• 7 Post By lucifershammer
  • 1 Post By DZAUTO
  • 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By sselkoe78
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 2:40 AM Thread Starter

Frame Boxing for 71 Chevelle

Hello Chevelle Fam,

I’m working on a restoration on my 71 Chevelle. I wanted to obtain input or knowledge regarding boxing the original chassis on the A-body Chevelle frames. I’ve purchased full complete protouring suspension with coilovers all around. I was advised to box the frame. My goal is to add an LS3, I’m not trying to drag race, quartered mike or anything just make it a cruiser. Is it really necessary to buy ABC or Hellwing kit to box frame? Any input it’s greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 8:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Frame Boxing for 71 Chevelle

Look into an el Camino frame. There massive.. They will need cut in the back though..

Your biggest problem is not taking advice from the competition people with there big cams and solid bushings.
I'm in the process now of making a set of stock upper front control arms for my 69 that will give me +5 positive caster. The 73 Chevelle arms look like a winner. The deal is they have rubber bushings that ride smooth. I have SPC arms now with Delrin bushings, they ride rough! My car used to have such a nice ride with the stock suspension..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 8:13 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Don't box too much leave room to be able to move cross member in and out or if you change transmissions etc. Plus you might want to run something through the frame so leave some access room. Maybe look at a convertible frame to see what they did there.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 8:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

You should remove the frame, and there is a lot to do to get it there. Here's what I did to make the cross member adjustable. Look around on the different forums to get an idea on what to do.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 9:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

To answer your question (and others may feel free to disagree with me) - for a daily street cruiser car that you aren't going to race, there is no need to box the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sselkoe78 View Post
Hello Chevelle Fam,

I’m working on a restoration on my 71 Chevelle. I wanted to obtain input or knowledge regarding boxing the original chassis on the A-body Chevelle frames. I’ve purchased full complete protouring suspension with coilovers all around. I was advised to box the frame. My goal is to add an LS3, I’m not trying to drag race, quartered mike or anything just make it a cruiser. Is it really necessary to buy ABC or Hellwing kit to box frame? Any input it’s greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Clint44, -SS454-, LeoP and 4 others like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 10:09 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
To answer your question (and others may feel free to disagree with me) - for a daily street cruiser car that you aren't going to race, there is no need to box the frame.
Agree 100%
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 12:54 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
to answer your question (and others may feel free to disagree with me) - for a daily street cruiser car that you aren't going to race, there is no need to box the frame.

Exactly!!!

But, just for added information, the convertibles and El Caminos were built with boxed frames.
IF, just IF you should come across a junk, donor conv or Elky frame, you could cut off the box channels from the frame rails and weld them onto your frame. Also, conv and Elky tranny cross members are shorter and unique to the conv/Elkys.
LeoP likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have a 1970 Nomad Sta,=. Wgn. with a 468 and a 700. It has been driven over 39.000 or close to 40.000 highway mile to cruises and shows.
The ride is fantastic and it drives Fantastic. These words are from my wife, She loves to drive the wagon.
Front suspension: Stock uppers & lowers with all moog parts.-- Over the counter GAS shocks.-- 1-1/4" front sway bar-- Jeep steering box.--new STOCK coils.
Rear suspension: Boxed L.C.Arms.--Frame braces--F-41 stock sway bar--All new STOCK rubber bushings--Top left Torque arm has the patch--New style air shocks.
This is what you need for a driver/Cruiser. NOW, If I was the owner of a gas station, I would recommend you should run 110 or 115 octane, @- 8 to 12 dollars a gallon WHY? this would improve the performance of your 307. It would also improve the size of the owners wallet!
The stock O.E.M. parts have worked very well in STREET DRIVEN Cars of all kinds for 50-60-70 years. Unless you are building a " Special Purpose Car " You will get another 50 years of service by using stock O.E.M. parts".
Its your money, Make wise decisions, " Grasshopper ".
Bob
72 Greenbrier likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 6:21 PM
Team Member
Tom

Bob, I'm glad you mentioned the 307.
MANY, MANY people condemn the 307 as a viable performance engine. And I strongly disagree. The 307 cannot be made into a killer 468, BUUUUUUUUUUUT, dropping in a 350 crank (1/4in stroke) and a .030 bore, you end up with 335 cubic inches---------------that's just 15 inches less than a 350. Then just build it with pistons, cam, heads and other parts just as would be done to build a healthy 350----------------AND YOU KEEP THE ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING ENGINE!!!!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 20th, 19, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input. It makes it a lot easier to make up my mind. Two other shops just informed me that as long as Im not trying to get 600 hp or more no need to spend money on boxing but can use for suspension or drivetrain. Thank you all once again👍🏽
LeoP likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Unread Aug 21st, 19, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Exactly!!!

But, just for added information, the convertibles and El Caminos were built with boxed frames.
IF, just IF you should come across a junk, donor conv or Elky frame, you could cut off the box channels from the frame rails and weld them onto your frame. Also, conv and Elky tranny cross members are shorter and unique to the conv/Elkys.

I've heard for years how great the convertible frame is, but mine has always felt like a wet noodle. I think it could use a MAJOR amount of stiffening. Also, in my factory assembly manual, I'll swear it lists the SAME part number for the hardtop or the convertible frame on the 72'.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just a question for the Rag Top owners. " IF " the chassis & body were not designed to " Twist & Flex ". ( GEE... Its kinda like " Twist & Shout "- The
Isley Bros. ) Why do the rag tops have the brass wedges in the doors?..................... Richard Dawson SAYS-- The answer is ......................................?
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 1:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

jacking

Endeavor to persevere... Lone Watie -

Proud owner of a bunch of parts that used to be a 70 Malibu convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in