• 6 Post By ranvette
  • 1 Post By nashville beth
  • 3 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Floor tunnel factory hack

For those of you who have seen your fair share of cars from 1970, which factory did the worst hack job when they were cutting the floor pan out for the four-speed tunnel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:51 PM
Tech Team

Re: Floor tunnel factory hack

I was working at Framingham mass GM assembly plant.Those were stamped out as far as i remember.And if they were cut they certainly were a clean job.I installed the D55 console option.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:56 PM
Tech Team

Ranvette
Probably a dumb question
But was there any kind of feeling by the workers they were building something special

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
Joe

A friend bought a new 1970 Nova SS 350/4 spd. bench seat, no console. We were really surprised to see it the first time from underneath. It looked like they just blew a hole in the floor with a torch. I don't know the plant where it was built but, over the years I've seen others that looked the same way.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sargent Jr View Post
For those of you who have seen your fair share of cars from 1970, which factory did the worst hack job when they were cutting the floor pan out for the four-speed tunnel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranvette View Post
I was working at Framingham mass GM assembly plant.Those were stamped out as far as i remember.And if they were cut they certainly were a clean job.I installed the D55 console option.

They pretty much look the same. Like someone went to town with a torch and it left a rough cut that can be seen from under the car. Ranvette said he saw a nicely stamped cutout. What he was seeing was the 4 speed tunnel cover or hump that was a clean stamping and was spot welded to the floor.

Ranvette, don't know your name, but it would be interesting to see a thread "Ask the guy that built Chevelles" or something like that. Maybe you can fill in your profile and name
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 7:39 AM
Tech Team

Guys we built 68 and 69 chevelles And GTOs/Judges and 442s up to 1970.Remember here come the judge was a big saying then.There was no feeling we were building some thing special at the time. A few got smashed up there good in the lot.A lot of rubber was burned to.Total one right it off and build a complete another one for the dealer order.You could hear the motors screaming.Each car was run to the floor threw all the gears on roll test we called it.Like a dyno at the end of the line.And YES motors did blow up durring that test.Rarely but did happen Framingham Assembly plant is still there in all its glory.Now used by adesa auction. Biggest car auction in the world holds 10,000 cars. When i drive past there tears come to my eyes.I see the ghosts of those cars in the lot for shipping and driveing out of the building.I hear Framinhams power plant running we had our own there to energize the building to full power. Randy G Local UAW 422
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 8:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

I'm sure most people in 1969 had no idea the musclecar thing was going to end the next year.

Unleaded gas was coming and insurance rates were rising.
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 9:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

FACT: I do know the hole in the floor for my Ordered ( 1970-SS 454 M-22 ElCamino, 2nd week of March Balt. Built,) was as cut with a torch. Wadda Ya Mean? I was screwing around the the M-22 Shift rods in June / July of 1970, And a piece of torch drippings about a 1/4" long went under my THUMBNAIL.
Thumb is now looking like a cherry tomato, Go to doctor, He cuts it open and the yucky stuff runs out, Then he removes a piece of STEEL,,,, A piece of torch dripping.
A 100% " NO " on the hole being stamped out... The hole for my M-22 was cut with a F---EN torch!..
NOTE: When I did the frame off, That hole is NOW, Nice and SMOOTH and no sign of torch drippings !
Bob
Some things in life, You just NEVER forget, That was one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I will say my Baltimore built 66 had a nice clean cut factory hole. as I re-used it when I replaced my floor pans

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 10:52 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sargent Jr View Post
My 70 was built at the Atlanta plant. Looks like the tunnel was hacked out with a torch and axe. Brutal.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

My Baltimore built 69' 4 Speed also definitely torch cut...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69' SS396 Chevelle L78 396/375hp M-21 Close Ratio Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 2:58 PM
Tech Team

well guys that is interesting.Only way that type of thing would have been done (torch cut) in Framingham
would have been some parts not available.Or a forced out of sequence build.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 2:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

My 70 Oshawa was torch cut. You can only see this from under the car when looking up into the tunnel. From the top side, you see a nicely stamped add on 4-speed tunnel hump that has been spot welded in place. There appears to be some sort of seam sealer between the 2 pieces.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 8:09 AM
Tech Team
John

Mine had a non-console shift hump, when I removed the hump to convert to a console I was thinking wtf? When installing the console hump I used weld thru primer on the flange and seam sealed the inside and underneath. As Robin said, lots of slag which I cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DE41389-52AC-4735-8036-6D299259AB85.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	603456  

Last edited by SSJohn; Sep 15th, 19 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in