27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 9:34 PM
Super Mod
Bob

Re: Let's Talk Hose Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
Constant tension crack when they get old,sick of changing them at work.Tower clamps are junk ,just took them of my car and into the garbage.The new design adjustable stainless clamps made for rubber with the solid sections that dont bite the rubber is my preference.
Not the factory flat spring clamps but stainless constant tension clamps like these:

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...00404/v/123454

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bob Tiley; Mar 18th, 19 at 7:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 10:50 PM
Tech Team

Garage

The worm clamps have gotten cheap over the years, I 've stripped more out the last few years than ever before

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
Constant tension crack when they get old,sick of changing them at work.Tower clamps are junk ,just took them of my car and into the garbage.The new design adjustable stainless clamps made for rubber with the solid sections that dont bite the rubber is my preference.
Can you post a pic or reference to what you are referring to as far as the new adjustable stainless type? In the poll the constant tenting clamps I was referring to was the type that somewhat resemble a worm drive clamp. But there is another style that is kind of two spring steel wires. Guess I should have been more specific.
Sleeper '69 likes this.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I hate tower clamps!!! When the hex head breaks because of corrosion, you'll have a fun time getting them off. Your garage queens won't have a problem, but I've had to cut off waaaay too many of those things. Just a simple worm gear clamp for me...simple and quick.

I have to take the hoses off of PIMA a lot, so I need something simple...
Kirk's67SS likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 11:15 AM
Tech Team
Perry

I use worm clamps painted Black and Tower Clamps just for looks. The OEM tower clamps were great but the repros are much thinner and IMHO junk. I drive my cars and for lots of miles and do not want to be stranded on the side of the road ever...
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyasher View Post
I use worm clamps painted Black ...
Would like to find a quality clamp that is black. That way they would tend to disappear. Do you have any trouble with paint chipping off. I assume you pain't them satin? Or maybe semi gloss?
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I like these clamps, but apparently I am in the minority based on reviews. Summit used to sell them in a kit. The inner liner is nice, as it prevents the clamp from digging into the hose, but they have all the convenience of normal worm gear clamps.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-390503
Those do look nice but aren't they just a bit small for the two lower radiator hoses? The lower clamps (tower clamps) for the lower hoses are 2& 5/16.. These say largest recommended hose diameter is 2.13
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 2:33 PM
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
I've had repop tower clamps on my car for 4 years without a problem. Even had the upper hose on and off a coupe times. No sealant on the hose. So far I haven't had any problems out of them.
your lucky

lou
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 2:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Anybody use these? Beside a boost application.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1XG...g!469967173860!

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 3:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Those do look nice but aren't they just a bit small for the two lower radiator hoses? The lower clamps (tower clamps) for the lower hoses are 2& 5/16.. These say largest recommended hose diameter is 2.13
I bought mine 6-7 years ago. Summit sold a 15-20 pc assortment of this style clamp back then. Can't find it on their site anymore. Looks like they only have leftovers in a few sizes. That's a shame, as they work pretty well.

EDIT: Like these

https://www.dixonvalve.com/products/...veSeal%20Clamp
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 7:42 AM
Tech Team
Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Would like to find a quality clamp that is black. That way they would tend to disappear. Do you have any trouble with paint chipping off. I assume you pain't them satin? Or maybe semi gloss?
I used Eastwood underhood black - several light coats and carefully installed them on the car. No paint chipping so far. When the car is at a judged show I remove the clamps on the upper radiator hose (72 Chevy 350) so just the towers show. I replace them before leaving.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 7:58 AM
Team Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tiley View Post
Not the factory flat spring clamps but stainless constant tension clamps like these:

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...00404/v/123454
Those look really nice.

Dan
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well I ordered enough of the Gates GS Constant tension clamps to do all the cooling hose connections. Even have a couple extra of the smaller size as those are only sold in packs of 10 at Rock Auto where I ordered them, so might even experiment with painting one black. Found them at Jegs also but twice the price at jegs. Got 10 of the smaller clamps at Rock Auto for $4.00 more than I would have paid for 4 clamps at Jegs!!!

This style:https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...00404/v/123454
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

If one wants to keep originality, then use the proper parts.

On my 68 Chevy II Nova, when I bought it used it had the worm clamps on it and I knew that style was not original so I bought a set of tower clamps and the first one I put on did not work and bent. I started thinking maybe the tower clamps were junk I had but then figured out why I was having issues with the first one and after I tweaked the other ones before I put them on, they worked just fine.

As far as using one style of clamp and having one hose being more easily removed than another later on down the road, if both clamps are exerting the same force the bond between the hose and the nipple end is not going to be able to tell which clamp was in place if both exerted the same force. To me it's like which weights more, a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks ?.

My vote for originality is to put on the tower style if that is correct for the year, make, and model. If one wants to use something else for a more modern look or for better clamping if the tower style does not provide that due to inferior made clamps or from improper installation, then try another style.

Someone posted a while back on some site that the Wittek Tower Clamps were junk and I think it's how they are put together and if the folded over ears/tabs are too tight, then things will not slide past each other. This is the issue I had with mime and once I loosened them up a tad, they worked just fine.

The one of four tabs that could be crimped over too tight:

Jim
davewho1 and BACKN68 like this.

Always working on something:

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 5:37 PM
Team Member
Kevin

I have SS T bolt clamps, they look cool and I buy them cheap from a vendor I deal with at work. (Dixon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in