jacking up the VIN and driving a new home-built Chevelle under it." If you leave the ConVINs in place you're in the clear... and for probably less money than the 16K you'll spend on the Taiwan-built body shell.
1968 and 697ibew like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 2:56 PM
Tech Team
GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
I remember reading some time ago about someone using a replacement body and the vehicle was titled as new.

It was required to have all of the emission equipment of a new car.
I guess it would depend which state. After all, it's not a production car and some states don't smog test. But that's a lot of cash, just powdercoat the whole thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in