Please try and post in specific forums

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage
Re: Front End Sag on Jackstands?

Seems to make sense to leave the doors closed for a little extra rigidity; just remember not to open them while it's up. I'll plan to put the jackstands under the front control arms next to the ball joints, but not on them . Thanks for all the help guys.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
Wrong! This is just bad information mytmouz. I worked in an automotive shop , we did not crack the doors open before lifting any car, and i personally on more than one occasion opened , and shut doors while cars were on the lift. I have a lift at my house, i have had many different cars and trucks on it without sag. I work inside cars while they are on the lift, only a foot or two off the ground. Now i do remember hearing that you should not open the doors of a fiberglas car, namely corvettes, when they are lifted, but i don't know if it is true, and i would not pass on information that i don't know to be factual. Work safe. Terry
Just saw this. I just repaired the chips on my 67 from when it was on the 2 post lift during reassembly...
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The sag on my 64 w/o the front clip was comical. With the clip it's not much better, but I've got shorter doors so I haven't noticed paint chipping.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 2:31 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77keith View Post
Sorry you feel that way. I" personally" have never had the sag issue on a Chevelle. I was not born with a 2 post lift. I started building cars like many outside in mud or gravel with an old sears jack. Sorry you felt I was misleading people on info. I genuinely am. I always have a few muscle cars in my shop. I work on them almost daily. The other kind of cars I mentioned are cars that I work on as favors to the people that have the muscle cars in and out of my shop for whatever reason. And I "personally" would not say the 308 is a mid mount engine. It is way past centerline. The GT is more mid mount than the 308, but it doesn't really matter. Others here have had these issues, so I guess it must be true. Could it be from jacking it up one corner at a time? I Could see that making it flex it at a large angle. No disrespect to anyone here.
It's understandable that a person could lift many Chevelles and never notice any sag because they never ever opened a door while the car was raised up.
427L88 and Bow_Tied like this.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 3:58 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

Its also understandable that that person does routinely open doors, but lifts them properly? If they sag so much... Why don't they fold up going over speed bumps? I guess I have a magical shop. I think my neighbor has a beanstock . I did conseed that with as many people saying it does happen, that it must be so, I guess be careful when and where these cars are jacked and where the stands are placed. Putting the stands under the controls arms sounds good to me, but Y all be the judge of that.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 4:54 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

A lot of these cars sag due to worn out body bushings and because the frames are not completely boxed. Lifting them at points rearward of the front wheels and forward of the rear wheels is just looking for problems.The weak points on these frames is where they bend upwards both front and rear. This is why you see people boxing the frames with kits. Also if you look into an aftermarket chassis, you will find fully boxed frames or an extra brace inside the outer rail to help stabilize any flexing that was common to the factory frame.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 7:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
Just saw this. I just repaired the chips on my 67 from when it was on the 2 post lift during reassembly...
I would say that you did not have the car properly balanced on the lift. Where did you get flex to cause chips, around doors, fenders, deck lid ,hood?Stating I repaired the chips on my 67 from when it was on the 2 post lift is pretty vague. I am not saying it can't happen, but how many cars and trucks are put up on lifts in garages , and repair shops all over the country everyday. Are all these vehicles then sent to the paint shop for paint chip repair? No.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

Boxed the frame. New body bushings. Good gap at the door and fender on both sides. Lift point was on frame as close to the rockers and at the point closest to wheel wells front and back. Shipped the paint where the sag caused the door and fender to contact at the lower mating edge on both sides. When car was lowered the gap was good again, as there was no sag. I posted my answer due to my experience with my car, which is similar to the OP sig line car. If the door
is opened slightly prior to lifting, which is what I recommend, there won't be an issue, period. This ain't my first rodeo either...
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 5:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

We had mine on stands many times and opened and closed the doors with no issue. I did notice some flex when it did not have the front clip installed.

Not to get off topic but one possibility of experiencing paint chips may be door gaps are on the tight side. I have seen some cars where guys set the gaps so tight, they look good but are not practical. Even with OEM fenders, doors and quarters, there is always some variance, I found a tad wider gap tended to hide the variance, up to a point anyway, especially when you set the gaps tight with the body in just metal primer. By the time you add urethane primer, base coat, top coat, you're gonna close up that gap and just asking for paint chips.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 7:25 AM
Tech Team

Garage

You can add me to the list of chipped paint at the door reveal too. Moving the jack stands to under the control arms will alleviate this situation. Otherwise crack the doors slightly before using jack stands behind front wheels. If you have large gaps/revals, then you are good to go.
427L88 likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 3:36 PM
Gold Member
Gene

To each his own Joe, as it maybe unique. I had Old Red painted by some of the best guys in town. One of the straightest original sheet 67's you will ever see. PERFECT gaps. ( hood is my work and it took way too long!) Maybe because Old Red was a street racer for its prior life? Donnow? my gaps are better than most. Perfect. so maybe its...

if you have perfect gaps, do not open the door when lifting via frame under front pillar.

I still jack there, its too easy. Just never open doors. If I have to open, I'll jack under the lower control arm.

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way.
No disrespect taken Keith. And I am sorry for the harsh, near ballistic reply. Ex interrogators , currently finance analysts don't "feel", we simply observe data and execute. Masters of reality can get ballistic when opinion as stated as fact. Reason I must stay off Fakebook. I keep trying to correct all my "right wing" buddies' logic and enlighten them for the good of our Republic. Naw, I think I just tick them off to no net positive effect. So I "gagged" myself for the good of the corps.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 5:04 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
If they sag so much... Why don't they fold up going over speed bumps?
Lifting under the frame behind the wheels is MUCH different than lifting the car at the suspension points (as it was designed to be supported). These cars do flex when lifted by the frame and not at the suspension points. I have three fully restored A-bodies in the garage (solid frames, new bushings, big and small blocks) and they all flex when lifted by the frame behind the front wheels. The GTO has HORRIBLE flex, I won't even think about opening the doors when it is on stands unless those stands are under the suspension.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 9:05 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Another with a chipped drivers door here. First year I owned it (was just a kid then) I put it on 4 stands for the winter as the elders around me were all on about the tires getting flat spots (which turned out to be bogus for radial tires). In the spring I opened the door before taking it off the stands. Ack, chipped the leading edge of the door. Lesson learned.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

Founding member of
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 2:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

It often depends on what work I am doing on my car, as to where I place the jack stands... I typically place them at the sway bar mounts on the frame (the jack stands usually have a "saddle" that fits the sway bar well)Ö

But, when working on the suspension (such as replacing the lower control arms), I often place the jackstands behind the front wheel (under the cowl), in fact, I often have one edge of the jack stand "hooked" inside one of the frame holes in that area, as I always worry about the car slipping off...

In 37+ years and numerous Chevelles (and a few El Caminos), and I have never had an issue where the car sagged enough to bind the doors or chip the paint...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 9:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

For what it’s worth, ANY jack stand will make a convertible deflect. Just the nature of the beast without the metal roof structure support

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in