Team Chevelle banner

Good Vendor / Bad Vendor

7K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  cv67 
#1 ·
Hello All:

I just closed a deal on a 1967 SS I've had my eye on for about six months. I still need to go pick the car up (couple weeks), but I'm already researching various products/parts to make her 'mine'.

To that end, I'd like to gather some opinions on what vendors (and products) are good and which to stay away from. Kinda like a Harbor Freight vs. Craftsman vs. Snap-On comparison in the tool world. I don't mean to denigrate any who find value in HF tools (I have a few myself), but the general perception is HF: so-so, Craftsman: middle of the road, Snap-On: the best. ;)

I see all sorts of online vendors: Ausley's, Don's Chevelle, OPGI, SS396, ad infinitum...

Who should I stay away from?

And are some products good from any particular vendor and others poor? I.e., interior parts from Kim Jong's Super Special Mostly Authentic Chevelle Parts are fine, but stay away from their suspension parts...

I understand any replies will be opinions, but I'd like to get somewhat of a head's up on who's who in the Chevelle replacement parts world.

Just for the sake of a car intro (I previously added a brief introductory post in the New Members area), the car I bought is a numbers matching SS, 325HP, M21, 3.31 Posi, in great shape. The only mods currently are Cragars, BFGs, a cassette 'factory look-alike' radio, and a couple of aftermarket speakers. (Pic below)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

See less See more
#30 ·
One look at my car, you can see I have bought a lot of stuff through the years.

One good thing about the Internet is just about every vendor has reviews. I study these before making a big purchase.

I also am a fan of total kits. My BeCool Radiator Assy came as a complete kit. So did the Wilwood Disc Brakes, Torque Tech X Pipe Exaust, Hydratech Hydraboost Brake Booster, the Holley Fuel Injection, etc.

I have found that the reputable manufacturers and dealers cover all of the bases and have worked out the problems.

#32 ·
One good thing about the Internet is just about every vendor has reviews. I study these before making a big purchase.
I also check reviews. However evaluating those can be tricky. Sometimes people will only leave a review when it is bad and may have little to do with the quality of the item. But a key phrase or comments will have me pull the trigger or look for something else.

#31 ·
:cool: Many Retailers will give you better deals if you purchase large quantities of parts at one time, and combined shipping. Also, many Retailers will happily price match other Retailers. The big thing I learned is that Customer Service is often more important than a low price. That illusion of low price goes away when you have to ship a purchase back to the Retailer because the part is substandard.

I stopped ordering from one Retailer because IF one or more items on the invoice was in "backorder" status you'd NEVER, ever get those parts unless you called the Retailer and had Customer Service check up on them. I don't know what's wrong with their system, but backorders seem to fall off the edge of the earth. It just happened to me again two weeks ago: I ordered a new 3-spoke Comfort Grip Steering Wheel (with the "SS" in the horn cap that is a Ground Up exclusive so I had to order it for them) and sure enough, the Install Kit was on "backorder." When I finally called I was told the kit as in stock and should have shipped: what a PITA. Their shipping / handling costs have been outrageous (I used to get boxes that had been resealed with no less than 30 staples -- those staples aren't free-- and would indicate to me that an employee has an dysfunctional attitude). The Retailer used to be a sponsor here and at one time gave us a 10% discount, but apparently our comments signaled an "ungrateful attitude." The Retailer no longer sponsors Team Chevelle. :surprise:

BTW: If you were running their Shipping Department, wouldn't you hold the shipment of a KIT until all the components comprising the KIT were in hand? It's not like I can do anything until I have the entire KIT! PLUS, now I have to pay extra shipping! PMOBT!

Anyway, I give Summit Racing super high marks, I seldom have an issue and when I do their CS is fantastic. :thumbsup:

#33 ·
The thing about reviews is so.e sites won't let you leave a negative review. I tried many times to leave a review on Stihl site about a weed eater that was allergic to grass. I was finally told by their wonderful customer service that it was their site, and I couldn't leave a negative review, as it was bad for business...

#34 ·
Have used OPGI, NPD, Ground Up and Ausleys..OPGI's prices have gotten out of sight lately, even with the deals, but shipping wise closest to you, NPD, Ground up and Ausleys..whoever has the best price and shipping charges. OPGI raised their freight charges a while back unless you qualified for free shipping. I would always recommend looking at NPD and Ausleys first. Ausleys claims that if a part is not up to snuff as far as quality, they will not stock or ship it.
Probably why their inventory is more limited. Just remember, most of the aftermarket repos vary from OEM quality..if you can obtain or recondition the original part/pieces you may be farther ahead in many instances...FWIW

#35 ·
My o2.
I have used several vendors for Chevelle and engine parts I really like NPD for resto parts their customer service is second to none, and the quality of the parts is excellent. I like Summit for eng and other non resto parts, Jegs seems good also very competitive on price I just don't like the way their web site is layed out.

#36 ·
Boy is that a tough question to answer. Especially if your like me and have bought so many different parts covering every aspect of the car. Where do you start. Are you rebuilding it as original or as a resto mod or custom or hot rod or semi look correct. As far as the easiest way to do a Chevelle I think Resto -Mod is the way to go. You don't have to meet any standard other than make it look nice. The most difficult is the original. This means every nut and bolt head has to have the correct markings. Take for instance the oil pan plug. On a 65 it has special markings on it. They don't make originals with those markings. I saw one on Ebay for $45. This is what you can expect if you go original. As far as vendors I've used them all. It's all about knowing what to look for and never take the vendors word that what their selling is correct. Sorry about that.
You have to know personally what it should look like and what it's made of. Some restoration parts are perfect and some not so perfect and trying to find the perfect replacement can be a lesson in futility. Chroming is outrageously expensive. That's just the way it is. I've got two repro bumpers from AMD and they look great and feel as heavy as the originals. But you still have people that give them a thumbs down. I buy all my sheet metal from AMD. My best advice is know what it looks like and if the reproduction has the correct markings.if possible. It's the product , not the vendor. Look for the correct product. Take for instance tie rods. The correct tie rods on a 65 have the grease fittings on the sides and not the face. This is so it doesn't interfer with the sway bar. Vendors sell them with the grease fitting on the face. It's the correct size and length but that's not completely correct. Good luck finding them with the correct thread , length, etc. with the grease fitting on the side. You need to know what your replacing and stick with the exact configuration. Good luck.

#38 ·
I know this may be taboo on here but I am the grandson at Sundell Auto Specialties. We carry pretty much all of the new repro parts but we also have over 1000 GM cars and about 400 are chevelles. We did pick up some NOS parts that we are slowly getting to listing. This is self advocating so I understand if people disagree. We also let people come and walk through the yard and I try to update our facebook regularly with pictures. Again this is self promotion so I am biased because I do like to eat at the end of the week.

#40 ·
Sure many are the same. I do like the seat covers from Muscle Factory however the coloring on one corner seems to rub off easy

FOAM....have your upholstery guy do it unless you like REAL soft foam. Dash pads, grilles are hit and miss. It beats hunting down old junk, paying throuhg the nose, replating etc

Still looks the same just not as tough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.