Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bobby

cowl hood hinges

I have a 70 tribute car with a cowl hood and induction system. All works but the hinges wont allow the hood to close down on the back side. What is the best hinges to purchase and right spring setup?
Thanks
Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: cowl hood hinges

Hood hinges are a witch to adjust. The best springs are your GM originals, but you may need to get them rebuilt. Search this site for someone who does that. I'm thinkin' that springs be springs (i.e. the cowl hoods used the same springs as the non-cowl hoods)... But I may be wrong again...

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

As Bruce said, if your hinges are original, I highly recommend sending them to Willy to have rebuilt. The reproductions are junk, and are prone to fail. I had a reproduction hinge break as I was closing my hood. Not a good situation! He can also provide you with the correct springs for the cowl induction hood. If you don't have GM originals, he can sell you them as well.

HoodHingeRepair.com

Are you familiar with how to adjust the hinges? Here's a good explanation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Hood alignment: Lets start with raising and lowering the rear of the hood.
If you have a hood where the hinge mounts on the side of the fender like in an older car or truck, you want to "rotate" the hinge on the fender. Just pushing the hinge up and down will give you very little movement on the top of the hood.
This is the strange little trick that you have to remember, if you raise the back of the hood on the hinge or raise the back of the hinge on the fender the hood will go up. If you raise the "front" of the back of the hood ON THE HINGE or the hinge to the fender it will go down. What you have to remember is you are working with a pivot point in the hinge, not a stationary part.
If you loosen the FRONT bolt on the hood (where it bolts to the hinge) and put a shim, or washer between the hood and hinge, this will LOWER the hood on that side. If you put that same washer under the rear bolt it will RAISE the rear of the hood on that side.
So, if you loosen the bolts from the hinge to fender and close the hood, the hinge will rotate on down in the front right? This will raise the REAR of the hood like putting a shim in the back bolt between the hinge and hood!
What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts (only slightly) and PUSH UP on the front of the hood. This rotates the hinges back, thus raising the front of the hinge and lowering the hood in the back.
If the hinges are warn out it wont change how high the hood sits when the wear, not by more than a fraction of an inch. And I have never seen a car with these style hinges that you couldn't put the hood a half inch LOWER than the fenders if you wanted to. The adjustment is HUGE on these cars. That is one of the things that is easy to do on them is align panels.
I recommend you remove the striker or latch from the hood so that you can move it up and down without worrying about the latch grabbing the hood. After you have aligned the hood, take a piece of dumb-dumb or clay or something similar and put it on the latch. This way you can see exactly where it hits when you do install the latch. You bring the hood down till you just tap this dumb-dumb but DON'T LATCH IT. Just so the hood makes an indentation in the clay/dumb-dumb. This tells you where you have to move the latch.
I do this at work everyday, by my self so if you can't get help this is the trick. Always leave one bolt on the hinge tight. If you want to rotate it back, leave the front bolt tight. If you want to rotate it forward, leave the rear bolt tight. When you move the hood forward or back on the hinge, leave the bolts snug enough that you have to tap on the edge of the hood to get it to move. Or if it needs to go back, leave the bolts a little snug, and wiggle the hood up and down and the weight of the hood will make it slide down. Remember it only needs a 1/16" or so to make a 3/16" or more change at the front. To pull the hood forward on the hinge loosen them so they are still a little snug so you have to pull up on the back of the hood to make it slide that little bit. If you loosen it up so it moves anywhere you want it, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH YOU MOVED IT AND YOU WILL MOVE IT TOO MUCH, GUARANTEED.
Get the hood laying flat first, then move the hood forward or back on each side to make the hood fit the hole between the fenders. If the gap is large on the front right and small on the front left, then the hood needs to me moved back on the right side. As you move the hood back on a side it will close up the gap in the front of that side and open it at the rear of that side.
You may need to move fenders too. Just do each change slowly, move it VERY LITTLE. Look at the bolt and washer as you move the panel, you will see where the washer used to be, the amount is much easier to control if you watch the washer movement.
If you need to move the hood up or down at the front, you have a few ways to do it. First, on each side there are the bumpers. The hood bumpers are located at each front corner and look like a bolt with a rubber pad on top. Just unlock the jam nut and raise or lower the bolt so it holds the hood at the height you need to match the fender. You may find that the hood wont go low enough even with the bumper down far enough. The latch may not be down far enough. When you close the hood, you shouldnt be able to pull up on the hood or push it down. The latch should be tight enough to hold it against the bumpers tight, but not too tight. If you have to apply too much force to open the hood or it opens with a loud POP, the latch is probably too tight. If it is at the right height but you can lift it up some, then the latch needs to be moved down.
davewho1 likes this.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 1:22 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, 100 %, send them to Willy. He's worth it. Please don't waste your time and money trying aftermarket hinges. I love what he did with mine and he upgraded the springs to a set of 29 coil springs to accommodate my change from a normal hood to a cowl induction hood.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 7:31 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

I played heck getting mine adjusted after I had the car painted. And they are the originals with 50k miles on them. Had the same issue as you and it was all in the adjustment.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 8:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

You can still get the 1970 - 1972 Chevelle / El camino hinges from a GM dealer list $274.95 each cost $206.21 is what they would cost me from my GM dealer delivered to the shop.
The springs have been discontinued for a long time.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminonut View Post
You can still get the 1970 - 1972 Chevelle / El camino hinges from a GM dealer list $274.95 each cost $206.21 is what they would cost me from my GM dealer delivered to the shop.
The springs are still available from GM, not as good as they were in the 60's and 70's, but still far better thank re-pops. Part number is 3848272. The GM hinges that are still available are made with more lead than high carbon steel, and when people send them to me to rebuild, I tell them I cannot, because of their metal make-up. They are easily identified by the carriage bolt rivet style peening and not the facotry X stamp of originals, for what that is worth.

Willie

70 SS 454 Chevelle
72 SS 402 Chevelle
72 Monte Carlo 350
68 SS 396 Chevelle
2018 Malibu LT
see pics of them at

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:15 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbys70ss View Post
I have a 70 tribute car with a cowl hood and induction system. All works but the hinges wont allow the hood to close down on the back side. What is the best hinges to purchase and right spring setup?
Thanks
Bobby
It may be binding. Spray all hinges with WD-40. If it is binding a little, this will allow the back end to go down. Be warned though, WD-40 makes the hinges slick, so, if your springs are not up to the task, the hood many not stay up in the various positions.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW23 View Post
The springs are still available from GM, not as good as they were in the 60's and 70's, but still far better thank re-pops. Part number is 3848272. The GM hinges that are still available are made with more lead than high carbon steel, and when people send them to me to rebuild, I tell them I cannot, because of their metal make-up. They are easily identified by the carriage bolt rivet style peening and not the facotry X stamp of originals, for what that is worth.

Willie
Willie,
You're right that part number is still available list $23.68 cost $17.34 they should be the 28 coil.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminonut View Post
They are just reproductions licensed by GM, not the same. These are what I had fail on my car. One of the rivets popped right out of the hinge. Sent a photo to Willie and he knew right away that they weren't original GM. I bought cores through him and he rebuilt and powder coated them for me. Worth the $$$!

Here's a photo of the rivet that popped loose on the hinges that GM sells now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_173527.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	597380  

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

On a related note - are the '70-'72 Monte Carlo hinges the same as the Chevelle's?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
On a related note - are the '70-'72 Monte Carlo hinges the same as the Chevelle's?
The listing I have says Yes, left side 3976675 right side 39766676
Also the same for 1970 - 1972 passenger car
davewho1 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 3:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Yes, spring was different on the 70 Monte Carlo, than the 71-72. Hinges also fit 70 Impala. but not 71 or 72.

Willie
davewho1 and caminonut like this.

70 SS 454 Chevelle
72 SS 402 Chevelle
72 Monte Carlo 350
68 SS 396 Chevelle
2018 Malibu LT
see pics of them at

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 5:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW23 View Post
Yes, spring was different on the 70 Monte Carlo, than the 71-72. Hinges also fit 70 Impala. but not 71 or 72.

Willie
Thanks willie,
I will update my info here at the shop.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bobby

Thanks all for the information I should have stated that the original are gone they were not on the car when i purchased. I feel that these are from a very far away place and are very bad quality .... what should i purchase?
Thanks again.... and Happy 4th
Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in