Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 10:24 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage
Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread*

Sprech your chassis work is coming along Great - along with everything. Thanks for post pics, looking forward to more up dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Thanks Daryl, I expect to get a lot done by next weekend. I will take and post pics as regularly as possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 15, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Got some more done today.

Put the intake manifold back on.

Mounted rear F-body calipers

Worked on the in-tank fuel pump assembly.

Still a little modification necessary to get it to pick up at the very bottom of the tank.

I also need to find the torque specs to reassemble a few things like the intake and exhaust manifolds, the torque convert to flex plate, bell housing bolts, starter, trans pan etc.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 15, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I was always told to have the pickup, and in this case the pump, off the bottom of the tank to prevent sucking stuff on the bottom of the tank as well as keeping the pickup/pump from getting damaged or dislodged if the tank gets hit and caved in. Yours looks to be on the floor. Is this OK?

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 15, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I have to bend the tubes a little to the left in this picture for it to hover above the bottom. The screen that goes on the bottom of the pump should prevent it from getting contaminated with anything that is in there. I will probably do a quick flush before final assembly and put gas in it.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 15, 4:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Power steering hose fun. Using the Jeep Grand Cherokee box with the factory Express Van p/s pump, you can see that things are in close proximity to each other. I ended up having a hose built locally, which unfortunately was not cheap. All told, about $80 to do it.

With the short 90* fitting.

Top view with everything installed. I will likely shorten the return line although I'm not sure how much shorter I can go without possibly kinking the return line.

You can see, sort of, that I went with the long 90* for the pressure side and the short with an extender for the low side. This allowed the return line to the pump to not rub on the return fitting.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 2:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Spent the day replacing the center link in my F350 and getting it realigned, as well as running down some parts. Finding fuel submersible wire in this town is basically impossible. I have tried to get some from Racetronix, but I will just say I'm not overwhelmed by their customer service.

I did manage to finally get the driveshaft yesterday. Apparently there isn't a 1310 to 1410 conversion joint, Dan's Driveline managed to scrounge up a tail piece that held a 1330. I also managed to get the engine harness mostly installed. It turns out that the G-body down pipes put the O2 bungs further than the harness was designed for. Summit has Caspers p/n 109011 (24") and 109010 (12") O2 extensions for the best price.

Fluids, filters, Rigid 377, and a bunch of -AN fittings showed up today. Battery showing up tomorrow. Plan to turn her over by tomorrow night and fire her up on Saturday at the latest. Unless I get the fuel pump assembly built and installed in the tank. Not sure if the zinc plated, copper lined 3/8 line I bought will have any issues with the gasoline or not.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 1:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 2:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

So I built this semi-elaborate wagon in-tank fuel pump pick and assembly. Got it all tweaked so the pump was just above the seam of the tank, installed two of the 6 bolts holding the assembly and installed the fuel sending unit. Something didn't feel right. So I looked in the filler hole and the damn sender float was hung up on the fuel pump assembly. I tried to re-bend it to make it all work, the new pick-up assembly, but to no avail. I'm going to go get some more straight tube tomorrow and basically put that in unbent. The way the 6-hole cap sits on the tank, it angles over a little and should clear the fuel sender float with no issue.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

It's the little details that seem to take the longest, but wind up being the most important part of the build, nice work!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

So, it's a small victory, but I got her to turn over. I'm not done with the fuel tank, but with any luck/skill, it will fire up tonight.

She cranks

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

i remember that moment with mine. greta feeling getting forward motion on a project. Congrats!

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 9:52 PM

hows your build going?
post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 18, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Hey folks, I know I haven't updated much as of late, but things have been super busy. I haven't actually seen the car in almost three years as it's been with the min sec prison in Las Vegas.

One thing I've toiled over ad nauseam is the fuel tank. To my knowledge, no one is re-popping the '70 saddle fuel tank, so I'm really leaning towards a '70 El Camino EFI tank and modifying the fill tube so I can fill through the stock fuel door. By all accounts, there is the dimple in the frame rail in the back to accommodate the elky filler tube, but the problem is the storage pan in the floor that goes right where the fuel tank would occupy. I'm thinking of cutting the tub out and then installing a thin diamond plate for the floor but I can' remember if the floor in the back is flat or not.

I went with a POL iron Corvette brake master cylinder assembly as it seems that Autozone had a bad batch of m/c's or that their rebuilder is not up to speed on building them right.

I scrapped the Lokar 1805 due to clearance issues on the firewall with the billet arm for the CPP stainless adjustable rod.

Both the m/c and shift rod are currently being installed, so I don't know how well they work just yet.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 18, 8:34 AM
Administrator

Garage

Bryan the stock fuel tank works well with an intank pump. Due to the shape a sump isn't really needed. I have over 8000 miles on my wagon and can run down to 3-4 gallons left in the tank with no issues.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in