150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 10:57 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Ground Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Ahhh "lifting aides"....do you mean the male equivalent of a push up bra?
I was more thinking of Viagara. Hey 27 yrs of marriage to a Catholic girl, what the heck do I need that for!? So I buy tools instead.

Anyway, "bashing" or not, it's important for Kenny to know how his crew is doing. Or not doing. Most good businesses ask their customers for feedback after the sale for a reason.
spaceace77084 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
I say this in all seriousness, but they are Yankees and the manners and demeanor of SOME Yankees is very off-putting to SOME Southerners. I have bought from them many times, and once I got past the shock of the Yankee rudeness, I've been happy with them. They have a lot of stuff that no one else has.
NY attitude has nothing to do with this. I think that's a misconception by most people. I am NYC born & bred & there's a big difference between a NY attitude & a bad attitude. NYers are direct & sometimes that can be misconstrued as rude. The people at GU are just plain rude & the BAD attitude starts from the top.

When they were still on Long Island, they were a 15 minute drive from my house in Queens. They started up as Pristine Motors & did mail order only. In '95 or '96, I was probably one of their first customers when they decided to open up a store front for walk in business. lt was immediately obvious that the owner had no time for his customers. Even after going there a couple of times a month his attitude never changed. Never asked me my name or showed any interest in what I was working on. It wasn't like he had a line out the door at that point either.

Remember this was back before the web had really taken off, so if you needed a part quickly, your options were pretty limited. I continued to use them out of sheer convenience. A year or two later when they began to sponsor Team Chevelle & Team Camaro, you want to talk about someone's ego inflating & them really having ZERO time for their customers. Even with the discount they offered TC members, it wasn't worth driving out there to deal with that guy. I began making it a point to start planning way ahead when ordering parts.

For someone who sponsored both sites, can anyone who's been around TC since the early days recall any interaction they had with the members here? It was obvious they didn't care at all, in person or online.
von, BillsCamino, davewho1 and 1 others like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:15 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I remember LOTS of complaints over the years. Quality, shipping costs, lack of applied "discount"...
Those posts disappeared quickly due to GU site sponsorship at the time.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

I've stated my concerns previpusly. Shipping: Their packaging folks are not happy campers. I got poorly packaged items (too large of boxes for what's in them [I don't like to pay to ship bags filled with air], 150 staples to close up a box when 10 would do [someone in shipping is taking out their frustrations on these poor innocent boxes]). Shipping costs seen inflated. When I order a decal I don't want it shipped via UPS in a box, I want it mailed at a reasonable USPS rate in an envelope. Backorders: If I order a piece that's not in stock the transaction seems to subsequently fall through the cracks -- I have to call them and ask about the order 3 weeks later (and then I get the old "that just came in, we'll ship it today" line from the CSR).

I'm guessing I wouldn't want to work there. The sh!t usually starts at the top and rolls down hill. MANAGEMENT!

Our You Tube Vids:

post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
NY attitude has nothing to do with this. I think that's a misconception by most people. I am NYC born & bred & there's a big difference between a NY attitude & a bad attitude. NYers are direct & sometimes that can be misconstrued as rude. The people at GU are just plain rude & the BAD attitude starts from the top.
Could be a JERSEY attitude.

My Wife won't even let me talk on the phone in my business.

Anybody gotta problem?
Pete 67 and BlueSS454 like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
ONE instance of rudeness from a customer 'service' representative is enough for me to take my bidness elsewhere.

OPGI has (or HAD - haven't gotten one in a few years) a beautiful catalog, but their stuff is WAY overpriced.

NPD is great; they care about their customers, and conduct themselves with common courtesy - something that seems to be in short supply nowadays.

I will order from NPD when I start ordering parts again.

I have used MANY different companies over the years, and had some poor experiences with pretty much all of them at one time or another, even places like Hinshaws... But the past few years I have been using NPD, and I can't really recall any complaints... Well, aside from some "telephone order takers" that don't know/couldn't find or wouldn't find info on some parts...

For me, first place I try is Summit, usually great prices, and I try for the $99+ = free shipping... second is NPD. I will still use GU and OPGI if its something I can't find elsewhere...

If I order "freight" stuff (like window glass or floor pan pieces), and I am not in a hurry, I will buy at their California location, because my in-laws live about 20 miles away, and we usually drive down once or twice a year...

OPGI was okay CS, but I used to have a lot of issues with back-ordered parts, not to mention the typically higher prices...

GU, bought quite a bit before I "found" NPD, but but since they are in New York, the shipping times are long. Even if I don't need it quickly, I am still like a kid on Christmas eve, I just can't wait for it to arrive...

The final straw for me with GU, was when they stopped the Team Chevelle" member discount (shortly after, I discovered NPD)... Not a huge deal, but its always nice to get a discount...

Does ANYONE use Year One? I never hear about them on this forum... Just curious, because I think they a way overpriced, and I quit using them for that reason. I recently checked, and still seem very expensive compared to anybody else...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I've had nothing but good experiences with GU, maybe my purchases were off days...

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 1:36 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Just to follow up on my earlier comments. I actually thought maybe I read the situation/person/experience wrong. So, I had my brother reach out on another purchase as: 1) he is the mechanic currently doing a lot of work on my car; and, 2) he is a parts and service manager at a large motorcycle dealership. Well, he made one or two calls and said that if ANY of his people treated customers like he was treated, he would fire them on the spot. I was validated, but was really hoping that he experienced something different. Sad, because they often have parts I would buy in a heartbeat if it weren't for their rudeness (also, don't even get me started on wait times for some of the stuff I ordered previously).
von and Not2Fast like this.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 3:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Could be a JERSEY attitude.

My Wife won't even let me talk on the phone in my business.

Anybody gotta problem?
"WhatsamattaYOU" with the being rude on the phone? Maybe you would be allowed to talk again on the phone if you took a vacation "downtheshore" for a couple of weeks and chilled out.
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 3:50 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
I agree that GU customer service has gone down hill. I received a new carpet and the drivers foot pad was installed in the wrong location. Told me to contact vendor. Needless to say, I ate the cost
Not car part related, but i bought a really expensive dehumidifier online, got shipped super quick, then found out it didnt work. Thats exactly what the people i bought it from told me to do. "contact the vendor." WTF....i bought this from YOU. YOU should send me a new one. Needless to say, both the retailer and vendor got a piece of my Yankee charm. One month later, i had a replacement. Lesson learned.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 3:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
"WhatsamattaYOU" with the being rude on the phone? Maybe you would be allowed to talk again on the phone if you took a vacation "downtheshore" for a couple of weeks and chilled out.
I moved downdashore to Florida.

Didn't help.
Molly's 70 likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
Hopefully someone from GU will read this post,not that it will change their minds,but they'll be able to see what poor management leads to. I'd bet when they have any issues getting parts from their overseas providers they don't put up with poor service. NPD RULES in my book.
Everyone at Ground Up did read this post.

As of this morning I was speaking to Ilene or Irene and she offered to clear up my situation by offering me free shipping AND a 5% discount on my total order.....

Then they read this post and she called me back within the hour and said "we will no longer be doing business with you because of the social media remarks you made about us"..... I was floored! I can understand them being upset BUT it would be in their best interest to make the customer happy.. A customer that was willing to spend $1,000 but they chose to take the 7th grade payback style approach.... I wonder if the owner knows about this... I will make it my life's mission to find out who he is and let him know what his general manager did and how they handled it...

I will also post on every social media group I'm a member of and tell them to steer clear of Ground Up... I'll also post it on my YouTube channel.....
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Amazing.....

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:29 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

1966_L78, davewho1, Don B and 1 others like this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD

post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I guess Ilene or Irene just taught you a lesson. What a b!tch.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in