Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

I am ready to upgrade the radio/stereo in my 1970 SS 396, and I see that choices are fairly limited. I do not want to alter the dash. So far, I am considering Antique Audio, Classic Car Stereo, and RetroSound. Love the look of the Antique Audio, but it doesn't do as much as the others. So which unit do you like, and why? Thanks in advance!
Tricia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 7:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Jefferson County, WA
Posts: 1,921
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

This is what I put in my '69. Pricy, but the closest thing to the original in appearance, but with Bluetooth and so many other features.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-Che....c100009.m1982
Saltherring is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 13,115
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Check with Mike Hagan at Home page MikeHaganAntiqueAutoRadio.com and good luck!
Saltherring and Tricia like this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeoP is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 9:29 AM
Tech Team
Rame
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Abbeville Louisiana
Posts: 830
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Barry's 8 Track Repair Center...We do FM Conversions
you can send your original and have it converted

.
sampoerna415 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smiths Station, Alabama
Posts: 2,239
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

here goes: Have a '68 SS 396 el camino with working am radio just where the general put it.
Went to wal mart and bought a dual brand blue tooth radio with remote. it is installed in the top of my glove box. ($20)
wal mart for 6x9 pioneer 4 way speakers in the rear (built some nice boxes for the el co but should not be an issue for a car) ($69)
wal wart for 2 tweeters mounted just above the kick panels facing toward the passengers ($12)
sonic electronic for a repeater to mount to the radio - operates the radio remote control without opening the glove box door ($20)
sonic electronic for antennae splitter (so I can listen to the quality am radio occasionally) ($12)
radio has a plug in for flash drive that holds nearly my entire collection...
sounds great for the money...
Tricia likes this.
the heckler is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:05 AM
Tech Team
Harry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 259
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
I am ready to upgrade the radio/stereo in my 1970 SS 396, and I see that choices are fairly limited. I do not want to alter the dash. So far, I am considering Antique Audio, Classic Car Stereo, and RetroSound. Love the look of the Antique Audio, but it doesn't do as much as the others. So which unit do you like, and why? Thanks in advance!
I have been through 3 stereos in my Chevelle. By far and away, with no equal (not even close), the best unit has been the USA made Antique Automobile Radio in Palm Harbor, Florida. radiosforoldcars. It is expensive, and there is a wait time, but, it is fantastic ! I have the SS version for my SS396. The FM tuner is fantastic, the internal amp is fantastic, the blue tooth connection to my iphone is fantastic. Honestly, this is a great stereo that looks stock. Also, the face flips from FM to AM like the original stereo. It is also a little smaller than the original, so, you can fit another small amp back there for the rear speakers. I am also using the new portable fully enclosed JL Audio subwoofer in the trunk. It all works great with no cutting of my car.
Tricia likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
hjdca is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 10:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Chester, Pa
Posts: 1,510
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

I just wen through the same dilemma. I didn't want to cut my original dash. I ended up putting a new head unit in the trunk and use my phone to control the radio. I added an amp in the trunk mounted against the back seat and I could not be happier with how it turned out. Looks original and sounds great.
Tricia likes this.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
JChilders is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:59 AM
Tech Team
Jim
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 197
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

this is what I did. New speakers front and back to boot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio-pic-chevelle.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	596438  
RAMBO and Tricia like this.

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
Dkar26 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 1,479
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkar26 View Post
this is what I did. New speakers front and back to boot.
I used to have that set up as well, but then the head went bad, killing the battery overnight. I replaced it with a Retrosound unit that fits in the dash without cutting. It sounds great with an amp in the truck and four speakers -- I certainly do not miss having to constantly replace and remove the detachable face and having to lug it around with me.

I've had good luck with the Retrosound. If it goes bad, I'll probably just put the factory radio back in for cosmetics and install a head unit in the trunk and control it remotely.
658Chevy is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

That is in my top three. I found it on ebay last week. Looks like it's from the same guy you purchased from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevel...IAAOSwdnZaBKnZ

Do you like it, or do you LOVE it? Thanks so much!
Tricia is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heckler View Post
here goes: Have a '68 SS 396 el camino with working am radio just where the general put it.
Went to wal mart and bought a dual brand blue tooth radio with remote. it is installed in the top of my glove box. ($20)
wal mart for 6x9 pioneer 4 way speakers in the rear (built some nice boxes for the el co but should not be an issue for a car) ($69)
wal wart for 2 tweeters mounted just above the kick panels facing toward the passengers ($12)
sonic electronic for a repeater to mount to the radio - operates the radio remote control without opening the glove box door ($20)
sonic electronic for antennae splitter (so I can listen to the quality am radio occasionally) ($12)
radio has a plug in for flash drive that holds nearly my entire collection...
sounds great for the money...
Sounds interesting. A lot of good ideas at minimal expense! My problem right now is that my husband is down for the count and can't do any work on the car. I'll have to do this stuff myself. He broke the ball off his right hip and it couldn't be fixed. Had to have a complete new hip replacement. Been 2 1/2 weeks, and he will be down all summer, part of Fall. I have ordered new upgraded dash speakers, rear speakers, and now I must decide on what to do to the stereo itself. It's like going shopping for shoes. Don't give a gal too many choices or she will either never make up her mind or she will just buy them all!
Tricia is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
I have been through 3 stereos in my Chevelle. By far and away, with no equal (not even close), the best unit has been the USA made Antique Automobile Radio in Palm Harbor, Florida. radiosforoldcars. It is expensive, and there is a wait time, but, it is fantastic ! I have the SS version for my SS396. The FM tuner is fantastic, the internal amp is fantastic, the blue tooth connection to my iphone is fantastic. Honestly, this is a great stereo that looks stock. Also, the face flips from FM to AM like the original stereo. It is also a little smaller than the original, so, you can fit another small amp back there for the rear speakers. I am also using the new portable fully enclosed JL Audio subwoofer in the trunk. It all works great with no cutting of my car.
One of my top three! Did you get the 812201BT? That's what I'm looking at. I don't have an iPhone though. Works with Android, I assume. And can I hook at CD changer to it? I would like to hide one somewhere and I have a great 12 CD player left over from my days of driving a Caddy STS. Thanks so much!
Tricia is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 658Chevy View Post
I used to have that set up as well, but then the head went bad, killing the battery overnight. I replaced it with a Retrosound unit that fits in the dash without cutting. It sounds great with an amp in the truck and four speakers -- I certainly do not miss having to constantly replace and remove the detachable face and having to lug it around with me.

I've had good luck with the Retrosound. If it goes bad, I'll probably just put the factory radio back in for cosmetics and install a head unit in the trunk and control it remotely.
I agree with the thing about the detachable face plate. My son has one of those and I don't like it. I'm more into just the traditional "in the dash" with buttons and a tuner.
Tricia is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,917
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

I recently installed a Retrosound radio, JBL 6x9 rear speakers and pioneer 4" front speakers in my 68 Chevelle. I was looking for a decent radio for this year's power tour. The radio features am/fm and and an auxiliary port for MP3 etc. the radio works great and has great reception and power. I could hear it at 70mph with the windows down and the channel seek function worked great when I was looking for stations away from home.
Tricia likes this.
dell72 is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Jefferson County, WA
Posts: 1,921
Garage
Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Give my best to your husband. It is tough being down for months. I've had both hips replaced, not from injury but from the original joints simply being worn out. Good luck with your radio choices.
Tricia likes this.
Saltherring is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome