1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 18, 1:10 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Zip

Garage
Cruise control for hand controls - '68?

Alright, did my best to search out an answer, but found nothing. So I'll ask, and take my chances.
Had the new to us 68 out for a ride Sunday, and realized, I need cruise control. It's a bear keeping my hand on the throttle constantly. (hand controls) Not bad on short runs, but after awhile, hand, wrist and thumb bout give up.
I found that Dakota Digital offers one. Has anyone had experience with them, or others?
Cruise Control for Cable Driven Speedometers
Appreciate any comments, or other options. And no, flopping my foot on the go pedal, is not the answer.

Last edited by davewho1; Jul 17th, 18 at 3:59 AM. Reason: clarified title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 18, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Cruise control for hand controls - '68?

Go for it.
I and many others here have installed this cruise control and as for me it's an excellent unit. Easy to install. The directions can be a little confusing (lost in translation?) but tech support is very good.
I took my Elco on an long distance trip involving 7% grades just after installation. Cruise control held steady and worked flawlessly.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 18, 5:53 PM
Clint

Bump to the top

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 18, 6:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

A lot of the aftermarket cruises have a circuit that wires into the existing brake light switch and if it does with your added hand controls make sure the brake pedal does not get slightly depressed from the added weight of the controls when the vehicle hits a bump and then the brake lights blip on and thus disengaging the cruise.

Depending on your setup, you might have a new enough drivetrain swapped into your 68 and all that is needed is the cruise control stalk and maybe three wire connections but if it's being installed into an older vehicle without something like a VSS wire, then you may have to get another adaptor to generate this signal for the cruise to know what speed the vehicle is going.

Jim
davewho1 likes this.

Always working on something:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Zip

Garage

Good to know, it's a good unit. Thanks.
Jim, the hand controls won't affect anything, they are pretty much "free floating", no pressure on brake pedal.
The 56 we had, had cruise in it the PO installed, and it worked fine with the hand controls.
As for the drivetrain, it's a matching numbers car, so it's "old technology".
Guess we'll be ordering one up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Good to know, it's a good unit. Thanks.
Jim, the hand controls won't affect anything, they are pretty much "free floating", no pressure on brake pedal.
The 56 we had, had cruise in it the PO installed, and it worked fine with the hand controls.
As for the drivetrain, it's a matching numbers car, so it's "old technology".
Guess we'll be ordering one up.
I've had limited exposure helping out two buddies that had hand controls in their vehicles and theirs just seemed like it didn't take much effort to apply the brake arm on the controls. I remember the one that had a zero effort steering wheel and if you twitched the wheel one way or the other, you had better be holding onto it or it would go to full left or right lock.

Be glad the technology for cruise controls have evolved. I did many of them years ago that worked off engine vacuum, required magnets to be glued to the driveshaft, pickup coils mounted under the cars to pick up the magnets spinning by them, pull chain linkages to link the clutch pedal and brake pedal together off of a pulley that then connected to a vacuum dump valve, and then having to go out and set the parameters up with jewelers screwdriver adjustable potentiometers.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Zip

Garage

I hear you, thanks for the input.
These controls are old, they've also come a long way. I had a set in a 70 Impala that were vacuum assist on the throttle.
Could be used with one finger.
I like these, they'll go in just about anything. Had them in a Cutlass, S10, 56 BelAir, and now the Chevelle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have the pictured Dakota cruise on my 1970-468 Sta. Wgn. I use the little square dash control unit. My speedo is cable driven and I got the speedo kit with the unit. ( my tranny is a 700R4).
I mounted my servo unit in the right side of the cowl near the A/C pod. Ran the servo cable across by the wiper linkage and brought it out by the brake booster.
I and my wife use this cruise a " LOT " ! It is a super good unit ,,It has been working fine for many years. WHY did I install a cruise unit. Going to Nashville from Pittsburgh, Pa (750 Miles). The foot was DYING !
I mounted my little square dash control unit, Just to the right of the stock column shifter. On the dash. Easy to reach, Also it has the controls just like my Silverado. cancel, speed up,,resume, coast,,etc,etc.
The unit come with all the parts to attach it to--new style factory F.I. units or old style Carb. My unit is attached to a 1970 style " Q-Jet ".
This unit is the nicest thing since sliced bread!
Would I tell someone to buy it - YES. Would I use this unit again-YES
Many Chevelle folks have these units on there cars. Tom Parsons has one on his Corvette.
Bob
P.S. this unit is all ELECTRIC, No vacuum hose. I did have to install a relay to kick it out, WHY? I have L.E.D., Stop & Tail lights. L.E.D.s do not draw enough power to trip the unit. If you have stock 1157 stop light bulbs you will be fine.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Zip

Garage

Thanks for the info Bob.
Guess I'll be ordering, cause the thumb and wrist isn't going to make it on long trips, bad enough just around home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 510 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.