2Likes
  • 1 Post By Peewee0413
  • 1 Post By gnicholson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 1:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Cutting coil springs

I have searched the site and cannot find the material I need. Does anyone recall how many coils to cutoff front springs to lower car 1 inch.
I read it a long time ago but didn't need it then.
I replaced the 307 with a big block and bought new springs. Car sets up about 2 inches too high in the front even after about 2 years.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 1:39 AM
Tech Team

Re: Cutting coil springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper '69 View Post
I have searched the site and cannot find the material I need. Does anyone recall how many coils to cutoff front springs to lower car 1 inch.

I read it a long time ago but didn't need it then.

I replaced the 307 with a big block and bought new springs. Car sets up about 2 inches too high in the front even after about 2 years.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim
1 at the spring is 2 at the body... cut 1" off the top...I think...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aimhard likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 2:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

what springs did you put in
. what are you doing with the car? cutting springs raises the rate. not nec a bad thing but can be
David Bates likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 4:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Can you post pics?

I am looking to swap springs myself, would love to see what it looks like and what part number was used.

Also, have you tried increasing your tire size to take up some slack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 7:38 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

What spring did you put in that made it so high? Thats where i would sort of start. Do you like the spring rate on that spring? Like mentioned above, cutting that spring will firm it up some, and i thought at one point i saw a rough formula on that. So if you feel you have a harsh ride now with those springs, that will get worse. if its a nice soft ride, then maybe firming it up some wont be a horrible thing. There is a spring out there, that will do what you want it to, its just a matter of finding it, and i cant believe its not somewhere on this site, but im sure it requires a bit of digging to find a part number. Cutting springs can be trial and error work. And as we know, super fun to take in and out several times. From experience with this on my Camaro, i would invest in a proper spring compressor, rather than the floor jack method.

If you know what spring you have, so you can get the specs on it, uninstalled height, # rating, etc, you might be able to find a shorter spring with the same # rating, and get lucky, one would imagine a shorter spring with the same specs should just lower the car a proportionate amount, again, 1" shorter spring should put the body down 2".
This is probably the path i would go down, but i can be totally off base here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 8:55 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee0413 View Post
1 at the spring is 2 at the body... cut 1" off the top...I think...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, 1" off spring height will lower about 2"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 1:13 PM
Tech Team

Yes so if you want to drop the car 1inch you need to cut 1/2 off the spring !!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

The best thing to do is cut a little at a time. It's a lot more work, but you can't put it back on. What stance are you looking to get? Spring rate does go up, but in my experience, even cutting a little off of stiff lowering springs, the car still rode very nice. Also, I'd like to add that when I switched from an aluminum headed small block to an iron headed big block with Hotchkis 1901 springs, the car sat almost the same, maybe a 1/4" lower. BB springs always seem to stick the front end in the clouds, even with a big block. Start with less than half of a coil to be safe.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 2:51 PM

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I have the lowest Hotchkis springs available in my 66 and it sits high due to the lightweight engine. I asked Hotchkis about cutting and they did not offer the “cut 1” to lower 2””. They said cut as little as possible, no more than a 1/4 coil at a time until you get where you want to be. Their theory being you can always cut more but you can’t add any back.
Which I guess works fine for Chevelle front springs but what about the rears? Doesn’t being tapered preclude cutting them?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in