Trim tag - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

Trim tag

Working on purchasing a 70 SS 396 not a number matching car. Appears to have the correct features to make it an SS. The car is missing the trim tag, what are my options in getting it replaced or is that even possible? Have not found the build sheet either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 3:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Trim tag

TRIM TAGS - Home

Check the VIN and I would also check the CONVIN locations to make sure you won't have any issues in registering/titling the vehicle. Do this before you sink a ton of cash into just to find out it is stolen.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
Working on purchasing a 70 SS 396 not a number matching car. Appears to have the correct features to make it an SS. The car is missing the trim tag, what are my options in getting it replaced or is that even possible? Have not found the build sheet either

You can probably find someone who will make you a trim tag. Question is, what would you put on it?

A caution, in some states it is a felony to remove/replace a trim tag. Check your state laws.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...e6June2010.jpg

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 10:39 AM
Tech Team

Replacing the trim cowl tag is no big deal. Its messing with a vin tag that could amount to a problem
Freddy Mercado and fishhead like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

If it is a real SS and the tag is missing, it was probably cloned onto another car. I would search for the actual vin and make sure another car isn't already registered with it.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 5:59 AM
Tech Team
Walt

I've used them to reproduce some rotted or damaged Trim tags.

TRIM TAGS - Home
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 8:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuss67 View Post
Replacing the trim cowl tag is no big deal. Its messing with a vin tag that could amount to a problem
Replacing a trim tag in Oklahoma is a felony.
Check your state laws to avoid serious problems.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...e6June2010.jpg
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 8:58 AM
Tech Team

The trim tag has nothing to do with the vin tag or vin number. it is not a felony to discard or replace them or the companies re popping them wouldn't exist
Greg P, fishhead and 68-13427 like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

But to me, why would anyone ever remove it? Even on a high dollar restoration, I wouldn't remove it. If it is removed, and gone, I would assume it is on another car.
427L88 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 11:14 AM
Gold Member
Gene

In NY, that's a dont mess with it car..... unless someone can explain why a cowl tag isnt a trim tag isnt a VIN.

"Important information about vehicle identification numbers
In an effort to protect consumers, the Department of Motor Vehicles would like to inform you about New York State laws pertaining to vehicle identification numbers (also called VINs).

It is against the law to possess a motor vehicle or any part of a motor vehicle that has a vehicle identification number that is

destroyed
altered
defaced
concealed
removed
Law enforcement will seize (or confiscate) any motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that is determined to have an altered or missing identification number. The municipality where the ‘unidentifiable’ motor vehicle or part is seized can sell the vehicle or part at a public auction."

It may be kosher where you are nova, but it should mean a rock bottom price on very undocumented car. That can never be properly doc'd. So akin to like drag car/no title pricing.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 12:07 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Unless I lived in Oklahoma I wouldn't worry about it myself but I would make sure that the VIN tag was correct.
(As we've read on here, Oklahoma is the only state where removing a cowl tag is illegal.)

BTW, If you order a replacement cowl tag, how do you know exactly what to have them put on it?

This reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of times;

Two different times I was called for a second opinion of central air-conditioners (or just their compressors) needing to be replaced to find the tags had been removed from the compressor by previous service techs so no compressor information could be obtained by my guy.

Both times, the previous service tech said he couldn't read it so he needed to get it out so he could hold it in his hand to read it.
I said OK, but why did you take it with you rather than leave it with the unit?

The reason I said all that is because a tag on a compressor looks a lot like the cowl tag on a vehicle so MAYBE it was removed for the same reason.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 2:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuss67 View Post
The trim tag has nothing to do with the vin tag or vin number. it is not a felony to discard or replace them or the companies re popping them wouldn't exist
It depends on the State involved. Some states DO have fairly restrictive statutes in effect that would affect your future.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 2:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
But to me, why would anyone ever remove it? Even on a high dollar restoration, I wouldn't remove it. If it is removed, and gone, I would assume it is on another car.
I saw a high buck shop ($150 per hour Shop Rate 17 - 18 years ago) that removed a Trim Tag to do a major restoration on a one-owner "L-code" '69 Chevelle. The Tag was never replaced, and never missed by the owner, until a Car Show Judge dinged the owner for it being missing.

I think it must have grown legs and walked off.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 2:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
In NY, that's a dont mess with it car..... unless someone can explain why a cowl tag isnt a trim tag isnt a VIN.

"Important information about vehicle identification numbers
In an effort to protect consumers, the Department of Motor Vehicles would like to inform you about New York State laws pertaining to vehicle identification numbers (also called VINs).

It is against the law to possess a motor vehicle or any part of a motor vehicle that has a vehicle identification number that is

destroyed
altered
defaced
concealed
removed
Law enforcement will seize (or confiscate) any motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that is determined to have an altered or missing identification number. The municipality where the ‘unidentifiable’ motor vehicle or part is seized can sell the vehicle or part at a public auction."

It may be kosher where you are nova, but it should mean a rock bottom price on very undocumented car. That can never be properly doc'd. So akin to like drag car/no title pricing.
Whereas some brands include the VIN on the Trim Tags, GM, in the `60's did not. Federal Statutes don't pertain to the Tag we're discussing, HOWER, some states do prohibit removal, altering, etc. the tag.

Always check your state's laws.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

You guys are reading that law wrong.

Read it

s l o w l y

It states you cant own a vehicle with those issues.

There are laws that state you can remove it for restoration purposes. Restorers do it all the time.

As long as that vin goes back on that car
Or
A vin is assigned to that car.

The law posted even talks about confiscation and reselling it.

We've been through this over and over.
Freddy Mercado likes this.

1969 chevelle
New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in