Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Roger

Ever have buyer's remorse?

I picked up a 66 SS and thought it would be a good project for me and my daughter. Knowing our limits, I decided to have the floor plans replaced by a shop. They are a reputable builder and told me they would bring things to my attention before performing work. To make a long story short, floor pans has turned into - Both rear quarters, rear seat braces, package tray, rear pan rust damage on hood... What I started as a 5-6k project has now evolved into a 20k project just on the body...

He is still 9k away from finishing and I feel like just throwing in the towel. It is not a numbers matching car although it is a 138 car. I thought I did a decent job going through the car prior to purchasing, but either my eyes suck, or people are getting good at hiding shotty work.

How do you make a decision to just say forget it - absorb the loss and try a different car. Or is it once you start, just bite the bullet and do it. After all is said and done, I will probably be 60K into a 30k car. Sure it will be completed right but where is the line that you just say stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Ever have buyer's remorse?

I have a lot more than that in my car and I have not even touched the Body Metal yet
just the Engine / Trans / Rearend / Rad / Brakes / Suspension / Gas Tank & Lines ....

The floor pans all looked good when I bought it, so nothing to do there I hope

However the Body/Paint is showing it's age IMHO and that will be what I have to address soon
hopefully the Quarters etc. are not filled with Mud and it will just be a Sanding down to Metal
and then to Primer maybe to Paint or a Wrap
the Paint will be in the $ 10,000 range and the Wrap about $ 6,000

With what you will have in the car after the Metal work
I think you should stick with it as you will not be able to recoup the Metal Repair costs

In for a penny in for a pound

If you wanted just a fast sports car you would have bought a newer type one say a New Camaro
but as we all know you/we want something from the past with style that we remember and still excites us

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/Dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720
1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
NEW Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Enrichment View Post
I picked up a 66 SS and thought it would be a good project for me and my daughter. Knowing our limits, I decided to have the floor plans replaced by a shop. They are a reputable builder and told me they would bring things to my attention before performing work. To make a long story short, floor pans has turned into - Both rear quarters, rear seat braces, package tray, rear pan rust damage on hood... What I started as a 5-6k project has now evolved into a 20k project just on the body...

He is still 9k away from finishing and I feel like just throwing in the towel. It is not a numbers matching car although it is a 138 car. I thought I did a decent job going through the car prior to purchasing, but either my eyes suck, or people are getting good at hiding shotty work.

How do you make a decision to just say forget it - absorb the loss and try a different car. Or is it once you start, just bite the bullet and do it. After all is said and done, I will probably be 60K into a 30k car. Sure it will be completed right but where is the line that you just say stop?
My full restoration started as replacing the body mount bushings.

I wish I had bought another convertible that was restorable and used this one for parts. But, by the time I fully realized that, I was already passed the halfway point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

Automotive Archaeology

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:47 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I took a car to a reputable shop. I knew what the scope of work was and what their hourly rate was. They would not be accountable for any estimate. I was told they would work as long as I kept paying. That should have been an omen.

After 3 weeks worth of work, the money spent was just ridiculous. They were not getting results consistent with the expense. I could not have imagined paying what I did for what little work was done. I guess there are too many people willing to stay the course.

I pulled the car. Found another shop that did the work in one week for 1/3 the money already spent.
Steve R and Pioneer4x4 like this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Roger, tearing into a 50 year old car is gonna be full of unpleasant surprises. You're into yours for a bunch of money, that if you sell it in its' present state, you'll take a bath on it. At some point you've got to decide if this is a labor of love or is it strictly a cost issue. I've been 'restoring' a 67 for the last 8 years with no end in sight. I do it because I want to. I lost track of how much I've spent and I don't care. I throw away my receipts (so wifey won't find them). I'll never sell the car, so not worried about being upside down in it. My daughter will inherit the car when I'm gone, and she can do with it whatever she wants.
davewho1, shovelrick and Jays-68 like this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Does $20K cover a finished paint job?
Or is it $29K for a finished paint job?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:47 PM
Team Member
Tom

I do not even want to think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It just gets worse, it never gets better.

I'm convinced that the only solution is to learn how, and then proceed to do it yourself. And I have.
I have more than doubled the price in repairs/upgrades over what I paid for our 70 conv.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, I'm very happy with it now!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 1:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
This includes nothing on the paint. This is strictly sheet metal work.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 1:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
To clarify - I will be in the body a total of 20... After all is said and done not including paint/molding, and you name it... Just sheet metal work.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

If you sell now I'd guess your going to take a loss, or finish it knowing you'll have more into it than it's worth, like said if it's not a labor of love sell it, I have about $35K + ? in a 68 Malibu that's nothing special except to our family now, I'm probably over $20K in body & paint

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Just like anything, you sub work out , you pay. You have to be able to do a lot of things yourself if you want the costs low as possible. With all the money you spent, you could of had the tools and parts to do it yourself. It takes time and patience to learn, but what are the choices if moneys a concern? Those labor rates are killers in any trade. Especially body work. Good luck with everything.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I have to say on one of my 69 Camaros which was a True SS car but not matching numbers I had about $9k into the car. It was OK but it still needed a lot of work. I could see it was going to turn into more of a money pit and sold it for about a third of what I had into it and went out and bought another 69 Base Camaro that was much nicer than mine and already was done over with a lot of the things I had added to my car for $8k. I learned from that first Camaro to never buy a car that needs body and paint work because that's where a lot of money goes when you own these cars.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

If for nothing more than having a nice 138 66 Chevelle, I would finish what you have started and get it running so you can at least enjoy it. I had plans to have my Chevelle gone through until I got the reality check, and found out what it would cost. Now all its getting is what I already spent,and a little more here and there.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 2:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Enrichment View Post
To clarify - I will be in the body a total of 20... After all is said and done not including paint/molding, and you name it... Just sheet metal work.
I think I'd pull the car from that shop. Sure he's reputable, but what do you think the paint is going to cost? 10k extra? Have they estimated the paint cost in writing?
Did you tell him you wanted a driver or a show-stopper? Stop the bleeding until you figure out where you are going with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
LKN BCK and davewho1 like this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 4:34 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Here is an idea. Stick it out with the metal work. Then seeing as how this is a Father/Daughter project, one or both acquire the skills to paint the car yourself. Around here night classes can be taken at the local Vo tech to learn bodywork and paint and they are very reasonable. Or I Know McPherson college in Kansas offers a one or two week class during the summer to learn painting.
A fair estimate on paint at a resto shop is $15k. More if frame, engine bay, etc is painted. You could do for a couple $k yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in