Team Chevelle banner

Aftermarket AM / FM / 8 track player

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Chevelle Freak 
#1 ·
Hi,

Could anyone give me some brand names and model numbers for AM/FM/8 - Track Players that fit in a 1970 Chevelle with the SS Dash? Aftermarket units are fine with me. I would really like to keep the 8-Track capability; therefore, I don't want a newly manufactured i-pod type unit.

Although I can find some units on E-bay, I can't be sure that they will fit. If I could search E-bay by brand and model number, I might have better luck.

Thanks a lot!

Rian

#3 ·
I have a new system with an I-pod now but my old Panasonic 8 track worked so much better! I could hear it more clearly thru the noise of the car.. My audiophile buddy said it was because the 8 track was analog..

Most in dash players will work on the Chevelle.. Stay away from the cheap ones like Spark o matic.. Look for name brands like Panasonic, Motorola, Channel master, etc....

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, but I'm still having trouble finding an AM-FM 8-Track to fit my Chevelle.

The Mike Hagan Radio Link posted above is great for a new radio, but I'm looking for an 8-Track.

The advice as to most in-dash players working with the Chevelle is appreciated; however, since I bought a Pioneer radio and it didn't fit (and I lost $50 reselling it!), I would really like some information regarding specific brands and model numbers.

Thanks a lot!

#6 ·
don't forget when looking at a stereo, the posts can be moved wider or narrower. the old days they used to include a adapter plate that slipped over the face to make up the space. jim

#7 ·
Rian, there are 3 different 1970 Chevelle am/fm 8 tracks on ebay right now. They range from $850 - $950, restored and needing restored. When I was looking for one, it took me 6 months of checking daily to find one. It was an even $1000.00, condition unknown. I got lucky and it did work, doesn't eat tapes either. Does it sound as good as a modern stereo? No. But it's what is on my build sheet, so that's what's in my car.

#8 ·
My 70 came with an AM-FM 8 track. It works perfectly. My thoughts are if you need an 8 track that fits the stock radio hole get a 70 AM 8 track that works and get a FM converter if you don't want to spend the big bucks on the factory AM FM 8 track. The AM 8 track units are reasonable and then if you want better FM mount one in the glove box. I know that my factory AM FM 8 track sounds 10X better than the new AM FM radio in my 67 Chevelle. I think its an Audiosound or something. Real tinny and no radio reception.

#9 ·
Thanks a lot for the comments!

I do realize that the shafts on many aftermarket radios are adjustable; however, I guess I just got unlucky with the Pioneer because it was designed for a Ford and (even with the maximum shaft adjustment) wouldn't fit my car.

I'll keep checking e-bay for an original!

#10 ·
I remember installing several afertmarket radios in my Chevelle and Camaros. You always had to grind out the slots for the shaft adjustment to get the 2 shafts to move closer towards center. I don’t ever remember purchasing a radio the 70’s or early 80’s that this was not necessary. I was always installing AM/FM cassette players not 8 tracks but I am sure the same modifications are necessary. Also you had to get a black plastic or rubber backer to fill in the space of the rectangular center. The radios were never the same size as the dash opening between the knobs and came with a flat black piece that was trimmed down to fit the gaps. I don’t think you are going to find anything aftermarket that fits correctly out of the box.

#11 ·
Hi,

It's been two years since my first post on this subject. During that time I have bought three aftermarket AM FM 8-Track in-dash units and still have not found one that fits the center hole in the dash. The e-bay sellers provided exact measurements for the last two that I purchased; however, they were still about 1/16th of an inch too tall to fit in the stock dash cutout. Cutting or modifying the dash is not an option.

I don't want to go with an OEM Chevelle 8-Track because they used a common ground for the speakers (the speakers were grounded to the car itself, rather than running the ground back from the speakers to the radio) and I want to use newer style floating ground speakers.

I am re-posting this in order to see if there is anyone on this forum that has an aftermarket in-dash 8 track unit that actually fits the dash cutout and shaft spacing. If so, I would sincerely appreciate information as to the brand and model number.

Thanks!

#13 ·
1. Why does it have to be aftermarket?

2. Why not add a factory am/fm with a factory 8 track?

3. Is your gauge pod, bezel original or aftermarket? If its aftermarket theres a good chance you need to scuff the opening OR why dont you scuff the housing of the radio to remove your 1/16th? If the holes for the dials are off, you'll HAVE to enlarge the holes a smidgen. Most radios from that era were MADE TO FIT A GM/FORD.

4. Have you thought about adding a complete under dash unit?

#14 ·
I'm thinking like Shane in that could the nose have 1/32" taken off of the bottom and 1/32" off of the top to make it 1/16" shorter in overall height ?.

The material taken off of the top or bottom would not have to be off of the whole nose portion but back just as thick as the dash plastic in that area.

One could probably take some 120 grit sandpaper on a small wood block a couple of inches long to sand off and thin the top and bottom of the plastic nose.

Not to be picky but if 1/32" was taken evenly off of the top and bottom of the radio opening in the dash would one really be able to actually see this ?.

Jim

#15 ·
Also so you know is if you have an old radio that only has the speaker positive wire out of it you can connect that to an aftermarket speakers positive post and then on the speakers negative terminal, attach it to a short jumper wire that then goes to a ground point by the speaker or run the speaker's negative terminal all the way back to the radio and ground it to the radio's chassis.

My understanding is the old common ground radio's had a limited output of up to around 5W and the newer radios that have floating ground outputs can have 20W or more output.

You can wire newer style 2 terminal speakers to a common ground radio but one cannot easily wire up common ground single terminal speakers to a floating ground output radio or amplifier.

If you did have a factory radio that was wired to newer 2 terminal speakers, one could put in an amplifier to increase the power output if needed.

Jim

#17 ·
Good ideas! I really don't want to file or enlarge shaft holes on my new (reproduction) SS dash. I didn't want to go the factory radio route due to the common ground issue; however, another person posted a comment about converting my floating ground speakers to common ground, so that may be a good way to go. The under dash 8-track may be a good option since that is how we added 8-track to cars "back in the day".

#19 ·
Hi,

Well, it took me two years of searching to find a factory in-dash 8 Track radio to fit my 1970 Chevelle with an SS dash; but I finally succeeded. I really appreciate all of the advice that everyone gave me.

I wanted to post this so that anyone else wanting the same thing wouldn't have to search so hard. I bought a factory AM 8-Track radio (GM Part #01BPBT2) on E-Bay that had already been modified by Aurora Design (Home) to now be an AM-FM- 8-Track with USB capabilities. It is upgraded to 45 watts per channel and looks totally stock.

It works great and I'm totally satisfied.

Rian

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.