Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Ever have buyer's remorse?

I thought I was the only one that can turn a fan belt change into a body off resto...

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Have you been monitoring the work the shop has doing? It sounds like you arent too sure of exactly how bad the body is and you are basing it off of what the shop says.

What I learned after my Chevelle was in paint jail is that usually the body man will give you a lowball estimate on the work. And then once they get into it there is either more work than initially thought, or they FIND work to do. The more work they find the more money they can get out of you. I was too naive at the time to pick up on this tactic as I was only 22, but in retrospect its clear as day.

You also need to have an idea of how nice of a Chevelle you want or need? Chevelles dont have to be perfect in order to be nice. Some people are perfectly fine with a flat black paintjob thats a little rough around the edges and some people want a 110% frame off every nut and bolt new.

Call the shop and tell them to stop working on it while you figure out a game plan. $20k for a car that you looked over that seemed to be in decent condition is pure insanity to me. My Chevelle was a massive pile of crap with more waves and gaps than the Pacific Ocean and I paid roughly $13,000 for paint and body back in 2010.

Pictures would help too.

Mike Smith
72 Chevelle, LS 6.0 LQ9 4l80e
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Enrichment View Post
I picked up a 66 SS and thought it would be a good project for me and my daughter. Knowing our limits, I decided to have the floor plans replaced by a shop. They are a reputable builder and told me they would bring things to my attention before performing work. To make a long story short, floor pans has turned into - Both rear quarters, rear seat braces, package tray, rear pan rust damage on hood... What I started as a 5-6k project has now evolved into a 20k project just on the body...

He is still 9k away from finishing and I feel like just throwing in the towel. It is not a numbers matching car although it is a 138 car. I thought I did a decent job going through the car prior to purchasing, but either my eyes suck, or people are getting good at hiding shotty work.

How do you make a decision to just say forget it - absorb the loss and try a different car. Or is it once you start, just bite the bullet and do it. After all is said and done, I will probably be 60K into a 30k car. Sure it will be completed right but where is the line that you just say stop?
Cut your losses and put your discretionary income in an investment fund for your daughter's eduacation. Let things settle down and think hard about it. If you still want a nice chevelle, find one for a reasonable price and get it. My $0.02

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 12:37 AM
Tech Team
Al

Get it together enough to shoot some satin primer on it and make it run and drive. Then if you decide not to complete it at least it has more value as a driver than in pieces. You can enjoy it a bit and give your self some time to decide what is next. I learned all phases of paint and body due to getting tired of waiting for a shop to do a car for me years ago. None of it is difficult, just time consuming, good luck!

Mostly Camaros and Chevelles and a double nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

If youll like the end result keep at it...who is to say a lot of finished cars arent hiding problems? they are old..
#s matching has nothing to do wiht it despite what tv/web says...its about what you want.
HKalin likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:08 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Finish what you have now in line take a breath then figure out a plan B. I agree with guys above stopping now it will be very tough to sell for a good price. I would see if you can finish it and just drive the car maybe do stuff in phases to keep interest in it. I see a lot of people that start something and then because they can't drive the car they loose interest or they find something lese they can drive resulting in an unfinished project that goes nowhere.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:29 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Roger,
You really only gave a brief description of the condition of your car and no pics. You say you took it to a reputable builder. I don't agree with those that suggest you are possibly being fleeced. After all the builder wouldn't be reputable very long if he took advantage of his customers. The going rate at resto shops is $100.00 per hour. At $20K that is only 200 hours and that would be with parts and materials being free. Unless the builder is very generous or crazy the parts and materials are not free and if he is supplying the parts then he is most likely marking them up.
IMO you would be throwing good money after bad if you throw in the towel. What can you sell a project car for? Maybe $4K or so. So you are taking a $10K -$15K bath and have to start all over again. At least with the present car you will know what you have. Let this be a learning experience and use it to make educated choices going forward.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Think about it from two positions. First, just look at the dollars and cents. You're into it right now for $11k plus whatever you paid for the car. If you stop now and sell it, what would your total net loss be? Take that and add it to the price you would pay for the next car that has a great body and paint, as that will be what you're "all in" cost would be at that point. Then figure what you would finish sinking into that car to do what you want, and that's your total cost to dump this project and start and finish the next one. Now compare that to what you will have into this car once you add up all the things you want to do to finish this one.

Second position - assume the new car you will buy has some unforeseen problems too. The one you have now is a known quantity. You were looking for a father/daughter project. It's not all about just the dollars. This "hobby" ain't cheap.

My $0.02 - you are far enough in, get the body finished and slap a driver quality paint job on it (heck you and your daughter could give it a shot) then spend quality time with your daughter making this exactly what you want with the drivetrain and such. You will know the foundation is good, so if you ever want a better repaint, it shouldn't take a ton of work. If you stop this one and start another, chances are better than 50/50 that the next one will have plenty of warts too, and you might be right back here asking the same questions again.
Dan Orgill, davewho1, Proc and 1 others like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 5:48 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Mines been finished for about 3000 miles
Spent about 4K on other stuff the car “needed” I do everything myself.
1k this month on a broken rear upper control arm Bushing lol. Decided to install spherical bearings hopefully that will be more reliable on both uppers on rearend. Well that turned into dual roto joint UMI lowers and a Spohn pt swaybar.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 5:28 PM
Tech Team
Jack

Either sell it...

...or never look at the receipts................

It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454 LS5

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 6:08 PM
Tech Team

That’s crazy, I do all the work on my car, but never bought a car that needs body/paint work.

It’s going to cost lots more to get it done, knowing that you’re either willing to pay it or not, if money spent/to spend is an issue, I’d say take a break from it for a while.

Good luck
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 7:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

My view is unless you can do the body work/paint yourself, either get a car that doesn't need much body/paint work, or expect to spend over $20k for someone else to do it.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 8:46 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I would say 95% of us are probably into our cars more than we'll ever get out of them. I compare my project as a mortgage or a new vehicle by the time you pay off a 30 year mortgage you have spent almost twice as much as the house is worth same as a new truck payment, what's that truck worth in 4 years?. A father son or daughter project is priceless. If funds are available keep picking away it's something your daughter will never forget. Jmo good luck

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 4:15 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Like many (most?), my love for these old cars exceeds my common sense and abilities. Still, I picked up a '68 Malibu that should have been crushed. 3 years later and I'm just starting to put it back together (metal work that is). I replaced just about everything except the floor (well, I even replaced part of that). I quit looking at or keeping receipts - too depressing. I do 95% of the work so costs are kept down. I figure I have about 20K invested in parts/tools alone. Wife said it would be cheaper to get a girlfriend. At the rate I'm going, I hope to have all metal work completed by the end of the year. It's a labor of love.
pnugene likes this.

Jay
1968 Chevelle Malibu, 350 - Project
Build:

Central FL
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Oh my GOSH! I first bought my car off of ebay in 2003, looked it over, realized it needed A LOT of work, left it sit for 10 years, and eventually learned that it was definitely being named PIMA...(Pain in MY A$$) I just talked to my engine builder yesterday, and he said that my AFR heads are a MESS, but that wasn't even the reason for taking it over there in the first place, but more $$$. This thing just keeps getting better... After a while, you just start laughing it off...it's the only thing you can do. Six LONG years later, and I'm still dumping endless amounts of money into it...but I still LOVE my car.

This is kind of a low point. This was after I dropped the frame out of it.

I finally got it together and driving after paint jail fiasco in 2016 and 2017.

Currently. The new hood is over to the body shop after the old hood had severe paint lifting. Speaking of lifting!!! My wallet is lighter again after the second major rebuild in 5,000 miles.

Buyer's remorse...depends on the day!

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in