LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Restoration list needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoach View Post
... It is a true 138, but I am more wanting to restore it to drive and enjoy, maybe pass on to my son. I know it is a long road, and hopefully I will be able to make it to the end...
So, you want a car to drive and enjoy, but not necessarily a show-winning, concours restoration?

Look around at the local car shows and cruise nights, look for cars with "nice" paint. Something that would be acceptable to you (we don't all need to be perfect, as its going to get chips, etc by really driving it, IMO)... Then ask those owners who did the paint, etc...

My last Chevelle was a nice driver... Looked at home in any cruise night or even larger, non-judged shows... Always had lots of complements but I am sure the "body and paint" guys scoffed at it... It all depends on what YOU want and are willing to spend. I pulled all the trim and bumpers off mine, and $2600 later I had nice paint (2009-2010). It was a production shop (One-Day, bought out by Maaco), but I was more than satisfied with the quality, the price, and the time (only 5 weeks in the body shop). Mine was solid and fairly straight to begin with. I bought some repro bumpers, trim and new weatherstripping, and installed all that myself.

Same goes for engine/drivetrain/suspension/interior... Find some locals that have had work done, and then figure what YOU need to be happy...

If you are just cruising even with some spirited driving, then add some disc brakes to the front (IMO). Rear discs aren't usually necessary in most cases, but may be something for aesthetics (same goes for brake size), depending on your wheel choice. Fancy suspension pieces, it all depends on how YOU plan on driving it... Rebuild with rubber bushings, new steering linkage and shocks will still perform fine, but autocross or really attacking the twisty roads may call for upgraded pieces. Interior, lots of brands to choose. Each have their pluses and minuses, but in general, most will do a satisfactory job. Electrical; do you need a new system, or simply refreshing a few areas and maybe a few upgrades as needed (I like relays for the headlights).

I personally do almost everything on my car (I have painted cars in the past, but no time of place for that now). Its not perfect, but I like the pride in knowing that I did it myself. On the flip side, it may not be perfect, and it can take a LONG time... Years, to complete...

How old is your son? Old enough to start helping work on the car?

Life is too short to have a project car sitting for years... get out and get it driveable and enjoy it...

A full resto will take a long time. Are you willing to wait? Or would you want to drive it with unfinished paint, or conversly with fresh, shiny paint but a tired old engine, etc... Thats up to you. If you want to drive it, and restore as you go, then I'd focus on safety items (brakes, steering tires and electrical)

As for a list, each car/project differs... I like the idea of getting several catalogs from different suppliers. I will sit for hours making my own list of what I think my car needs. I used to make a spreadsheet with the prices from the different suppliers (including tax and shipping, etc). Some stores offer stuff that others do not carry, etc...

Over the years, I have reduced my catalogs to a few companies that I know I trust (good customer service, etc)... And there are some companies that I rarely use, because I know their prices are consistantly higher... Don't forget to check places like Summit and Rock Auto, as they carry many parts usually at lower prices...
oman and SEJ66 like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in