67 wanting brighter headlights - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

67 wanting brighter headlights

Put some halogens in this many yrs ago...while a little better than the old stuff still lame

Dont need 'instant daylight" but these need help

Whats out there that fits the bucket and doesnt need some special electrical mods?
(super ignorant there)

Not sure I want a goofy futuristic look just something noticabley brighter

If theres a plug and play deal mfr and part number would be great. Dont want to overload some wires, switch and have an issue
At some point there will be an 8-9 hr long night drive and dont feel like straining the eyes .

Tried seaching couldnt come up with anything solid

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 4:02 PM

Re: 67 wanting brighter headlights

Have you looked at these, from Ausley's? 1964-1970 Halo Headlights
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 4:22 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Not sexy lights, but just good lights...Lighting Products

Plug n play relay set up for quad headlights...https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-H6054ST-...-/331754751905

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs

Last edited by TKG; Dec 22nd, 17 at 4:54 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 4:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-e...t-upgrade.html

Halogen headlights are usually bright enough. Many of us with older cars do not realize their brightness due to old, corroded or high wire resistance in our systems. A relatively simple upgrade is to install relays in our systems so we see full voltage and max usable current at the headlights.

Using any other super duper headlight will also require a relay supply system. So start here and see the difference before throwing top dollar headlights into a deteriorated electrical system.

Halogen headlights do get tired and throw less light as they age. So a set of new halogens may help along with the relay headlight system.
Catalog Read this from MAD Electrical for more info.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-e...t-upgrade.html

Halogen headlights are usually bright enough. Many of us with older cars do not realize their brightness due to old, corroded or high wire resistance in our systems. A relatively simple upgrade is to install relays in our systems so we see full voltage and max usable current at the headlights.

Using any other super duper headlight will also require a relay supply system. So start here and see the difference before throwing top dollar headlights into a deteriorated electrical system...
Solid advise here. ^^^^^
VinceS427bb and fishhead like this.

66 CHEVELLE

Last edited by davewho1; Dec 22nd, 17 at 9:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 4:46 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

I run relays with halogen headlights in my 66. The addition of relays alone made my headlights approximately 50% brighter than without. More than enough light and much whiter light.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Several things come to mind. Relays are a must in my opinion. If your halogen headlights are the Hella or Cibie style, you can upgrade to "off road" bulbs of varying wattage. This works for both high and low beams. Back in the 70's we used to go to the airplane parts store and get Cessna 100 series "aircraft landing lights" for our high beams. they fit the 4 headlight configuration (4x5.75) and throw out an incredible amount of light for cheap. Kinda ghetto but it worked.
wihaltom and TimP like this.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 9:17 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
Several things come to mind. Relays are a must in my opinion. If your halogen headlights are the Hella or Cibie style, you can upgrade to "off road" bulbs of varying wattage. This works for both high and low beams. Back in the 70's we used to go to the airplane parts store and get Cessna 100 series "aircraft landing lights" for our high beams. they fit the 4 headlight configuration (4x5.75) and throw out an incredible amount of light for cheap. Kinda ghetto but it worked.
This is what I ran on my first 68 'camino, back in the mid 70's. 1,000,000 candle power would throw a beam about a mile. I'm afraid they are pretty much illegal, but, you sure could see a looooooonnnnggg way!

68 ElCamino
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

cant remember the brand they were bought a long time ago
All wiring is brand new..if I need to add something to the wiring what/where? dont want to hurt the system.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just so you know, The headlights get the leftover voltage from inside the car, I agree with Mark. I wired in Two eight dollar relays from Advance and my Sylvania Halogens are 50-60% brighter, WHY?
My four headlights NOW get DIRECT BATTERY VOLTAGE. Also, Now I use my dimmer on the dash lights, WHY? The dash lights will be brighter with relays.
The Pos. wire comes across the core support to the relays, from the core support the headlight wire travels about 6" to the headlights. And YES with the relays the Halogens give off a VERY WHITE LIGHT.
Bottom line is this, For about $16.00 dollars and three hours of time you will have VERY BRIGHT LIGHTS.
Side note: When a car is coming at you at night with his, Blue or Bright Whites, Hit the dimmer switch ( All it does now is trigger the relays) and give him " 4 " White Halogens,,,,TRUST me The other guy will use his dimmer switch to get back to his low beams.
Bob
Now the headlights are getting 14+ Batt. Voltage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 10:52 PM
Tech Team

I just replaced all 4 headlights on my 69 with halogens. Not nearly enough light with low beams, good light with high beams. What relays are you knowledgeable guys referring to ?

Last edited by jerry van; Dec 23rd, 17 at 2:44 AM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Catalog <Mad relay kit
part # RLY-1 $24.00(price may not be accurate)

MAD Electrical offers a kit that contains the parts you will need. You will need 2 kits, one for high beams and one for low beams. The kit also contains a wiring diagram to make it easier to hook up. When completed, it's barely noticeable. see picture. That's the horn relay area just behind the left headlight inside the engine compartment.

Want to save some money? Assemble a kit yourself and supply 2 relays, a relay block wire harness, a fusible link in 18 gauge or 30- 40 amp maxi inline fuse and holder, and 12 gauge wire for most runs and 10 gauge to run directly to the battery.(If you hook to the horn relay, you can negate the 10 gauge run to the battery if your cable to the battery is in good shape. I don't think this is included in the MAD kit) Make sure your battery cables are clean and all your ground cables are clean. All connectors to lights should be clean as well.

I'll post a wiring diagram for a 4 light system when I find one.......... Maybe post some parts from Amazon that you could use....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bright36 (1).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	505649   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadlightRelayWiringDiagram3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	505657   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadlightRelayWiringDiagram.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	505665  
jerry van and VinceS427bb like this.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Dec 22nd, 17 at 11:44 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 11:48 PM
Tech Team

Thank you, that will do it!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

The relays will go a long way toward making your lights brighter plus take the strain off of wiring not rated or intended to feed halogen lights. I am a huge fan of the "off road" H4/H2 bulbs. They work well and will give you all the light you need.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
The relays will go a long way toward making your lights brighter plus take the strain off of wiring not rated or intended to feed halogen lights. I am a huge fan of the "off road" H4/H2 bulbs. They work well and will give you all the light you need.
I love those lights. I use the Hella brand conversion headlights on my Peterbilt. I upgraded to higher wattage lights, not exactly street legal but the Hellas have such good optics and sharp cutoff line that I never get flashed, but the system would not handle the extra draw of the lights. So I put together a relay system to draw power directly from the buss bar. Problem solved.

I still have not done this to my Chevelle, but it's on the list.

Hella conversion headlights...https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...d=328784SXBA9Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 925 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.