Please try and post in specific forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 1:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Oil change frequency?

My car is a 67 Chevelle with a ZZ4 350 crate engine, FiTech fuel injection. I've owned it for 2 years at the end of July. I changed the oil/filter last June, Mobil 1 10W-30. It's been driven about 1500 miles since the oil change. What's the consensus for oil change frequency? Annually, or should I go longer since its synthetic oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 2:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Oil change frequency?

I do it once a year, my ZZ4 gets about 1500-2000 miles a year. I switched to 10-40 though. It never really had great oil pressure at hot idle before the switch, now it's much better.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 3:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

My oil pressure ranges from 40 to 80 psi depending on engine temp and rpm with 10W-30.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I change oil once a year, in the fall right before I put it away for the winter. That way it hibernates with fresh oil.

I use 5-30 Mobil 1 no additives and a Wix filter...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Oil is a lot cheaper than an engine. I would start your engine let it warm up and then change the oil and filter. With low mile driving, I'd change it once a year in the spring.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 9:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I change oil once a year, in the fall right before I put it away for the winter. That way it hibernates with fresh oil.

I use 5-30 Mobil 1 no additives and a Wix filter...
And collects moisture, your oil is not fresh in the spring.
Dan Orgill, Kirk's67SS and p40 like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
My car is a 67 Chevelle with a ZZ4 350 crate engine, FiTech fuel injection. I've owned it for 2 years at the end of July. I changed the oil/filter last June, Mobil 1 10W-30. It's been driven about 1500 miles since the oil change. What's the consensus for oil change frequency? Annually, or should I go longer since its synthetic oil?
Synthetic lasts a long time. Just change the filter and top it off once a year.

Then change it every 4-5 years.

I'm assuming you drive it less than 3000 miles a year. The filter changes will keep in clean; that's #1.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 11:38 AM
Ralph

Garage

Quote:
I change the oil in anything that sleeps for the winter (or summer) before storing it and then again when waking it up.. So.. twice a year.. Its cheap insurance... and I've never found the need for synthetic oil... I don't leave it in long enough...not even in my daily drivers....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

>>Then change it every 4-5 years.<<

No offense, but I would never leave synthetic or conventional in my Chevelle or daily driver for 5 years. As stated earlier...it's cheap insurance. Plus, it's good to review what's in the oil to ensure nothings getting chewed up ...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Change the Oil & Filter every Spring as it sits all Winter(6 months) sleeping in - 40* Below Zero Freezing Temps

Brad Penn # 71586... 15W40 and a NAPA Filter # NGF 1060 for my BBC

In the Spring also take out/empty the Rad of the -40* Below Zero Winter Coolant and ADD back in Water of the same amount
to mix in with the Winter Coolant in the Engine Block which brings the Coolant to a -15* to 20* (50/50 Mix) Rating so the Water Pump gets some Lubing
then start the car and let it run for 5 to 10 Minutes at 180* to ensure it is well mixed up

In the late Fall I take out/empty the Rad of the -15* Below Zero Summer Coolant and ADD back in Concentrated/Straight Anti Freeze of the same amount
to mix in with the Summer Coolant in the Engine Block which brings the Coolant to a -40* Rating so the Water Pump gets some Lubing
then start the car and let it run for 5 to 10 Minutes at 180* to ensure it is well mixed up

Every 3 years I replace all of the Old Coolant by Flushing out the Engine with Water and then start Mixing in Straight Antifreeze until I get the -15* or -40* desired Rating .

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 1:00 PM
Gold Member
Gene

One a year is fine and we don't need synthetics at that rate. ( I run the semi-Synth Penn Grade only due to heavy valve springs ).

Once exposed to air and circulated, oil will continue to degenerate, so leaving it a crankcase for long periods of time isnt kosher. Ask any REAL chemical engineer.

Ralph, if you drop the oil in the fall, when putting the car up, why bother refilling at all, wait until spring? Or do what I do, drop it in the spring, so there is no priming issue.

PS, I dont even let my GEAR OIL last for 4-5 years kids. Nor the brake fluid.

Greg, as I used to run oem alum heads ( 074s) , I always kept RED coolant in the mix for its anti-oxidation qualities. It never went to 100% water. But then again, I dont store it at -40!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
One a year is fine and we don't need synthetics at that rate. ( I run the semi-Synth Penn Grade only due to heavy valve springs ).

Once exposed to air and circulated, oil will continue to degenerate, so leaving it a crankcase for long periods of time isnt kosher. Ask any REAL chemical engineer.

Ralph, if you drop the oil in the fall, when putting the car up, why bother refilling at all, wait until spring? Or do what I do, drop it in the spring, so there is no priming issue.

Greg, as I used to run oem alum heads ( 074s) , I always kept RED coolant in the mix for its anti-oxidation qualities. It never went to 100% water. But then again, I dont store it at -40!
Gene I have never run 100% Water either always -15* / 50/50 percent in Summer
I have been in Buffalo in a Winter Storm there with my Kids Hockey Team and it sure felt like -40* Below Zero

In the 80s the Pros ran straight water at the Track
and then would dump the Hot Water after every Run and refill with cold water

One guy who had a 55 Chev had House Plumbing Fixtures to Drain and Fill his Rad with
427L88 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 2:08 PM
Ralph

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post

Hey Gene...

I'd rather store it with clean oil. I change it in the Fall, make sure its circulated and then park it. It works for me, but I appreciate your suggestion...

Thanks
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 2:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Since this an enthusiast/owner forum, you're not likely to see a "consensus". Here's my opinion: Mobil, Super-Tech, Ferrari, Yugo, etc. etc...brand and synthetic or not; not important factors as long as the oil is quality oil, and not some cheap non-detergent oil off-the-shelf from a dollar store. What's the worry about leaving the oil in the engine too long? "Dirt" (sludge)? Acid attacking engine components? Alkalis attacking? components of the oil separating or evaporating? etc etc.

What kind of service does the engine see during the operating times? Highway in warm weather, or multiple cold stars/short trips in winter in cold climate? Will you short term store it over winter? Lots of factors to consider. One year and 1,500 miles?
Say 750 miles every six months. Lots of 2-3 miles short trips? etc.? Or, maybe two or three highway round trips?

If its the short trips, I'd follow the general recommendation I've seen for "severe service: Six months or 3,000 miles. Highway trips use: One year or 5,000 miles. Before storage: thoroughly warmed engine, change filter and oil, run the engine for a minute or so with the fresh oil, Put it to bed, and don't mess with it until its time to un-store it.

My $0.02

Check this... http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literat...9;s/94-1R1.pdf
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 2:51 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
Hey Gene...

I'd rather store it with clean oil. I change it in the Fall, make sure its circulated and then park it. It works for me, but I appreciate your suggestion...

Thanks
Ralph, I've done it both ways. It may depend on how its stored. But, I gather you are storing it with a crankcase of fresh oil, and then swapping it out? That's the part I dont get.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in