Please try and post in specific forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Storage unit tips?

Iím planning to park the Chevelle in a storage unit this winter. It had been in my attached garage since I bought it 2 years ago, but I promised my wife she could have her spot in the garage back this year. (Sigh)

Any tips, tricks, recommendations? Will a car cover trap moisture inside the car? Is a specific kind of car cover better in storage than another? Is there anything good to keep moisture low?

Iím planning to fill the tank, add Stabil, etc.
( there wonít be any power in the unit)

I still will try to drive it on nice days, too.

Thanks!

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 9:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Re: Storage unit tips?

My .02. No cover. Let it breathe. Possibly add something to the interior to ward off pests.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:50 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Think Ed hit on two of the biggest concerns. Mice and moisture. Around here we have a huge underground storage facility that is great for classics also affordable. Got anything like this? You could always trailer it over to PA for the winter.

http://wampumunderground.com

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

irish spring original

ROB

69 El Camino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 11:22 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

Full tank of gas with stabil, but that goes without saying. Other than that all I really do to mine is put the cover on and bring the battery inside. No messing around with a trickle charger, and it fires right up for me every spring.

I do roll the windows down a little before I put the cover on just to make sure moisture/humidity doesn't get trapped in the interior. And the elastic around the bottom of the cover slips under the tail pipes, otherwise if it didn't I'd probably put an old pair of socks or something over the tailpipes to help keep bugs and critters out of there.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Rick

All good advice but I'd seek a full tank of the "no ethanol" fuel. This stuff does not attract moisture. Much better for long term storage and is worth every penny of the extra 70 cents a gallon you pay for it.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

One of these on the coat hook in the back seat couldn't hurt.

https://www.costco.com/DampRid-Max-M...100450940.html

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Think Ed hit on two of the biggest concerns. Mice and moisture. Around here we have a huge underground storage facility that is great for classics also affordable. Got anything like this? You could always trailer it over to PA for the winter.

http://wampumunderground.com
Nothing even close to this around here. For someone who doesnít own a pole barn, multi car garage, etc, Itís either a high end car condo or a storage unit.

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

All great suggestions so far.

One trick I learned was to pickup a bag of dried cows blood from my local Country Max. It is normally used as a fertilizer for gardens, so it pretty cheap. Itís comes in a dry odorless (unless you stick your nose in it) granular form (not the wet granular version, which is stinky). Put a small amount into several open containers (like the plastic tops off of used spray paint) and place them inside the car Ė in the engine compartment Ė in the trunk Ė under the car Ė and so on. The stuff gives off an presence that humans donít smell, but small mammals like mice and rats stay away from.
I have had to store cars before in places that were candidates for mice (barn), but I never, never had evidence of mice in these cars. Was it because of this dried cows blood? I donít know for sure, but I believe it was because of this trick. Itís cheap to do, so I did it. In the spring; just empty the plastic containers into the garden. No smell, NBD.

I HATE smelling classic cars that use moth balls, especially when a trick like this has zero odors.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:57 AM
Tech Team
George

Garage

You better put a tracker on it... Criminals are always looking to see where their next target will be... This tracker gives you real time movement..... It's the best money you'll spend...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracker.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	605052  
Dkar26 likes this.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 5:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace77084 View Post
You better put a tracker on it... Criminals are always looking to see where their next target will be... This tracker gives you real time movement..... It's the best money you'll spend...

That’s cool but it says the battery only lasts 1-2 weeks?

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 5:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

I put dryer sheets all over my storage units. except for where I accidentally left an open bag of malted barley I didn't have any pest issues.
Dkar26 likes this.

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 6:36 PM
Tech Team
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Thatís cool but it says the battery only lasts 1-2 weeks?
If you have it set to notify you every 30 seconds it will last about 2 weeks... If you set it for the recommended 10 minutes it'll last for about a month... It's good to charge it every 3 weeks... I'm ok with it..
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 12:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

I have to keep mine in the driveway with a breathable cover and a Battery Tender (no garage); I've read to use either dryer sheets or mothballs for the rodent thing. I'd rather use the dryer sheets because I plan to drive the car occasionally (when there isn't salt on the roads) to keep it in shape. Some swear by the sheets while some say it's a myth. Besides Joe, has anyone else had good luck with the dryer sheets? I'd rather not have to deal with trying to remove the mothballs smell. Squirrels can be a problem also.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post
Squirrels can be a problem also.
Another reason to try the granular dried cows blood.
I know this sounds gross, but it really is not, and SO simple to do! Zero odors to you and me.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in