• 2 Post By shovelrick
  • 1 Post By George Halpin
  • 1 Post By hydro462

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Best Speakers for New Blue Light Stereo?

My wife just bought me an aftermarket Blue Light Stereo for my '69. 45 years ago I factory ordered a '74 Nova and one of the options I chose was a Blue Light Stereo. I recall that radio cost $233, which was a pricey option back then.

My question is, what speakers should I buy for the new one? I have one original package shelf speaker (6 X 9?) and have purchased a second speaker grille, so I'd like a recommendation for modern package shelf replacement speakers. I also like the replacement kick panels with speakers, but I've seen different speaker options for those. I already routed 4 speaker wiring under the carpet and back seat during the restoration, so I should be set there. Here is some product info on the radio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevel...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Saltherring; Jan 25th, 19 at 1:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 2:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Best Speakers for New Blue Light Stereo?

That's the one I put in my car but went with the orange light instead. Back when I bought mine they didn't have the bluetooth incorporated in it yet. I had originally put a Retro Sound radio and speakers in the car but it crapped out within the first 250 miles I put on the car. The sound quality especially in the volume department sucked. This radio has very good volume. I tried like 3 different small dash speakers that mount under each end of the dash pad but they just can't take the volume of the radio and start breaking up. I would suggest going with the kick panel speakers instead. You can buy the kick panels empty and put a speaker that you would prefer just make sure they aren't too deep in the back for clearance.
Saltherring likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 6:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Thanks, Hank. What I would really like is some guidance as to speaker wattage ratings and stuff like that. I have no clue as to how to match the proper speakers to the radio I bought so as to get the best bang (sound) for my buck. I'm pretty ignorant about sound systems and electronics in general. It's a machinist thing, y'know?
HKalin likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 7:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Yeah, I know what your talking about. I'm no wize with that stuff either.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 8:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

if its an original radio output it will need 8-10 ohm speakers
most modern replacement spaekers are 2 0r 4 ohm.

ROB

69 El Camino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 9:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yep, you need to know what impedance speakers you can run on the radio. It could very well be 4 ohms BUT it's worth checking into. The manufacturer should be able to provide this info or a person on their tech line.

As far as power handling, most speakers today will handle the built in power of the radio but if you are looking for a number, anything that handles 50W or more will be fine and if you think you might be adding an amplifier later to get the speakers louder, look for a higher wattage handling speaker.

As far as what ones to get, listen to different ones. What you like might very well be different than what I like, or someone else likes so pick ones that you like. Also too, stick with a brand that has been out there a while with decent quality. Brands like Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, and others to me would be a better choice than a brand like Boss, alphasonic, and other companies like them that just sell over rated stuff. Also look for speakers that the surround is a treated foam or rubber for something that is longer lasting than just plain foam which deteriorates fairly quickly. Again, these are my opinions.

When you go to install them, it's VERY important to get the wiring right (polarity) as well as getting the speakers mounted properly so they are sealed right and not flapping on the breeze. Think of this as timing a cam right, installing piston rings right, having good valve seals, and so on when building a motor.

Jim
Saltherring likes this.

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 9:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Nice radio, I have an older model in my 'Bu. According to the eBay auction ad the radio takes "4 X 45 watts RMS output allows up to 180 watts of audio power."

I found this, but it's Greek to me: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-me...speaker-output
Saltherring likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I put Rockford fosgate speakers in my 68 and on the kick panels they make rings to adjust the speaker outward if it's a deep speaker but will interfere with the E brake, I've read E brake can be modified to clear though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06757.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	584528   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06755.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	584530   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM07122.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	584532  
HKalin and Saltherring like this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 8:22 AM
Gold Member

Home page MikeHaganAntiqueAutoRadio.com

That radio comes from Mike. He converted my orig. 70 AM/8track to AM/FM/8Track/Bluetooth. He does excellent work and has been doing it for years. Takes the guts out of the original radio box and adds in new technology
Saltherring likes this.

1970 Astro Blue SS396 L34
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Halpin View Post
Home page MikeHaganAntiqueAutoRadio.com

That radio comes from Mike. He converted my orig. 70 AM/8track to AM/FM/8Track/Bluetooth. He does excellent work and has been doing it for years. Takes the guts out of the original radio box and adds in new technology
That's what I read yesterday on his webpage.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Pick up a Blaupunkt amp like in the link and let it do all the work...

I have an input jack soldered into my stock Delco AM radio that I run my I-pod Shuffle into to. I have a Blaupunkt amp connected to the speaker lead and the amp does all the hard work.
I use one Audio Pipe 8" woofer in a Atlas Speaker lowered ceiling speaker enclosure and one 6x9 Blaupunkt GTX690 5 way speaker and I think it sounds superb!! People are always amazed at the warm rich sound that the old Delco adds to the mix.. lol

These cars are tin cans, tryin to get audiophile sound in one is crazy. Just throw something together that makes sound. I listen to my 454 most of the time. I have to admit, I get a warm feeling driving down the road with the AM playing oldies that we used to listen to..

By the way, that's my new Hurst Autostick 1 shifter! I can't wait to make music with that this season!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket...IAK:rk:10:pf:0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speakers.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	584612   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	584614   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp 2.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	584616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	584618  

Name:	8 speaker in Atlas enclosure.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	584620  
Saltherring likes this.

Last edited by hydro462; Jan 27th, 19 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 367 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.