19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Informal 69 Survey

Recently there was a thread about the correctness and/or the installation of a passenger side mirror. I believe the thread happened to pertain to a 69.
I was in attendance at the recent NOCC show where there was a large gathering of 69s. So I decided to do an informal survey. At the time of the survey I was able to count seventy four 1969 Chevelles. Of those seventy four 69 Chevelles I counted thirty with a passenger side mirror.
I also did a survey for 69s with bumper guards and another with large bolster bucket seats.
I found eight of the seventy four 69s had bumper guards. That is an above average number as only one of every twenty six 1969 Chevelles produced chose that option. I rechearched this as my 69 was originally a bumper guard optioned car and I was torn between installing the missing guards. Ultimately I decided against the guards and had the mounting holes filled when I had my original bumpers redone.
Lastly was the big bolster seats. I found one of the seventy four 69s with the big bolster seats which turned out to be the TMI brand done in the 69 pattern. There was a few that had what I think was Procar seats and maybe big bolsters with custom covers but those were minimal.
Now what anyone will do with this information I don't know but just thought I would share it seeing as how I gathered it.
von likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: Informal 69 Survey

I wasn't there to get counted, but I have a passenger side mirror and the Legendary rallye large bolster seat covers in my 69. No bumper guards though. Those are too Ford LTD for me.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 12:44 PM
Tech Team

Can’t add anything but what I have on my 69. Not really sure what’s even original without the build sheet but thanks for the info. No mirrors, buick seats, rear bumper pads, vigalent blinkers, rear antenna. Don’t know if you can use this or not.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Can you explain "big bolster" seats? I thought pretty much every '69-70 Chevelle seat had the same side bolster foam on the OEM strato-buckets.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:08 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I wasn't there and mine has none of the above. I am curious about the passenger side mirror. Are they useful at all? I am always afraid to change from the left to right lane. I added one to a '68 C10 and it was about useless. I'm not sure what year they came out with the convex shaped mirror but they sure do help.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I wasn't there and mine has none of the above. I am curious about the passenger side mirror. Are they useful at all? I am always afraid to change from the left to right lane. I added one to a '68 C10 and it was about useless. I'm not sure what year they came out with the convex shaped mirror but they sure do help.

I think so. This is the view I see from the driver's seat.

Larger bolsters are an option with new seat covers.
mr 4 speed and MarkP like this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Did you happen to notice how many of the 69's had three point belts too?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

69 and up the right side mirror is un-obstructed by the vent window frame,so if the mirror is adjusted correctly should give you a good view.On 68 and below cars that vent window frame messes up the mirror view,at least it did for me anyway.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I wasn't there to get counted, but I have a passenger side mirror and the Legendary rallye large bolster seat covers in my 69. No bumper guards though. Those are too Ford LTD for me.
Steve,
Had you been there with your 69 you could have increased the big bolster count by 100%.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 2:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Interesting

I see some 69's with 70 mirrors because they are sold as 69's

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...8&d=1416157055

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...6&d=1416157070

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 3:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

My '69 SS has bench seats and no passenger side mirror. It does have front and rear bumper guards, but they are apparently not original to the car, as evidenced by comparing a 2017 photo to a 1970 photo (featuring the original owner).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	600596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Quadruple Size.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	600598  
71350SS likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Larger bolsters are an option with new seat covers
Steve, those seats look great

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 5:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

I don't have the passenger side mirror, but I wish I did. Would make backing into the garage a lot easier, the old neck does not turn as far as it once did.
Alan F, von, 71350SS and 2 others like this.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 6:38 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Mine was there and was one with a passenger side mirror. It wasn't an RPO in '69 but I believe it was a dealer accessory. I added mine because even though it's not convex it does give a somewhat of a view on the passenger side and I'm used to one on my DD. Also in my old age I can't twist my head around like I used to, LOL.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 7:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Steve, those seats look great

Thanks Chris. The wrinkles smoothed out after letting them by the door in the sun. The Legendary stuff is pretty nice. The passenger mirror is for a 69 Camaro, which used the same mirror for the driver's side as the Chevelle, so it matches perfectly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in