LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 3:53 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Smoke from rear wheel well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkar26 View Post
They were hot to touch for sure, but I’m not sure what is “normal” hot and what is “drum-brake-just-seized” hot.
Unless you were just back from some really hard driving (including hard braking), they would be warm but not smoking hot.
blue_69_malibu and Kirk's67SS like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 3:58 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Just my two cents but I think every new-to-you, old car needs to go on a lift after you get it....to see what's leaking and how things look in general. Something probably is....and that's no cause for alarm, per se.

I'd get the car up, see what leaks I can find, and then see how the rear tires spin. I suspect nothing major is wrong.

We often lose sight of the fact but a 1970 Chevelle is now 47 years old.
BossHogg69, Hotwire and Dkar26 like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 4:25 PM
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Check E Brake
LeoP and Dkar26 like this.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

New exhaust? Could be burning off some protective coating they apply for storage or residual oil from the mandrel bending operation.

John

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
New exhaust? Could be burning off some protective coating they apply for storage or residual oil from the mandrel bending operation.
Nothing new.
I'm thinking it may be the e brake because I drove it Saturday no problem.
Yesterday, same amount of time & it was smokin'

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 5:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Block the front tires and jack the car up in the back with it in neutral and the
e-brake off and try and spin that wheel. Try and notice how much drag is on it. Sometimes if there's corrosion inside the steel jacket of the cable it won't release properly. There should be a rubber boot on the cable right where it goes into the frame near the front lower control arm bolt. Pull the boot off and spray some WD-40 into the casing and pull the cable back and forth and see if the wheel frees up.
MidLife72, Kirk's67SS and Dkar26 like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

So I lifted the car tonight, and the wheels spun easy...I wasn’t able to take the drum off the hub to check/adjust the brakes, as much as I pounded on it.
I took it for a spirited drive and noticed (because it was dark) that the brake light was coming on. The e-brake pedal was loose: Lifting it a little with my left foot while driving allowed the light to turn off.
At the end of my drive, no smoke, no smell from wheel well.

So, can this little play in the brake be the cause of what happened to me?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Take it apart, no matter how many hits with a sledgehammer it takes. My dad was on a cruise this summer, some guy had the same issue- smoke smell from rear wheel. Car caught on fire while they were eating dinner on the cruise, burned the whole back of the car up.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 11:55 PM
Tech Team
kent

One reason you couldn't get the drum off is if the brake shoe has worn deep into the drum. I have had that happen. There should be a small slot in the backing plate where the star wheel is. Probably has some type of plug to keep debris out. You should be able to reach through with a brake tool or a screwdriver and back off the star wheel. This will pull the shoes inward and help you get the drum off. That's what I had to do.
Kirk's67SS, Hotwire and Dkar26 like this.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 4:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

When the emergency brake is released is there sloppiness in the cables underneath the car or are they pulling taut. If they seem to be a little loose tighten the cable up some more at the adjuster and see if the pedal returns all the way. I had put all new cables on my car and my pedal wasn't returning all the way and after I adjusted mine tighter it brought the pedal up. When you tried to get that brake drum off was it loose on the axle hub or rusted to it. If it's rusted try heating around the drum in the center with a propane torch and wack the corner of the drum with a good size hammer in different places. If it is loose on the hub and won't come off then you will have to try and close down the shoes by using the star wheel inside the drum.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 8:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

As others have said, brake shoe dragging. This isn't a recommended method, but sometimes when you get desperate enough you can get one side of the drum cocked out, then rotate the axle and most the time the drum will work it's way off. You might scar the shoe if there's rust/scale built up on the lip of the drum. I would recommend trying to loosen the adjuster star as others have stated above by going through the backing plate. You may loose your religion trying to get to it, but it may be the only way.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

On my brake drums there are knock out plugs where you can put the rubber plugs in also instead of the backing plates. If when you get the drums off you decide to do a rear brake job don't be cheap put all new shoes, drums, and brake spring kits on each side. I would also get new star wheel adjusters for both sides also. As long as your brake adjusters are working properly to do a final adjust on the rear brakes put the car in reverse and give it some gas and hit the brakes hard. Do this three or four times and the automatic adjusters will set the brake shoe to drum clearance themselves.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Most of the time when I drive my car I have smoke coming from both rear wheel wells.
mr 4 speed, HKalin and bry66 like this.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 12:32 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

Could also be a small gear oil leak gettin on the shoes, it can be a very mild leak and not get to the ground.

Donuts on your lawn.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 17, 12:34 AM
Tech Team
kent

Any update here? Were you able to get the drum off?
HKalin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 719 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.