6Likes
  • 1 Post By 69SHEVL
  • 2 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 2 Post By jeffschevelle
  • 1 Post By jeffschevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

'67 Chevelle 396SS Carpet Color

I am restoring my Marina Blue '67 Chevelle 396SS interior. The color code is 731 (Bright Blue). I have the correct seats, door panels, etc but am unsure of the carpet color. My options are Blue, Medium Blue or Bright Blue. https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...nt=8&year=1967
Which is correct? I do not have the Build Sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 3:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

Re: '67 Chevelle 396SS Carpet Color

Did mine in same hue many years ago. I chose the bright blue after receiving a sample. In hindsight - it is really light, shows stains terribly and has not aged well. Might try the medium instead.. just my .02... carpet was quality acc brand..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIE54 View Post
I am restoring my Marina Blue '67 Chevelle 396SS interior. The color code is 731 (Bright Blue). I have the correct seats, door panels, etc but am unsure of the carpet color. My options are Blue, Medium Blue or Bright Blue. https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...nt=8&year=1967
Which is correct? I do not have the Build Sheet.
Ask for samples/swatches...

I ordered swatches for mine, and they actually included a piece of paper stating "WARNING: "Medium Blue" is actually Brighter than "Bright Blue", and it was true... But that based on what the manufacturer wants to call their colors...

I don't think Chevrolet had a name for the carpet color, just that a particular shade went with the "731" interior...

IIRC, I used Trim parts carpet, and the color was "422"? But ACC bought out Trim Parts' carpet division...

I used this color for two different cars (66 and 70), but I wasn't looking for factory correct, I just wanted something to go with the other interior pieces. .And it matched the Interior Paint for the Bright Blue interior (spray cans I bought from NPD, etc) and dash pad, package shelf vinyl.

ACC "09 Medium Blue" looks the closest (from the internet pictures)...

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/196...Flooring/2436/

09 Medium Blue

17 Bright Blue

Looking at "all available colors", they show "17 Bright Blue"... But it does look darker than the "Medium Blue"...
https://www.accmats.com/commerce/196...Flooring/2434/

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I am following this because I have the same color interior and I always wanted a nice set of mats that match my carpet.
I would like matching loop carpet mats, not those rubbery ones.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 7:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

To be sure, try contacting Auto Custom Carpets in Alabamy.

https://www.accmats.com/

These guys are old school factory correct carpet suppliers, and will be happy to assist.

They will verify for you, and are a pleasure to deal with.

If there is a choice to be made, go with the darker color carpet.

It makes the color of the seats and door panels appear brighter.
the heckler likes this.

Mike

My 69 Chevelle Convertible

AACA Senior Grand National Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist
Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts 2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award
NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest 6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class
MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award" 2015 OPGI Original Restored Award
MCACN Gold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 7:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

This is my interior, (maybe 15 years ago when the seat was just re covered)
the heckler and 69SHEVL like this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 9:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Another example of the "blue confusion" all the vendors have with 67's!!

The original carpet for the "Bright blue" (Marina Blue) interior should be just about the same color as your door panels and seats, but just a little bit darker. The original carpet for the "medium blue" (Nantucket Blue) interior is actually much darker than the rest of the interior, and darker than the bright blue interior carpet. That is what is shown in Ed's picture above. And even that's a little faded -- when new the "medium blue" carpet was even darker.

Call James Hinshaw and order from him, because he has figured all this out pretty good and can actually get you the correct colors, even if that involves ordering a Buick or Pontiac color from ACC Carpets. The carpet he got me for my "medium blue" interior in the L78 Elcamino was a dead on perfect match to an original swatch taken from under a door sill plate in a low-mileage 4-door 67.

Good luck!
LeoP and Pioneer4x4 like this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (Survivor Z16 Picture album)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 6:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Another example of the "blue confusion" all the vendors have with 67's!!

The original carpet for the "Bright blue" (Marina Blue) interior should be just about the same color as your door panels and seats, but just a little bit darker. The original carpet for the "medium blue" (Nantucket Blue) interior is actually much darker than the rest of the interior, and darker than the bright blue interior carpet. That is what is shown in Ed's picture above. And even that's a little faded -- when new the "medium blue" carpet was even darker.

Call James Hinshaw and order from him, because he has figured all this out pretty good and can actually get you the correct colors, even if that involves ordering a Buick or Pontiac color from ACC Carpets. The carpet he got me for my "medium blue" interior in the L78 Elcamino was a dead on perfect match to an original swatch taken from under a door sill plate in a low-mileage 4-door 67.

Good luck!

Jeff, there is a lot of blue confusion. Can you post a picture of your El camino interior so we can see what the correct color looks like, and the dash pad also.

Thanks for your help
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 8:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Another example of the "blue confusion" all the vendors have with 67's!!...
And some of us owners! I know you and some others have helped me with the interior questions I have asked. I think there is 5 different shades of blue in my interior, all from the factory.

Quote:
FWIW, I have a 729 interior code, and yeah, that isn't a great picture of my carpet, that is glare and shadow with Las Vegas sun. I have thought about replacing it, it is shrunk a bit and needs a good cleaning. I may remove it and go over it and see how well it cleans up. Also, the armrests were off, the shop that made the cover for the seat made new pads from the seat vinyl, also, the steering column isn't original, that is something 1970s (Buick maybe) that we modified and removed ignition/lock components, and painted.
But, BOTH Bright and Medium blue options were available in 1967, correct, and the only difference is the carpet, and the plastic kick panels? The rest of the interior is the same between the 2 blues? Obviously my seat cover is not original, it was all vinyl.

Quote:
Call James Hinshaw and order from him, because he has figured all this out pretty good and can actually get you the correct colors,...
They irked me one day out at Carlisle when I asked about replacement blue window cranks and basically told me they didn't exist since they didn't sell them. Mine are nice and intact, but drivers side is getting loose, and I wanted a backup pair to use.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 7:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
But, BOTH Bright and Medium blue options were available in 1967, correct, and the only difference is the carpet, and the plastic kick panels? The rest of the interior is the same between the 2 blues? Obviously my seat cover is not original, it was all vinyl.
Yes, both were available. But no, there actually is not one single blue piece inside a 67 bright blue interior that is the same color as the corresponding part in a 67 medium blue interior. The seat covers, door panels, windlace, window cranks, carpet, seat belts, kick panels, dash pad, package tray, and headliner, are all different. And the primary interior metal paint color is different too (bright blue is a variant of Marina Blue, medium blue is a variant of Nantucket Blue). And the darker 0-gloss paint on the top of the dash is also different (bright blue just has a darker variant of Marina Blue, while medium blue has a totally different hue of blue which, like the carpet, is a whole lot darker than everything else).

I count at least 9 different colors of blue on the various pieces in my medium blue Elcamino interior!! By contrast, a bright blue interior is pretty much all one color, except the carpet, dash top and dash pad being a little darker.

Bob - I am still getting the inside put together. Had a holdup on the heater core -- we lost it!! I didn't want to put the carpet and seat in until that is done. But we found it earlier this week so hopefully can get it all done in the next couple weeks. Will try to remember to get a pic posted in this thread.
bobm67 likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (Survivor Z16 Picture album)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Yes, both were available. But no, there actually is not one single blue piece inside a 67 bright blue interior that is the same color as the corresponding part in a 67 medium blue interior. The seat covers, door panels, windlace, window cranks, carpet, seat belts, kick panels, dash pad, package tray, and headliner, are all different. And the primary interior metal paint color is different too (bright blue is a variant of Marina Blue, medium blue is a variant of Nantucket Blue). And the darker 0-gloss paint on the top of the dash is also different (bright blue just has a darker variant of Marina Blue, while medium blue has a totally different hue of blue which, like the carpet, is a whole lot darker than everything else).

I count at least 9 different colors of blue on the various pieces in my medium blue Elcamino interior!! By contrast, a bright blue interior is pretty much all one color, except the carpet, dash top and dash pad being a little darker.

Bob - I am still getting the inside put together. Had a holdup on the heater core -- we lost it!! I didn't want to put the carpet and seat in until that is done. But we found it earlier this week so hopefully can get it all done in the next couple weeks. Will try to remember to get a pic posted in this thread.
Thank you!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 1:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Allie, Come by my shop, I have all of the ACC carpet samples I can show you.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in