19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Re: Informal 69 Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
Did you happen to notice how many of the 69's had three point belts too?
I was there...no pass. mirror or bumper guards but I do have the shoulder belts (but don't use them). They were there when I got the car back in '86.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE 69 View Post
I was there...no pass. mirror or bumper guards but I do have the shoulder belts (but don't use them). They were there when I got the car back in '86.
The shoulder belts you don't use are an original/factory federally mandated install. Somdthing about keeping people from injuring themselves... You can lead a horse etc.

The "3 Point Seat Belts" refered to by the OP are the new-style retractables that use a single male to female buckle (like new cars).

I'm on the fence about installing the 3 Point Belts. The Wife hates the original / factory shoulder belts and she is willing to buy The `Bu the new-style belts! But I just don't know... Maybe...

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Obviously I was there and mine doesn't have the passenger mirror. But I have had an NOS mirror for 20 years still in the box. Gone back and forth many times about actually installing it. At this point Morrison Classics offers a convex mirror. Just makes a decision harder.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 11:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage

I was the originator of the passenger mirror question.
I still haven't decided if I want to install it or not. I do know that every time I back out of my garage, I look to that spot for a mirror, which is not there. Should be an easy decision then.

What I did decide on was to wait for the winter, when I do most of the maintenance on my car and add the mirror to the list. You see... I need about a 9 month list to keep me busy since that's what a Buffalo winter gives you.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:58 AM
Tech Team
Ross

Ive told my wife if she ever gets me on Overhauling to tell Foose to leave my mirrors alone! I like them. My 66 Impala doesn't have a passenger side one and I miss it.
71350SS likes this.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:22 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

As long as we are on the passenger mirror subject I have a question for those that have them. Obviously there are a few different makers. The Morris mirrors have been designed to eliminate the blind spot. However I don't see many claims from users with other mirrors that the blind spot is an issue. By far the most common complaint is the mirror dropping. I found that putting divots in the ball with a spring loaded punch helped quite a bit with my original on the drivers side. It stays put when driving but does get displaced when removing the car cover sometimes. I'm sure the Morris mirrors are better against the blind spot but they claim with the other mirrors one can't see the lane immediately to the right. Is that a real issue or just a claim from one with a better mouse trap?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:38 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The shoulder belts you don't use are an original/factory federally mandated install. Somdthing about keeping people from injuring themselves... You can lead a horse etc.

The "3 Point Seat Belts" refered to by the OP are the new-style retractables that use a single male to female buckle (like new cars).

I'm on the fence about installing the 3 Point Belts. The Wife hates the original / factory shoulder belts and she is willing to buy The `Bu the new-style belts! But I just don't know... Maybe...
Bruce, I put the 3 point seat belts in one of my ‘69 Chevelles and it was the best thing. I only used the lap belt before and always felt somewhat unprotected. They are comfortable and convenient. Highly recommended.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 1:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I have both mirrors from Morris. The only problem is that there are screws in the back of the mirror, so it's not like factory. These mirrors do not move. I like the view out of the right side despite it not being convex. You can order them with convex if you want. You can also order a convex glass to install over the old one, but it is not needed in my opinion.

I also have the 3 point belts. I had to keep the wife happy with good belts and air conditioning. The only problem I have with the belts is that they hang down in the window openings. I also ordered a longer buckle strap to get the belt further off of my neck. Well...there is also the "larger lap/short lag" problem, and the longer buckle belt made me more comfortable.

No bolsters on my seats though. I thought about it, but I'd probably smash those puppies down in no time.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 7:25 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I don't know who made the pass side mirror I got about 10 yr ago from Hinshaws. It looks pretty close to NOS though. No convex but helps lot. I use the factory shoulder belts. I believe in being as safe as you can since you never know when some idiot will ram you or pull out in front of you (I've had that happen several times). These cars are idiot magnets.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 10:54 AM
Tech Team

My EC came both with the Pass Side mirror and the front bumper guards.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I was at the show and my Chevelle does have a Pass Side Mirror. I installed it during my restoration. I welded in some additional support inside the door similar to what the drivers door had from the factory.

69' SS396 Chevelle L78 396/375hp M-21 Close Ratio Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

... No Bumper Guards, Regular Bucket Seats, (originally a 4 Speed Bench Seat Car).

69' SS396 Chevelle L78 396/375hp M-21 Close Ratio Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in