23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 3:41 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: Car Stereo - What Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
One of my top three! Did you get the 812201BT? That's what I'm looking at. I don't have an iPhone though. Works with Android, I assume. And can I hook at CD changer to it? I would like to hide one somewhere and I have a great 12 CD player left over from my days of driving a Caddy STS. Thanks so much!
Yes. It is a great unit. It is blue tooth, so, Android should work. The internal amp is also pretty good. Plenty strong for front speakers. I use a separate amp for the rear 6x9s and a JL Audio sealed powered subwoofer temporarily mounted in the trunk (removable) for lots of bass.

Part # 812201BT
$687.50
1970 Chevelle SS

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

After having bad luck with "retro" units, I had the housing custom made to match chevelle interior. It mounts under the dash in the middle and it actually looks like it belongs. Haven't installed it yet. This way I can keep the original in the dash and don't have to butcher anything to install a aftermarket stereo within reach. Second picture is the same housing with gauges instead of stereo, mounted in my Cutlass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54016040796__A5DD4DB0-F9EB-402E-8C12-0558AABFC844 copy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	596550   Click image for larger version

Name:	17277565103_fe721ce0ab_z.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	596552  
LeoP and Tricia like this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
After having bad luck with "retro" units, I had the housing custom made to match chevelle interior. It mounts under the dash in the middle and it actually looks like it belongs. Haven't installed it yet. This way I can keep the original in the dash and don't have to butcher anything to install a aftermarket stereo within reach. Second picture is the same housing with gauges instead of stereo, mounted in my Cutlass.
I like the housing. I'm trying to go back to a stock look in the dash with gauges. The previous owner has gauges mounted beneath the dash. I'm not a fan, but yours looks nice with the housing around it. I may not be able to talk my hubby into a complete rewire of the dash for OER gauges and clock. But, you can't blame a girl for trying! Thanks !!!

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 11:58 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

I've had a RetroSound unit in my 66 for a few years now and I love it. I bought it for the Bluetooth to make it convenient to listen to music through my phone. Obviously the digital display doesn't exactly look original, but most people don't even notice it unless they're in the car as a passenger. And it's actually funny to hear the reactions when I say my 66 has Bluetooth
Tricia likes this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 11:49 AM
Team Member
Curtis

Garage

In the glove box. Used a TMC Customs bracket for perfect fit.

https://www.tmccustoms.com/page2
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 1:12 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

No radio for my 66. I use my cell phone and a Bluetooth speaker. I can stream anything I want to listen too.
No cutting the dash. No antenatal. No speakers cut in anything.
Pulled the stereo from my boat too.
boyd66k20 likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

I had an old Rockford Fosgate amp sitting in my garage that I had not used for years. Tested it out, worked perfect. Wired it up in the trunk, and used one of these guys:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136911...gaAosREALw_wcB

I control it all from my phone, with nothing mounted up front or in the glove box.
jeff swisher likes this.

Never stop learning!
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 8:44 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Tricia--How did the radio install go?

Tricia:

How goes the radio install? I have a 1970 Chevelle SS396. I have been contemplating a new radio install such as a stock looking radio with Bluetooth technology Just like what you are doing. Speakers... I just want to listen to music clearly at 70 mph with the windows down that will not be over powered by the engine. So I am looking at a new head unit that looks stock, 6x9 speakers that fit under stock rear speaker grills. I'd like smaller tweeters behind the dash somewhere, possibly a small amp if I need one?

Robert Gross
Groveland FL

Robert Gross
1970 Chevelle SS396
Groveland, FL
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I put an input jack into my stock Delco AM radio. I ran the speaker lead to a small amp and have a 8" wolfer and a 6x9 five way for mid range.. I use a Ipod to feed the radio music.. It sounds real nice... My view is these cars are so noisy no sense getting to involved with stereos in them..
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

I have a Retro Sound unit in my Chevelle and I absolutely hate it! That piece of s**t sounds like if music comes out of a can and worse, the menu is next to impossible to understand. When using the usb drive, there is no way I can select a specific tune I want and it only plays the same tunes over and won't play all the other ones stored on the usb drive. I definitely don't recommend that piece of junk to anyone.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 12:53 PM
Tech Team

I have been perfectly happy with my Retrosound radio. I think it sounds just fine and I don't even have good speakers. I also play all of my music off of a thumb drive, and no, you can't search out an individual song, but I have a Sony unit in my truck and a Panasonic bookshelf stereo in my shop and you can't do that with THEM either. I can't speak for your stereo, but mine will either play every song alphabetically or you can set it shuffle play. Like every other music device I have ever owned that had shuffle going back to my first home 5 disc CD changer in 1990 on to my current MP3 players, on shuffle they seem to play some songs four times before playing some songs once. I guess the programmers aren't smart enough to know how to prevent that.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 1:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I went with a Retrosound. I really like it, and it sounds great, but it does take a little bit to learn the controls. This is my setup. I put a pair of Rockford Fosgate 4" round speakers in the center front dash location, 3/4" JBL tweeters on the dash behind the A pillars and Pioneer 6x9s under the rear deck. I have a 4 channel amp and a compact sub in the trunk. The amp drives all the speakers, with two channels for the front going into a pair of crossovers, then split to the 4" and 3/4" speakers to maintain impedance, and the other two channels to the rear deck speakers. I used the speaker level inputs on the sub right from the rear speakers. The rears are mounted under the package tray(perforated) and the only thing you can see if you go looking, is the tweeters which blend in, and the small mic for the hands free phone connection. It sounds great, but blends in and is mostly invisible. I also extended the USB input to a socket hidden in the center console so I can plug in my phone or a jump drive full of music.
davewho1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 2:11 PM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage
Re: Tricia--How did the radio install go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw144 View Post
Tricia:

How goes the radio install? I have a 1970 Chevelle SS396. I have been contemplating a new radio install such as a stock looking radio with Bluetooth technology Just like what you are doing. Speakers... I just want to listen to music clearly at 70 mph with the windows down that will not be over powered by the engine. So I am looking at a new head unit that looks stock, 6x9 speakers that fit under stock rear speaker grills. I'd like smaller tweeters behind the dash somewhere, possibly a small amp if I need one?

Robert Gross
Groveland FL
This is what I would like to do also. the 2 6 x 9's don't cut it over the loud exhaust, but I don't listen to the radio too much anyway.
1775SS likes this.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 2:34 PM
Tech Team
GSR

Glove box radio, that's old school, we used to do that back in the '70s. A lot of people would buy an expensive stereo and cut the dash, only to have someone come along and rip it out. It was out of sight, and if it did get stolen, a lot less unsightly damage.
shovelrick likes this.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 3:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

You can do it - not real hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in