Drift chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Drift chevelle

Hey guys new to this forum, I have a 1970 chevelle and I have never seen a drift chevelle, can't find one on the internet. How hard do you think it would be to fab everything to make one. I'm 16 and no plans on doing it now but possibly in the future, I have a pretty basic knowledge of how engines, suspension etc work from my auto class at my school and also from working at stuff at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:28 PM
Team Member
Tom

Re: Drift chevelle

I'm not sure that your are going to find many (if any) folks in the Chevelle community that are into drifting.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

I tried that once, didn't go so well.

MarkP, hjdca and shovelrick like this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 3:26 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Those of us with BBC cars do it by accident once in awhile! I can't imagine a Chevelle wouldnt make an awesome drift car with the right suspension setup.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 5:47 PM
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

I'm sure you can do it. you need horsepower (no problem), handbrake (will need to fab a handbrake and brackets), and then some suspension work. The only thing I don't know is if the drift cars change the steering to allow the front wheels to turn more to deal with the drift angles. That might actually be the hardest thing to change. I would think there is enough aftermarket options for handbrakes, shocks, springs, etc. to do the rest.

While most of us are not into drifting, if this is your car and that is what you want to do with it, go ahead and try.

Brad Waller

'66 Corvette | 352/??? | 4-speed | Wilwood Brakes | 245/50/16
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes | 275/40/17
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 8:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

There is a 70-72 Monte Carlo that drifts Sonomaís Wednesday night events about once a month and you will occasionally see a 68-72 El Camino. All of these cars are pretty beat. I wouldnít drift anything nice, those at start out that way usually donít stay that way for long.

Steve R
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 12:13 AM
Tech Team

Your going to want more steering angle, so maybe a rack and pinion conversion and remove the steering steering stops

Jeff

67 Chevelle convertible Ly6 4l80e
68 Nomad Custom Wagon
70 Chevelle Convertible
71 SS 454 Chevelle LS5 W/Build Sheet
72 Chevelle Convertible RJ 502 TKO 600
73 El Camino SS

68 Buick Skylark LQ9 4L65E
72 buick GS 350

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Before you get in over your head, your 70 Chevelle will certainly do it, but the learning curve is pretty massive, and you may think its cool now, but hate the damage you do to your car. If I was you, I would look for a cheap 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird. HandBrake is already in place, steering stops can easily be cut off, and the non performance versions can be had for cheap. If 70 Chevelles are a dime a dozen in your local, ignore everything I said. As always just my .02.
Steve R, hydro462 and shovelrick like this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

This is just my opinion of drifting as a sport or not,so here it is.
I really don't consider drifting a sport because there are judges and/or judging concerned to decide the winner.It's not if you can cross the finish line first or can go faster than someone else.And so Yes, it is hard to do and the drivers have to have real talent to perform but as long as judging is involved in picking the winner, I see winning as being speculative and dependent on a decision of someone observing the event,that's the part I don't like.Nothing is pass go and then you get $200 and just watching the event you don't know who won or lost.Like I said JMO
Since what I said probably won't and probably shouldn't change your mind about drifting with that being said I agree with what was said about the 70 Chevelle's value being worth too much to waste it as a drifter that will get torn up.The best value is a third Gen Camaro as it has 2 or 3 key things in place already.Plus it might be easier to add a rack & pinion steering on them.Your best value is to sell the 70 and use it to fund your entrance into the "sport" of drifting.
Good Luck with your project whatever you choose to do.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Is Autocross something different?

Mike

My

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

MCACN Gold
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

^^^^^ Yeah it is.In Autocross the lowest time is what wins the race.Lowest time through the course without running over any cones, wins.
Drifting requires you to either follow or lead a second car as you run the course and then you reverse the order from the first run and then run the course again.When they're done then they judge who the winner is.Maybe there are different kinds of drifting but that's what I saw.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
^^^^^ Yeah it is.In Autocross the lowest time is what wins the race.Lowest time through the course without running over any cones, wins.
Drifting requires you to either follow or lead a second car as you run the course and then you reverse the order from the first run and then run the course again.When they're done then they judge who the winner is.Maybe there are different kinds of drifting but that's what I saw.
Got it !

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 2:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Is Autocross something different?
Definitely Yes.....While still hard on the car, and serious suspension modifications still have to be made. "Hitting Cones" because you "Apexed Late", is different than drifting into another car, a wall, or whatever obstacle your suppose to be "Drifting Around". While it may be fun, the body damage when a tire explodes, or comes off the rim, because its been abused WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond design limits, is all to real. Not to mention the price of tires to simply smoke show. Autocross take considerable skill and driving ability, and is a lot of fun.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
Definitely Yes.....While still hard on the car, and serious suspension modifications still have to be made. "Hitting Cones" because you "Apexed Late", is different than drifting into another car, a wall, or whatever obstacle your suppose to be "Drifting Around". While it may be fun, the body damage when a tire explodes, or comes off the rim, because its been abused WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond design limits, is all to real. Not to mention the price of tires to simply smoke show. Autocross take considerable skill and driving ability, and is a lot of fun.
Big with the Good Guys crowd

Fun to watch.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ea&oe=5DB1D7D4
langss likes this.

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 7:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Big with the Good Guys crowd

Fun to watch.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ea&oe=5DB1D7D4
I hear you.....I never did it in my Chevelle...(well not really) unless you consider doing donuts in an unplowed parking lot in December. But I ran an 86TA out at ElToro a couple of times, and realized I couldn't afford the fun I was having.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in