Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Stephen

Replacing tach and possibly dash, seeking advice

My car: 1972 W-code

Situation background:
Iíve done some troubleshooting and made some calls to experts and itís advised that I just replace my tachometer. It works perfectly up to 4500 rpm, then wonít go any further until the motor falls back below 4500 rpm, then resumes normal function. So, Iíll keep the original tach in a box. Iím getting the correct LS-5, 5500 rpm, 3 screw tach from OPGI as the replacement.

Advice items:
So, this leads me to my advice seeking. I removed the dash pad and saw it was one of the fiberglass core units. I never really liked the way it fit, so Iíll order the genuine repro dash pad replacement from OPGI. Can any one attest to good fitment of these?

While Iím doing all this, the dash assembly on there has a crack under the speedo and above the column cut out. It bugs me. Also, tne dash has that silver trim painted on with small over sprays here and there. Again, it bugs me. The new ones seem to be updated with the chrome trim instead of the silver paint.

Being a 5/72 build, it has the seat belt warning light, but nobody make a repro dash with that, correct?

Consideration factor:
Iíve decided to sell my Chevelle. Iíve had it for a year, Iíve met my hero car and after much internal deliberation, Iíve decided to move on. So, Iím doing all this for the next buyer basically (whomever that may be). The tach and dash pad have to be done in my opinion. While Iím going for it, is it worth doing the dash assembly as well?

I want top dollar, so Iím spending the money to do these things right. Thanks for any advice.

(PS, Iíd prefer not to derail this thread into aone focused on the sale of my car. We can start another one for that)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage
Re: Replacing tach and possibly dash, seeking advice

If you are going to do it right I would send the tach to the tachman. He rebuilt my original tach and did a great job. It was a few years ago, but the price was right and the turn around time was only a couple of weeks.

The repo dashes that are available do not have the seat belt warning light. And they are pretty easy to spot as being repos because a lot of them are using the chrome around the bezels instead of the silver. Once again you may want to look into having someone restore the original. I know there are a few people on TC that do restorations.

Tachometer Repair Restoration for Antique Classic Cars Auto

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Stephen

Thanks Jon. I actually spoke with the Tachman yesterday. He advised me to just buy a repro tach. The part of my tach that is failing is a part that hasnít been made for years and years apparently. And if he did have one (which his last three just went to original LS-6 tachs) itís about $400 to do the repair.

As for my dash, it is already a replacement dash. The body off resto on my car was done slowly during the early to mid 2000ís. So any replacement parts are circa that era (EDIT: and Iíll address what some may be thinking: it stayed with the owner doing the resto during that time, so this wasnít a BJ car thrown together, it was this guyís forever car, but then...divorce for him unfortunately). I guess what I have is what was available. The gauges/pod, heater controls, etc are all original though. Actually, come to think of it, I could have an original dash just without the seat belt warning light. I know the guy tried using as many original parts as possible. Anyway to definitively tell?

So it seems that, despite the crack mentioned above and the slight ďcoloring outside the linesĒ in certain spots with the silver trim, that the repro that I already have is more ďdesirableĒ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 8:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I may be able to set you up with an original 72 seat belt light dash and an original dash pad. I restore dashes and pads. Do you need a stereo/ dual or a single speaker pad? Private Message me for more information. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RealRed70; Mar 20th, 18 at 8:48 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I had the same crack in my 72 dash with seat belt warning light. I fixed it with some epoxy during my restoration. I also replaced my tach with an OER unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5AA1E5C-5923-4598-B6F6-7FA1F036BB0D_1521592424121.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	535625   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CA3C877-A653-42D9-A2DE-70661A2D1DDA_1521592506624.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	535641   Click image for larger version

Name:	0AD99574-A0A7-4007-845C-C612D5803502_1521593014361.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	535649  

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
I had the same crack in my 72 dash with seat belt warning light. I fixed it with some epoxy during my restoration. I also replaced my tach with an OER unit
Thanks for posting those pics. Thatís a great idea, never thought of that.

Dan, PM sent. Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 2:06 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower72 View Post
Thanks Jon. I actually spoke with the Tachman yesterday. He advised me to just buy a repro tach. The part of my tach that is failing is a part that hasnít been made for years and years apparently. And if he did have one (which his last three just went to original LS-6 tachs) itís about $400 to do the repair.

As for my dash, it is already a replacement dash. The body off resto on my car was done slowly during the early to mid 2000ís. So any replacement parts are circa that era (EDIT: and Iíll address what some may be thinking: it stayed with the owner doing the resto during that time, so this wasnít a BJ car thrown together, it was this guyís forever car, but then...divorce for him unfortunately). I guess what I have is what was available. The gauges/pod, heater controls, etc are all original though. Actually, come to think of it, I could have an original dash just without the seat belt warning light. I know the guy tried using as many original parts as possible. Anyway to definitively tell?

So it seems that, despite the crack mentioned above and the slight ďcoloring outside the linesĒ in certain spots with the silver trim, that the repro that I already have is more ďdesirableĒ?
I literally got off the phone with "tachman" one minute ago. I want to have the speedo and fuel gauges (the only two in the cluster of my 69 Malibu) restored and calibrated. I contacted him because of all the good words here on these forums. He cut me off mid sentence and said: "yeah I don't do that. I only do the ones with the tach." Huh? I Guess I assumed that my gauges, looking just like the tach would, could be restored the same way. Not impressed with the service after no email response after four days and finally getting someone to answer after multiple calls. I guess I'm venting but very surprised after all the hype.

The brave do not live forever, the cautious do not live at all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 8:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Garage

I have used Redline Gauge and Clock Repair several times. He does nice work and is quick. His name is John.

www.redlineg.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 734 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.