'70 Wagon Build Thread* - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

'70 Wagon Build Thread*

So, I don't know if this is the place for it or not, but I figure I'll start a build thread for the '70 Wagon. As I right this, I am still not 100% sure which way I'm going to go with this thing although I'm pretty sure that no matter what I do, it will be a sleeper. Meant more for cruising and the occasional stop light drag strip.

Currently it's a 307 with automatic. Overall a pretty plain Jane car that is almost completely original. White exterior with blue interior, so nothing fancy.

I do have a L96 with 6L90E transmission sitting in the garage that will most likely be dropped into the wagon, and for the LS related stuff I'll probably create and update a build thread there and copy the link to this post and my sig. I like to update the first post of any build thread with parts and such that are used because it makes it a lot easier for other people to find this stuff instead of having to sift through hundreds of posts for relevant information.

3 x a charm likes this.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 15, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread*

Nice looking wagon, looking forward to reading about your build. My 72 is getting an L29/4L80E combo and going for the sleeper look as well.
Will a 6L90 fit under the floor?

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 15, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

The short answer is that with enough time and money, everything will fit! But seriously, the floor will probably have to be raised an inch or so. Not sure if I'm going to cut the top off or just slice it down the center. The pan on the other hand is a different story. No one makes a shallow 6L90 pan, which is bigger than the 6L80. So, what I am likely going to do is either graft part of the 6L90 pan to the 6L80 pan, or just add material to the front of the pan to accommodate the bigger bolt area. You can see the differences in post 43 and 171 of this thread.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Niiice, another '70! Wonderful starting point with great potential.

Welcome to the madness.

Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 7:05 PM
Administrator

Garage

Saw the trans and the pan mod you referred to. Looking forward to your build. I second what Tom said, "Welcome to the Madness".

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
Niiice, another '70! Wonderful starting point with great potential.

Welcome to the madness.

Tom
Thank you. It is indeed madness. All kinds of things going through my head. Lots learned on the LS swap on my '69 Firebird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Saw the trans and the pan mod you referred to. Looking forward to your build. I second what Tom said, "Welcome to the Madness".
I'm still figuring out what way to go, but my thought right now is to cut the front half or back half, which ever it is of the 6L90 pan and graft it to the 6L80 pan. I think trying to section the 6L90 pan may be more time consuming though it has the benefit of not modifying the pan mounting surface.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 15, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I picked up a complete rear axle from a '02 SS Camaro this weekend and got the brakes stripped off of it. I picked up the front calipers, rotors, and brackets as well in the deal. So, if anyone needs a rear-end from a '02 Camaro SS that had about 30k on it, let me know.

Tomorrow I take the pan off of the 6L90 and if the pan from the G8 shows up, I'll be taking that to some one later this week to see about modifying one or both to provide me the clearance I need.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 4:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

10 Bolt Rebuild:

The axle is a CCA, so 3.08 open diff.

Mega rebuild kit: 83-1022M
Auburn L/S Carrier: 5420108
Richmond Gear set in 3.08: 4900111

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I've created a BT over on LS1 Tech for those interested. Not sure how often I will update this thread.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 7:00 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Looking good Sprech - very clean wagon!
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 15, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Thanks!

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old May 8th, 15, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Well, it has begun. Stay tuned. updates and pics over on LS1T.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old May 10th, 15, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

OK, tons more progress today. As you can see, the body and frame were divorced. The only casualty was the e brake cable. Not sure how I missed it, but I did. Went pretty smoothly with the only exception being the rear of the frame hanging up on a set of nuts that are part of the storage pan.

The hangup.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old May 10th, 15, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread L96 w/6L90E

The plan for tomorrow is to at least get the 307 out and we'll call it the stretch goal to get the LS motor and trans in there. Once the test fit is done, then the frame will get partially cleaned up, painted, and since the new body bushings don't get here until Monday, I won't be doing anything with them.

One item to note on the wagons is that there is a cushion that's effectively under the b-pillar. GM put a nut in there so you can actually bolt that section of the body to the frame if you want. I need to get the additional hardware to do those two, but it will likely be worth it.

The stock setup was to put a cushion even though you could actually mount at this point in the frame.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old May 10th, 15, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

That B-pillar location is used on Monte Carlos, and that is how I knew of it for use when doing my 70 El Camino 20 years back, and my 70 wagon more recently. I have also found it used on some A-body Buicks I have looked at. I feel it will tighten up the chassis somewhat, can't hurt at any rate.

I bought bushings for a Monte to get all of the extra bolted bushings I needed. Turns out it didn't have the floater bushings for over the rear axle. Later I found a place that sold individual pieces, maybe these guys (can't remember) http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

Also, those bolts in the well may be leftovers from a semi or non frame mount trailer hitch

Good luck,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in